FM3 with PS100

Cdan1296

Can some body please tell me the best way to run my FM3 Directly to the Fryette Power Station 100.
I find if I do either Output 1 or 2 from FM3 to the Line In of the PS100 there isn't much volume.
I need Stage volume.
What I have done so far was to go into I/O settings on FM3 make sure my output is at Line Level NOT unity gain.
Then don't use the "Line in" on PS100 but rather go into the Effects Return input. This gives me great volume!
but is this correct? I am not using Cab sims I am going out of the PS100 into a cab. So basically I am using the
PS100 as a power amp and the Fm3 has become my pre-amp. I am using some amp blocks then adding effects
after the amp block.

Yes, effects return would be fine.
Ok I am coming out of FM3 Output 2 mainly because only out 2 gives you the Line Level option in I/O settings.
So I am Guitar going into the Input 1 of FM3, coming out Output 2 FM3 into Effects Return of PS100 then Speaker Out
of PS100 directly to the Cabinet. My Presets Blocks are Input 1, Compression block, Amp Block, Delay block, Rev Block, Output 2 Block.
I guess this is right.

I've found I have to really crank up the level in the output block when I run into my ps100. Not sure if I'm running at +4 or -10 on the outputs, I'll check later. That could be what I'm doing wrong.

Can some body please tell me the best way to run my FM3 Directly to the Fryette Power Station 100.
I find if I do either Output 1 or 2 from FM3 to the Line In of the PS100 there isn't much volume.
I need Stage volume.
What I have done so far was to go into I/O settings on FM3 make sure my output is at Line Level NOT unity gain.
Then don't use the "Line in" on PS100 but rather go into the Effects Return input. This gives me great volume!
but is this correct? I am not using Cab sims I am going out of the PS100 into a cab. So basically I am using the
PS100 as a power amp and the Fm3 has become my pre-amp. I am using some amp blocks then adding effects
after the amp block.

Just an observation .... I think the PS100 is real-tube powered (?)

If so / given this ...... it would be recommended to also TURN-OFF " Power Amp Modelling " in Global Settings and you already [presumably] have " Cabinet Modelling " TURNED-OFF in Global Settings as you are using a real Cab.

My point is just that you are then using the FM3 purely as a Pre-amp .... only 1/3rd of its capabilities .... but most importantly if it sounds good then it is good :)

All the best,
Ben

Just an observation .... I think the PS100 is real-tube powered (?)

If so / given this ...... it would be recommended to also TURN-OFF " Power Amp Modelling " in Global Settings and you already [presumably] have " Cabinet Modelling " TURNED-OFF in Global Settings as you are using a real Cab.

My point is just that you are then using the FM3 purely as a Pre-amp .... only 1/3rd of its capabilities .... but most importantly if it sounds good then it is good :)

All the best,
Ben
No don't do this. The PS-100 is basically a "neutral" tube amp. It's not meant to make much of a character of its own. It works perfectly fine when used together with poweramp modeling and sounds better that way too. At most you may want to rein back the speaker impedance curve effects by trying the "resistive load" setting or different impedance curves to better match your real cab.

If the effects return input works for you then that should be fine. I don't understand why you aren't getting enough volume with the preamp input though. On my Fryette PS-2 I get ample volume when plugging into the preamp input. As laxu said, leave the power amp modeling on.

Bumping an old thread in case anyone else needs help. I just connected my FM3 to my Fryette Power Station 100 and then to a 4x12 cab.

Out 2 from FM3 into Line Input on the PS. FM3 output 2 set to Line Level, +4 dBu. Fryette Line Level knob on the rear of the unit up all the way. Most importantly, hardware volume knobs on the FM3 cranked — this was the piece that I missed for too long, I was struggling with oddly low output volume from my cab.

Old thread bump.
I had this issue, here is how I resolved it.

i contacted Fryette support and Dave Fryette himself responded and told me to run my FM3/FM9 into the PS-100 FX return for greatest output level (I was using an Origin 50 FX return with the modeler initially).
His response to my query:
Thank you for contacting Fryette Amplification.

When using the Line In, you will need .5VRMS for full output with the Volume at maximum.

When you are connecting to the FX return on the OR 50, it will naturally display a much higher sensitivity than the Line In on the PS-100.

Also, I suspect the OR master volume is before the loop, so doesn’t control the incoming loop return level.

To get a similar performance with the PS-100 as on the OR, set the Volume to maximum and use the FX Return instead of the Line In.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Dave
I set FMx out level to +4 dBu and adjusted PS-100 and modeler levels to taste. Very, very loud!

The other issue I had was a very loud hum. Turned out it was ground loop related. I engaged the ground lift switch and it disappeared.

The PS-100 is a great piece of kit!!!

I need Stage volume.
after the amp block.
To line in on the fryette, use Output 2 set to unity gain, set output 2 volume knob max. Set output 2 to copy output 1

Back
Top Bottom