FM3 vs Axe-fx III, is there a video/audio clip showcase the Virtual Capo difference by any chance?

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
FM3 vs Axe-fx III, is there a video/audio clip showcase the Virtual Capo difference by any chance? Can't seem to find one, Thanks in advance.

I could make one, but they're near identical now; latency IS identical (assuming they don't "fix" whatever has mysteriously made it great in the 5.0b1 FW).

Unfortunately, it's not really something you can "showcase," as such; it's more or less a "feel" thing; just to recap my test, with the 4.1 FW, latency was all over the map; as low as 20ms to as high as 85ms; totally inconsistent and full of things like double hits (it would replay the same note bit of signal twice a few ms apart). But with 5.0b1, the latency was a consistent 20ms with ZERO obvious artifacts like double hits and, while it probably did vary by a few ms here and there, I didn't see any discrepancies.

What exactly are you looking for? If you're thinking of ditching your FM3 for the Axe Fx III just for the Virtual Capo, don't. The VC in 5.0b1 is fantastic and just as good; objectively measurable as well as, IMO, subjectively.

That said, NEITHER unit sounds great with clean signals pitch-shifted. But, FWIW, the VC on the FM3 is so good I find myself jamming and coming up with some cool riffs even when dropped 5 semitones.

I just gigged with it last night and our band never felt tighter, even on songs using the pitch shifter.

What would you like to see in such a video? I'm not sure I'm equipped to make such a video, but depending on your needs, I might be able to help you out. I recorded a video called "Let's Talk Latency" (search my username on YouTube), but this was more or less just the test results of various gears' latency, not necessarily a showcase.

If you were to make such a video, I would like to hear the sound of your strings being picked simultaneously with a clean tone at roughly the same level through the FM3 virtual capo, amp block and cab, so I could hear/measure the latency from the track. With 4.01, the latency is very obvious, to the point that for me, the capo is not really usable.

No biggie though, I'll upgrade to 5 as soon as it's released (or the next beta is released), so I'll hear it for myself soon enough!

If you were to make such a video, I would like to hear the sound of your strings being picked simultaneously with a clean tone at roughly the same level through the FM3 virtual capo, amp block and cab, so I could hear/measure the latency from the track. With 4.01, the latency is very obvious, to the point that for me, the capo is not really usable.

No biggie though, I'll upgrade to 5 as soon as it's released (or the next beta is released), so I'll hear it for myself soon enough!
With all due respect, 5.0b1 release notes mention NOTHING about an improvement to the VC; meaning, it could be accidental. I'd recommend downloading the 5.0b1 just in case they "fix" whatever made the current VC incredible vs the 4.01 VC. They haven't said literally ONE WORD about it being improved, even though it's objectively better than it used to be. This means they're either trying to figure out what they did to improve it (and will maintain those improvements in the 5.0 official release), OR they aren't sure what they did and any changes they make in 5.0 official release has a potential to ruin the VC.

Long story short: upgrade to 5.0b, - save this beta FW so you never accidentally delete it - and carry on :) We have NO idea what they'll do with the official 5.0- potentially killing whatever made 5.0b's VC usable.

I REALLY wish they'd speak up about it, but in any case, SAVE THIS beta FW!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you for everyone chiming in... being an FM3 only user, it would be nice to see the comparison to address some of the chatter on the forum regarding the Virtual Capo 'handicaps' on the FM3 when compared to other FA units.

Thank you for everyone chiming in... being an FM3 only user, it would be nice to see the comparison to address some of the chatter on the forum regarding the Virtual Capo 'handicaps' on the FM3 when compared to other FA units.
As an owner of both, let me assure you; the FM3's VC is just as good as the Axe Fx III's right now in FW 5.0b1. My "In Praise of..." thread explains how I made my measurements for latency, and again, I NEED the Virtual Capo for my paid gig so I'm VERY sensitive to its latency and usefulness.

The "chatter" you refer to about the differences is only relevant to FM3 firmware prior to 5.0b1. It sucked. I still used it, but it sucked. But now it's FANTASTIC. Latency-wise, it's identical to the Axe Fx III. With overdrive/distotion, it's identical. With sounding wonky with cleans, it's identical. The FM3 is no longer inferior to the FM9 or Axe Fx III (again, that could change if they "fix" things in the next beta or official release, but for now, it holds).

I just had practice on Tuesday, and was "forced" to use the virtual capo because I had forgotten that I had busted my low string at the last show I played. So I had to tune my fifth string down a step and then use the VC down 5 steps we play in Dropped-Bb), and I must say, it wasn't bad at all. Some of the shimmer/details were lost when I was comparing it on/off with riffage but it might just be due to the pitch dropping so much. If they improve it more than it already is it would be astounding!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom