FM3 with GR55

podling9

Greetings,

I wonder if anyone has used a GR55 with their FM3. I'm particularly interested in the better way to insert the GR55 into the two return inputs (for stereo) and the better way to utilize two cab IRs (e.g. one for acoustic sounds from the synth and one for the magnetic signal).

Any thoughts and/or suggestions, or pointing me to where this has been discussed previously would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not GR55 nor FM3, but I did use a GR33 into an Ultra. Our PA was mono, so here was no point in using stereo. Mono out from GR33 into Input2, no CAB, just mixing, then out of Output2. Set the output volume of the GR to maximum to get the best signal to noise ratio.

I briefly used a GR55 with my AxeFX2, but I quickly ditched the GR55 because of its insane noise levels. If I were to use it in the FM3, I'd do the following.

If you're only using the GR55 for synths and sims, no dry guitar signal, just skip the first step and plug your magnetic pickups straight into other FM3 input instead:
1) GR55 Guitar Out -> FM3 Input 1
2) GR55 mono main out -> FM3 Input 2 (going stereo won't work if you want to use separate cab block IRs in the FM3, so only take one of the main outs)
3) Dry guitar signal in the FM3 goes into whatever effects you want and then the amp block. Be sure to set the output balance of the amp block to hard left (or right).
4) GR55 signal enters the grid on Input 2 and goes into whatever separate effects you want. Make sure the balance in the last block before the cab block is panned hard right (or the opposite of whatever you have in step 3).
5) Select your two cab IRs in the cab block and pan them hard left and right accordingly. Make sure to set the input mode in the cab block to stereo.
If you're running them both to the same output:
6a) Whatever combined effects you want after
If you want to keep them separate:
6b) Run the two signal paths to their separate effects on separate rows. Make sure to either set the input of the first blocks after the cab block to the corresponding left or right only, or if the block doesn't have that choice, put something in front of it that can do that.
7b) Run the guitar signal to Output 1 and the GR55 signal to Output 2.

Last edited:
I continuously use the GR-55 w/ the FM3. Sorry, but my setup is different, so no help here. From the GR-55 the normal pickup signal goes to the FM3. Each unit then separately passes the processed signals to my looper. The combined signals are then routed to the FRFR.

So, are you using the GR-55 as part of the signal chain in the FM3?

Thank you Roland, Poparad and fcs101for your replies and advice.

fcs101, yes I'm trying to.

I'm very much a beginner with the FM3, here's an image of my first attempt at a setup and the acoustic IRs I've used so far.
I'm connecting the guitar to the main guitar input on the FM3 and the GR55 outs to the returns 1 & 2.
Is this the best way to connect things and the best way to organize the preset in the editor?
As it seems that you can only have one cab per preset, can you split the input to the cab so that I can have an actual cab (for the amp) and the acoustic IR (for the GR55)?

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the FM3 and I need to get a separate IR device for the synth acoustic sounds.

Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPG

As it seems that you can only have one cab per preset, can you split the input to the cab so that I can have an actual cab (for the amp) and the acoustic IR (for the GR55)?

Perhaps I'm asking too much of the FM3 and I need to get a separate IR device for the synth acoustic sounds.
Yes, you can. See my post. And yes, a separate IR device would simplify things greatly.

Thank you Roland, Poparad and fcs101for your replies and advice.

fcs101, yes I'm trying to.

I'm very much a beginner with the FM3, here's an image of my first attempt at a setup and the acoustic IRs I've used so far.
I'm connecting the guitar to the main guitar input on the FM3 and the GR55 outs to the returns 1 & 2.
Is this the best way to connect things and the best way to organize the preset in the editor?

View attachment 99368View attachment 99369
I'm still unclear on your signal chain. You have to use the 13-pin cable with the GR-55, yes? So are you then sending that signal to 'Input 2'?

Yes, you can split the amp and cab clocks as above. Obviously you won't then have the cab for your mag pick ups though.

What is the purpose of the Output blocks in series?

For what you are trying to accomplish, I'm suspecting the FM9 might be better suited (or a separate IR device). I guess one question is if the idea is to use both paths simultaneously? If you are switching back and forth between mag pick ups and the GR-55, then you could accomplish much with using different Channels (so have one scene for the mag pick ups and a second scene with different Channels for the GR-55).

Last edited:
Once again, thank you all very much for your advice, I'll try to put it to use.

To fcs101, yes - GK3 to GR55 then L&R (GR55) outs to FM3 returns 1&2. I can't explain the output blocks in series, as I said, I have no idea what I am/was doing, so I was just trying things out. Hence seeking your, and the others', wonderful advice.

Once again, thank you all very much for your advice, I'll try to put it to use.

To fcs101, yes - GK3 to GR55 then L&R (GR55) outs to FM3 returns 1&2. I can't explain the output blocks in series, as I said, I have no idea what I am/was doing, so I was just trying things out. Hence seeking your, and the others', wonderful advice.
Ok, you can probably delete one of the Output blocks then. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom