FM3 with a real amp?

eric_

I'm considering replacing my FX8 with an FM3. Obviously I'll be losing the relays (which I don't currently use) and the extra footswitches (unless I add a foot controller) but is there anything else to be aware of? I know Fractal stressed how the FX8 was designed for use with a real amp/4CM etc. and from experience it works perfectly. Does the FM3 work just as well in this regard? Is there any extra noise running with real amps?

Also what kind of CPU limitations are there when running just effects? I had read that one of the cores is dedicated to amp modelling and not using the amp modelling doesn't free up the CPU for effects?

Not using the amp and cab blocks give me around 6%-9% CPU available to do something else with. That is with Release 2.0

You can have noise issues - in my tests, I had to use humbuster cables or a Hum eliminator to break ground loops.

One of the cores handles the amp block and delay blocks. Removing the amp and cab bocks really doesn't free up much CPU.

Does the FM3 work "just as well" as the FC6? IMO, not quite. It's good, but not as quiet. I do notice a little background hiss. I definitely have to use a hum buster cable. No need to a hum eliminator in my case. But once the drummer kicks in you would never know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom