FM3 vs FM9

roy

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I have a specific question about which I need some advice. I don't own either one yet, but that will change soon. My goal is to be able to switch from my electric guitar to acoustic guitar on stage, and I'm wondering if the multiple stereo outputs (and more footswitches) of the FM9 will be necessary or more beneficial? The main reason why I'm even considering the FM3 is its smaller footprint and weight . . . Thanks

(Another reason why I'm considering the FM3 is the fact that unlike the FM3, there seem to be no FM9 units available for sale...preowned of course)

Last edited:
the additional everything on the FM9 certainly would make your use case more expansive as far as options, but the FM3 will absolutely be able to cover your need as far as routing goes, if you make smart choices about block use to maximize effects you may need to share .

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm aware of the FC-6, and if I do end up with the FM3 - and assuming the inputs and outputs can handle the two guitars with independent outputs to the board - I will likely add the FC-6.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm aware of the FC-6, and if I do end up with the FM3 - and assuming the inputs and outputs can handle the two guitars with independent outputs to the board - I will likely add the FC-6.
Yes, there are 2 inputs and 2 sets of stereo outs.
As long as you don't get too complex with what blocks you use, you will be fine (in regards to CPU).

I ended up getting a FM3 (on its way!) because 1) FM9 is unavailable likely for a while 2) For the occasional live gig I plan to play it covers all the bases: piezo equipped guitar + electric signal. With live, as both an ex touring musician and ex sound guy, there are so many factors that eat up so much nuance (size of room, crowd, how big a band, style of music, etc) that as long as your basics are solid (playing, stage presence, amp tone, etc) you don’t need a lot of the extra EXTRA stuff to sound good and the FM3 seems more than capable of doing all that with the added benefit of a small form factor. Plus, like others have mentioned, the foot controller expansions are a great way to expand the rig!

If you plan on adding an FC-6 anyway, then you may as well get the FM9. If you're just concerned about needing a few extra switches, then consider FM3 plus two stand in switches. It'll save you some bucks and maintain a smaller footprint.

Back
Top Bottom