FM3 with Midi Sync from SDRUM

caballero59

Inspired
Pretty excited about this. Plugged the SDRUM into Input2 with the Midi cable (SDRUM provides the clock) and the tempos sync up. I can adjust the tempo on the FM3 with the tempo knob on the SDRUM.

Since I'm not coming from the FX III, I'm super impressed with the functionality of this unit. It replaced four other pieces of equipment for me. Only complaint is the combination of Reaper, FM3 Edit, and FM3 is not stable. I've needed to reboot computer and or FM3 quite a few times.

If someone could give me a hint on now to enable the FM3 to recognize midi start/stop messages from the SDRUM, I would really appreciate it. The MIDI/Remote menu has a selection for Looper Start and Stop but I don't know what the values should be.

The Fractal products do not use midi start/stop messages.

You would need to use midi CC values to control the Looper.

No... You already have midi beat clock working.

You need something that can send specific midi CC values for stop and play.

I pulled up the SDRUM manual and there's nothing in there about midi so no idea what it supports.

If it can't send CCs then you'd need something that "maps" stop/start to CCs.

Over a couple of hours of just repeating a loop with the looper, the timing synch drifts slightly between the FM3 and the SDRUM.

To solve this issue, you need to use "The instant Restart Method"
Every so often on the downbeat where the loop aligns (usually a bar line), send a message to stop the looper, then send a message to start it again. Place these messages as close together as possible and experiment with their actual position on your sequencer's timeline.

This works to keep the Looper, Sequencer, and Controller LFOs sync'd over any duration of time.

The reason you need to do this is that while it syncs its tempo to external MIDI Beat Clock, the FM3 does not recognize MIDI Song Position Pointer ("SPP").

Using that method, would I be able to sync our 2 FM3s and use loopers in sync ?

Thanks for answering Matt

To solve this issue, you need to use "The instant Restart Method"
Every so often on the downbeat where the loop aligns (usually a bar line), send a message to stop the looper, then send a message to start it again. Place these messages as close together as possible and experiment with their actual position on your sequencer's timeline.

This works to keep the Looper, Sequencer, and Controller LFOs sync'd over any duration of time.

The reason you need to do this is that while it syncs its tempo to external MIDI Beat Clock, the FM3 does not recognize MIDI Song Position Pointer ("SPP").
The SDRUM is a pedal-format drum machine and the user has no access to any internal programming other than starting and stopping it.

Back
Top Bottom