FM3 with other midi controllers

[…] I’m curious to know if any of you had experience running the FM with other midi controllers […]
To clarify, the FC controllers are not MIDI at all, they're a proprietary protocol.

Cliff said in FASLINK II in the Wiki:
"The communication protocol between the III and the FC's is proprietary and not MIDI-based. The FC's are sort of "dumb terminals". All the they do is tell the III "button #3 was pressed" and the III responds by saying "light LED ring #3 blue" or "display 'My Preset' on the main LCD". This way all the configuration data is on the III and when you backup you backup the foot controller as well. It also means if a foot controller fails you don't have to reprogram a new one (which is a big deal for touring acts where the gear gets hammered on and last second change-outs are common)." [15]
"It's not standard MIDI. The Axe-Fx III uses a proprietary communication protocol. Devices can communicate over any physical layer by wrapping and unwrapping the comm protocol. Theoretically you can control it over MIDI, Ethernet, WiFi, RS-232, AppleTalk, Sneakernet, etc. The MIDI basics are there, of course, but to access the tuner, etc. you need to wrap and unwrap the protocol layer." [16]
"FASLINK is not MIDI. The FC-6/12 are "terminals". They record button presses and send the button press to the host. The host sends messages to the terminal which tells the terminal what color to display on the LEDs and what text to display on the LCDs." [17]

Further, what didn’t you like on the OMG9/15 setup?

There's little to not like because it's so easy to modify and customize to do whatever else we want. I've modified both my OMG9 and OMG15 tweaking this 'n that.

I posted this back in Feb. Hope it helps.
Hello folks,
I'm a new convert to the FM3 (from helix floor) and, for my needs, it provides everything and then some.
I also had a FCB1010 that I've had for many years, but haven't used because I could never master the programming. I tried connecting it to the FM3 for external control and again struggled, in spite of generous and wise folk like 'Ugly Bunny's' advice and sys files (using a UnO eprom).
However, I then discovered the latest Eureka eprom which has pre-installed features (i.e. little or no programing) specifically for Fractal products including the FM3. It provides 3 modes that give access to Scenes (all 8), Presets (all of them) and (10) Effects, plus two pedals for volume or expression manipulation. So, for only a few hundred dollars ($AU, much less in the US) for an FCB1010 + Eureka eprom + long midi cable, I have pretty extensive control. I'm sure that the more expensive controllers may have advantages, but for those of us on more limited budgets, it's a great option.
Hope this is of use to some.
Cheers, and thanks for all the great advice available in this forum.

I use the RJM Mastermind PBC/10: so, my FM3 and Lexicon Reverb are controlled by MIDI and the other half of my rig, the pedals that I can't bear to part with, and the Friedman Smallbox are controlled by the "analogue" side of the PBC.

It is a winning combination, it's very flexible, it has a great software editor but it does require a few cables (!) and a lot of thought.

New firmware and editor updates are regularly released and the support by RJM is second to none.

I use the Morningstar MC6MKII, you can read everything about my setup here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/need-other-switching-layout-ideas.172718/post-2090146
I use one of these as well, after years of buying and even building midi controllers, the MC6MKII is the best overall. I have 3 banks on the MC6 to control the FM3; effects, scenes, and presets. I built and added an external pedal with 3 buttons that switch between the banks on the MC6. I then have tap tempo and delays on the FM3 buttons. This (along with two CC pedals into the FM3, one for cab block volume and another for delay levels) makes a killer live rig I've been very happy with. No desire yet for a FC6 or FC12.

i use the behringer (ew, i know) fc1010. The reason I went with it over the others is I knew that once I had it I would hardly ever use it (I don't play live)... and sure enough haven't stepped on it in months. It does do a pretty good job all things considered. Had to do some internal hopscotch to get it going but... have presets that will "jump" around from one end to the other in presets, others that will turn on/off comp/dist/rev/delay, others that will give me 'favorite' presets... created labels for it so I'd be able to remember how to use it. At the end of the day about all I use it for is the occasional wah. ymmv.

