FM3 with FBC1010

nickxmix

Inspired
Hi I'm looking at an FM3 but at this stage with just the 3 buttons it seems to be toe tapping dance to change presets per song and then to get to 5 scenes like I can now with the AXE-FXII and FBC1010 using 1 up/down switch getting me to the preset I want, which also sets to scene1 then I have the rest of the bottom row for scenes 2-5 .
So has anyone setup their FBC1010 to work with their FM3.
Thanks.

If you're interested, I made a series on YouTube about using the FCB1010 with the Axe Fx III; it would be nearly identical to set it up with the FM3. Just look for username "Ugly Bunny" and "Axe Fx III & FCB1010."

I would also suggest a different approach: I use OnSong on my iPad which connects via Bluetooth to a wireless MIDI dongle that plugs into the FM3. Then, when I switch a song on OnSong (using a Bluetooth page turner pedal or whatever), it sends MIDI commands to change presets, scenes, turn effect blocks on and off, and even changes parameters within effect blocks. With this level of automation (which is actually fairly simple to setup), I find the 3 foot switches are more than adequate; often I don't need more than one, and I use per-preset foot switches for every preset, so they're all fully customized.

In any case, the FCB1010 will work wonderfully.

Hi I'm looking at an FM3 but at this stage with just the 3 buttons it seems to be toe tapping dance to change presets per song and then to get to 5 scenes like I can now with the AXE-FXII and FBC1010 using 1 up/down switch getting me to the preset I want, which also sets to scene1 then I have the rest of the bottom row for scenes 2-5 .
So has anyone setup their FBC1010 to work with their FM3.
Thanks.
I have used the FBC1010 with the standard, the ultra, the II, the III, and the FM3. I do use another midi controller now for size (Morningstar MC8), but the FCB1010 is my backup and given the two built in expression pedals is freaking excellent.

I use the FM3 without the additional boards and I find less tap-dancing than my AX8 that had 11 buttons.
Don't let the 3 buttons put you off. The FM3 is an amazing workhorse and I would recommend you try the FM3 on it's own before looking at extra kit.
I am using the "scene" layout and have 6 scenes instantly available plus the tuner and looper. I also use a Boss F7 for banks up and down.
I think I would be doing a lot more tap dancing with the FM6.

I am currently trying to set up my FCB1010 to work with the FM3, however, I can't seem to select specific presets. My FM3 presets start from 405 - so I'd like footswitch 00/1 on the fcb to address this preset. According to the reference table of the FM3 I need to send CC#3 + PC 21 to jump to this preset.

I did configure CNT with 03/127 and PROG CHG 1 to 21, however the FM3 will open preset 20 instead of 405. I guess I didn't configure the Control Change correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.

I am currently trying to set up my FCB1010 to work with the FM3, however, I can't seem to select specific presets. My FM3 presets start from 405 - so I'd like footswitch 00/1 on the fcb to address this preset. According to the reference table of the FM3 I need to send CC#3 + PC 21 to jump to this preset.

I did configure CNT with 03/127 and PROG CHG 1 to 21, however the FM3 will open preset 20 instead of 405. I guess I didn't configure the Control Change correctly?

Any help would be appreciated.
As good as I got with the FCB1010, I never figured out how to make it correctly select any presets beyond the first bank. IT was definitely a bug with the Axe Fx, as selecting banks didn't work and I don't know if they ever fixed this. I got an FC6 as soon as they were available so I haven't bothered messing with the FCB & Axe Fx (FM3, etc.) in a couple years.

My suggestion? Just start your own presets at the beginning and save yourself the headache.

EDIT: I'd also suggest trying to use accepted MIDI terminology: CC, PC, note, value, etc. When I saw "CNT with 3/127," I had no idea what you were talking about lol, until I read the rest and then put it together retroactively in context. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help :)

As good as I got with the FCB1010, I never figured out how to make it correctly select any presets beyond the first bank. IT was definitely a bug with the Axe Fx, as selecting banks didn't work and I don't know if they ever fixed this. I got an FC6 as soon as they were available so I haven't bothered messing with the FCB & Axe Fx (FM3, etc.) in a couple years.

My suggestion? Just start your own presets at the beginning and save yourself the headache.

EDIT: I'd also suggest trying to use accepted MIDI terminology: CC, PC, note, value, etc. When I saw "CNT with 3/127," I had no idea what you were talking about lol, until I read the rest and then put it together retroactively in context. Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to help :)
Thx for the input - and also thanks a lot for the videos on YouTube you did on the FCB! They're very helpful!

I checked what the FCB is actually sending by monitoring the signals on my computer. I think the FCB works correctly by sending PC value 21 and CC#3 value 127; would the order in which it sends those matter? Because it will send the PC before the CC.
I did try to send the reverse order (CC first, then PC) via my computer and it yielded the same result on the FM3 by loading preset 21, ignoring the CC. It'd be strange if the FM3 had a bug rendering the use-case of CCs for preset changes useless since it neither works via my computer nor the FCB - so I still think there's a mistake in the setup somewhere...

I posted this back in Feb. Hope it helps.

Hello folks,
I'm a new convert to the FM3 (from helix floor) and, for my needs, it provides everything and then some.
I also had a FCB1010 that I've had for many years, but haven't used because I could never master the programming. I tried connecting it to the FM3 for external control and again struggled, in spite of generous and wise folk like 'Ugly Bunny's' advice and sys files (using a UnO eprom).
However, I then discovered the latest Eureka eprom which has pre-installed features specifically for Fractal products including the FM3. It provides 3 modes that give access to Scenes (all 8), Presets (all of them) and (10) Effects, plus two pedals for volume or expression manipulation. So, for only a few hundred dollars ($AU, much less in the US) for an FCB1010 + Eureka eprom + long midi cable, I have pretty extensive control. I'm sure that the more expensive controllers may have advantages, but for those of us on more limited budgets, it's a great option.
Hope this is of use to some.
Cheers, and thanks for all the great advice available in this forum.

Thx for the input - and also thanks a lot for the videos on YouTube you did on the FCB! They're very helpful!

I checked what the FCB is actually sending by monitoring the signals on my computer. I think the FCB works correctly by sending PC value 21 and CC#3 value 127; would the order in which it sends those matter? Because it will send the PC before the CC.
I did try to send the reverse order (CC first, then PC) via my computer and it yielded the same result on the FM3 by loading preset 21, ignoring the CC. It'd be strange if the FM3 had a bug rendering the use-case of CCs for preset changes useless since it neither works via my computer nor the FCB - so I still think there's a mistake in the setup somewhere...

Behold, it was indeed a user-error (as it is most of the times). I contacted CS to see if this is really a software issue and Mark came back to me incredibly quickly pointing me towards a working setup.

In order to change banks, the CC should be set up as Num = 0 and Val = 03, and the PC should be set to 21 (or whatever preset number in the specific bank you want). This switches the FM3 to the desired preset.

Now note that the FM3 now processes any PC that doesn't come with a CC as relative to the currently active bank. Since in the example above we switched to bank 3 (presets 384 - 511), if I only send a PC with val = 2 after switching banks, I'll get to preset #385.

All in all, this will make the FCB work just as I intended to.

Interesting. What did you have the bank CC set to before? Is this anywhere in the documentation? It's odd that with all other MIDI functions being assignable, this one function would not be, but oh well. Glad you got it working :)

Interesting. What did you have the bank CC set to before? Is this anywhere in the documentation? It's odd that with all other MIDI functions being assignable, this one function would not be, but oh well. Glad you got it working :)

I didn't really understand what to set for the CC - the FCB demanded two settings (Num + Val) whereas the FM3 manual only states I need to use CC "3" in order to switch to bank 3. So I set the CC as "03" and the second value "127", since I wasn't sure what the FCB wanted there :).

As CS pointed out, a CC is comprised of "Num + Val" which corresponds to what the FCB actually needed, and the correct set for "CC#003" is Num = 0, Val = 03.

CC#0 is for bank select. You need to send CC#0 with a value for the bank you want to select (0 = bank A, 1 = bank B, 2 = bank C, 3 = bank D) before you send the PC message to select a preset in that bank. The user manual has a chart for preset select in the back.

Back
Top Bottom