FM3 whammy automation and Ableton Live 11

scottnp

Hi folks

Recently got an FM3 and trying to get it set up. Brilliant unit and really enjoying using it.

Except for the whammy. And it isn't a latency issue!!

We change presets over midi from Ableton (we play to a click with backing tracks etc).

I've got the midi preset and scene switching working fine, but i want to automate whammy pedal movements.

I've managed to get it set up, but there is a horrible 'stepped' sound when the whammy pedal is 'moving' - like if you imagine the treadle on an actual whammy pedal moving. So instead of a smooth 'up and down' motion, its stepped and bleepy sounding and horrible. I've tried this over three different midi cables, over bluetooth, on different patches etc - and it still happens.

I haven't tried this with an actual expression pedal, and it's a bit annoying that this is happening because I've just picked up the FM3 to see how it stacks up VS my Quad Cortex - and the QC doesnt do this under the same conditions!

Any advice would be appreciated. Attached is the offending preset incase i've done something stupid...It might not even be the FM3 to be fair, but thought i'd try here first as I say because the QC managed it fine!

Thanks

Scott

Attachments

• test1.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 1
Thanks - that seems to help. I’ve got a lot to learn about these units!

It's worth the time to dig in.

The ability to set damping to 0 is of course a plus. If you see the latest Steve Vai tour, there's a section of HYDRA where a sequencer whammy plays a cool "melody" that has no glide at all. It's very glitchy with damping almost to 0.

If just doing dive bombs etc you can control pitch via a modifier too (I use a FC to initiate a 1 octave dive bomb with my hard-tail guitars).

Back
Top Bottom