I posted this back in Feb. Hope it helps.
Hello folks,
I'm a new convert to the FM3 (from helix floor) and, for my needs, it provides everything and then some.
I also had a FCB1010 that I've had for many years, but haven't used because I could never master the programming. I tried connecting it to the FM3 for external control and again struggled, in spite of generous and wise folk like 'Ugly Bunny's' advice and sys files (using a UnO eprom).
However, I then discovered the latest Eureka eprom which has pre-installed features (i.e. little or no programing) specifically for Fractal products including the FM3. It provides 3 modes that give access to Scenes (all 8), Presets (all of them) and (10) Effects, plus two pedals for volume or expression manipulation. So, for only a few hundred dollars ($AU, much less in the US) for an FCB1010 + Eureka eprom + long midi cable, I have pretty extensive control. I'm sure that the more expensive controllers may have advantages, but for those of us on more limited budgets, it's a great option.
Hope this is of use to some.
Cheers, and thanks for all the great advice available in this forum.
So I've been thinking of dusting mine off again. I used it with my Elevenrack and was happy with it. I goofed around a bit after I got my FM3, but it seemed like the out of the box Eureka ePROM stuff didn't seem to work right (I don't remember the details).

One question: it looks like you can only use the one-cable method with the FM3. Is that correct?

So I've been thinking of dusting mine off again. I used it with my Elevenrack and was happy with it. I goofed around a bit after I got my FM3, but it seemed like the out of the box Eureka ePROM stuff didn't seem to work right (I don't remember the details).

One question: it looks like you can only use the one-cable method with the FM3. Is that correct?
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have guitar cable in to FM3, GR55 into the returns, L & R outs to mixer for recording and L & R outs to two Katanas (power amp inputs). I'm not sure if that's the one cable method or not.
With the Eureka loaded FCB I just go from the midi out of the FCB to the midi in of the FM3.

All of the Fractal functions work perfectly for me, so if you have a problem, could be a faulty (or older) eprom?

I hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay in replying.

I have guitar cable in to FM3, GR55 into the returns, L & R outs to mixer for recording and L & R outs to two Katanas (power amp inputs). I'm not sure if that's the one cable method or not.
With the Eureka loaded FCB I just go from the midi out of the FCB to the midi in of the FM3.

All of the Fractal functions work perfectly for me, so if you have a problem, could be a faulty (or older) eprom?

I hope you get it sorted.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I was just talking about the MIDI cables, not the audio path, but I think you answered it. Basically, MIDI signals go from FCB to FM3, but no MIDI signal is going from FM3 to FCB. Correct?

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I was just talking about the MIDI cables, not the audio path, but I think you answered it. Basically, MIDI signals go from FCB to FM3, but no MIDI signal is going from FM3 to FCB. Correct?
Yes, that's correct. Because of all of the things (i.e. scenes, presets, expression control & effects) immediately available via the eureka I haven't had a need to have any other info going the other way.

For my FM3, I’m using a Luminite M1 (upper right hand corner) and X/Y controllers. The X/Y’s are two small joysticks that register in four directions each plus a push function, so 10 actions per “page” on the M1 (with 12 pages of actions). The X/Y mounts directly on my guitar and communicates via 2.4ghz to the M1, which can output midi via 5 pin, Trs, usb, or Bluetooth. So I essentially have a midi controller on my guitar, but the brain on my pedalboard. The M1 can also be used as a touchscreen controller; I used to have it mounted on my mic stand, but am digging having everything on the pedalboard wired and ready.

I currently use the M1 for turning individual effects on and off (though any action can send combinations of any CC, PC or sysex messages), the “loooper” foot controller (anybody remember Dave Bogg’s true bypass boxes?) connecting directly to the FM3 to select layouts and navigate, and the FM3 buttons to select presets or scenes. Pretty compact overall, and nice to be able to run around the stage and still trigger effects.

Attachments

• IMG_5838.jpeg
    IMG_5838.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I use a Voes MX-9 for scenes and tuner (or tap tempo) and a Blackstar for presets. They’re surrounded by a Mission SP-1 and a Fractal EV-2. I also made a version that uses the Blackstar to switch between the 4 amps using “Scene Ignore” and scroll presets and the Voes as my “pedalboard” but I don’t use that one very much. I prefer the first one but knowing I have that other version saved for each unit is great.

The synch between the Blackstar and the app is pretty much immediate so you can try stuff out and adjust it fast. That’s a big help, especially if you can’t seem to remember which Ex you’re using for the expression pedals. The synch between the Voes and its app is longer but it’s not a big deal.

All that said, a Voes MX-12 would’ve been perfect but I pulled the trigger too quick on the MX-9. Using what I have now, and if I had my druthers, I’d prefer the Voes MX-5 in place of the Blackstar. The function of the Blackstar is good, but the LEDs above the buttons don’t stay on and the 5th and 6th buttons are odd. I’ll probably make this change sometime in the first half of the year, but I’ve spent enough time building my board that I’d like to enjoy it for at least a little while before I tear the whole thing apart. Again. For the 3rd time lol

Back
Top Bottom