FM3 with other midi controllers

Roadrunner

Power User
Hi all.
Obviously the FM3 can be paired with the FC6/12 but I’m curious to know if any of you had experience running the FM with other midi controllers like rjm GT’s etc.
Further, what didn’t you like on the OMG9/15 setup?
Thanks.

I use a Harley-Benton MP-100 MIDI Foot Controller with firmware for Meloaudio Midi Commander because the HB is just a rebranded Melodaudio and the same device.
With the Meloaudio Firmware you can use it for scene switching and preset up down.

Last edited:
I'am using Voes MX9! Very pleased with it. 9 switches, 4 layers, 2 pages, super editor. Not really bidirectional but I can handle it😅 voes.be

The MX-9 is bidirectional! However, because of the lack of a LCD on the MX-9, you won't benefit of most sync options like preset name, scene name, tuner info.

@Roadrunner
Check my MX midi foot controllers. Syncs with the FM3. Sync Preset name, scene name, active scene, block fx on/off state, selected channel, tuner info, tempo....
3 pages (2 fully programmable, 1 preset page). 2 layers per button (normal press and long press). 7-color LED per button.
Especially the MX-12 3x4 is a nice combination with the FM3. Roughly the same size as the FC-6 but with double amount of buttons at an attractive price.

With the special VF-cable, you need only one cable to sync data and to provide the MX with power from the FM3.

More info on www.voes.be

mx12_3x4-03.jpg

mx5-01.jpg

MX-12 & FM3:

VF-cable:

MX-5 & FM3:

@Roadrunner
Check my MX midi foot controllers. Syncs with the FM3. Sync Preset name, scene name, active scene, block fx on/off state, selected channel, tuner info, tempo....
3 pages (2 fully programmable, 1 preset page). 2 layers per button (normal press and long press). 7-color LED per button.
Especially the MX-12 3x4 is a nice combination with the FM3. Roughly the same size as the FC-6 but with double amount of buttons at an attractive price.

With the special VF-cable, you need only one cable to sync data and to provide the MX with power from the FM3.

More info on www.voes.be
Thanks Patrick.
I've already sent you an email about it this morning.

Voes looks like good stuff. I had a Morningstar MC6 mk2 for a while. Considered pirate midi also. Ultimately ended up with a FC6

Last edited:
The MX-9 is bidirectional! However, because of the lack of a LCD on the MX-9, you won't benefit of most sync options like preset name, scene name, tuner info.

So do you mean that if you eg have a drive on/off it can light up if the drive is already on?
Thx / Joakim

So do you mean that if you eg have a drive on/off it can light up if the drive is already on?
Thx / Joakim
Yes. but only, and this is important, if the MX is master.

Like any other Midi controller, the MX must be master and the Midi device (FM3) must be slave.
Oherwise, when you push a FM3 button, the FM3 will act as master and the MX should follow as slave.
But the FM3 will not send any signal to the MIDI out when a FM3 button is pushed, so the MX is not aware of this change and can't act accordingly.

You can solve this easily by making the MX master. Here are some suggestions:
MX: presets + bank up/down FM3: scenes and/or block FX
MX: scenes + preset up/down FM3: block FX - tempo/tuner
MX: presets + bank up/down on page 1 and scenes + tempo/tuner on page 2 FM3: block FX....

Last edited:
I'm using the Disaster Area Designs DMC-3XL Gen3 MIDI pedal. It has 2 usable buttons (third is for setup & utility) plus expression jack which FM3 doesn't support. The latest firmware on the DMC-3 allows for a secondary hold function which is great.

My setup has the FM3 on its performance page with the following:

Button 1 - Control Switch 1
Button 2 - Tuner
Button 3 - Control Switch 2

DMC-3XL
Left Tap - Scene minus one
Right Tap - Scene plus one
Left Hold - Preset minus one
Right Hold - Preset plus one

Both expression jacks have pedals connected to them. I could program extra features however when my band ever gets to rehearsing again, perhaps I will add. For now, each preset determines how the control switch gets activated (toggle or momentary).

The setup pales in comparison to some of the amazing setups I've seen in the forum but works for me (for now). Note the FM3 is not mounted on a board which is done by personal preference. The board space is just begging for an FC-6 which may happen in the future.

Attachments

• FM3 current.PNG
    FM3 current.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Currently using it with Tech 21 Midi Mongoose.
I wanted something very simple, which was to use 5 Presets per the 5 stomps.
After trying to do some more complex MIDI configurations, I found the easiest way
was just to set those 5 presets as the 5 initial ones and move the rest of the presets 5 up😅😅😅

Soirry Patrick, maybe it's obvious but how/where do I set the MX for being master?

@diskoduck : it is just the way you use the FM3 buttons. There is no parameter you have to set.

If you use the MX /FM3 this way, you are good:

MX: presets + bank up/down FM3: scenes and/or block FX
or
MX: scenes + preset up/down FM3: block FX - tempo/tuner
or
MX: presets + bank up/down on page 1 and scenes + tempo/tuner on page 2 FM3: block FX....
or

this way the FM3 will always follow the MX.

Let's not hijack this thread. If this does not make sense to you or if you have any further questions, send me a PM or mail me directly and we will figure it out together.

Back
Top Bottom