FM3 vs Axe FX III - CPU comparison chart

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Thanks to the chart @chris posted yesterday, I was able to make this chart of the CPU usage per block, comparing FM3 on FW 1.02 and Axe FX III on FW 12.06.
Hope this little contribution can be useful to anyone looking to purchase an FM3 coming from the Axe.

PS: Chris, obviously feel free to put it on your site too if you'd like ;)

EDIT: file updated with Input block no gate reading

Attachments

• FM3-AxeFX CPU Chart.zip
    19 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, it's very informative. I have two questions - one, do the numbers indicate percentage of CPU utilized when using that particular effect? For example, if the stereo tri-chorus is used, does it use 5.5% of the FM3's CPU and 2.8% of the AXFX 3's CPU respectively?

And secondly, would you happen to know the percentage of CPU utilized for some amp models?

Thanks!

Thanks for posting this, it's very informative. I have two questions - one, do the numbers indicate percentage of CPU utilized when using that particular effect? For example, if the stereo tri-chorus is used, does it use 5.5% of the FM3's CPU and 2.8% of the AXFX 3's CPU respectively?
Yes

And secondly, would you happen to know the percentage of CPU utilized for some amp models?
Amp models all use the same amount of cpu cuz they run on a different core of the processor.

PS: that's also why delays and cabs on the fm3 use less cpu than on the axe

Last edited:
Thanks to the chart @chris posted yesterday, I was able to make this chart of the CPU usage per block, comparing FM3 on FW 1.02 and Axe FX III on FW 12.06.
Hope this little contribution can be useful to anyone looking to purchase an FM3 coming from the Axe.

PS: Chris, obviously feel free to put it on your site too if you'd like ;)

EDIT: file updated with Input block no gate reading
wasn't that fun to make ;)

lemme think on adding it to my site. i'll probably use the data for a new Axe3 CPU usage page, and then make a page with your comparisons for reference. i like the additional measurements like Gate off and more in the Cab block, but i'll probably strip those for the Axe3 chart so it's the same as my FM3 chart. you could go forever with all permutations, but my idea was more of a quick look.

you probably noticed that in the Reverb block, a bunch of types have the same CPU usage. with the numbers moving so dang fast, i just copy those numbers to the types that seem to be the exact same. i always go through the list, get to Reverb and take a 10 minute break before starting haha.

thanks for the work. i'll credit your forum name when i add those pages so they know who to blame if it's wrong ;) kidding!

ugh a few days ago i transferred my site from one host to another. it was loading SOOO SLOW. it always has when i moved it to inmotion hosting after my original was hacked to pieces. but since i was just starting to rebuild it, i didn't mind much. now that i'm actually sharing it again, i had to fix it. i tried a bunch of optimizations but even the backend was horrible so i knew it must just be the host. moved it to siteground and it was immediately faster even before the optimizations. man i don't remember wordpress ever being this complicated for speed before. i'm using all the same theme and basic plugins and it was fine on my original host... ugh internet.

well this was fast to do. Axe3 chart live now. adding the comparison in a bit.

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/axe-fx-iii/axe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates/

had to re-do some things on the site to make a new Cross-Device Topics page/category, so now this can exist:

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/cros...xe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates-compared/

Last edited:
wasn't that fun to make ;)
Yeah, real fun! But the quarantine boredom helped me a lot there :sweatsmile:

lemme think on adding it to my site. i'll probably use the data for a new Axe3 CPU usage page, and then make a page with your comparisons for reference. i like the additional measurements like Gate off and more in the Cab block, but i'll probably strip those for the Axe3 chart so it's the same as my FM3 chart. you could go forever with all permutations, but my idea was more of a quick look.
Yeah, keeping track of all the variables inside blocks would be a nightmare, I just added those I think are the most used.

you probably noticed that in the Reverb block, a bunch of types have the same CPU usage. with the numbers moving so dang fast, i just copy those numbers to the types that seem to be the exact same. i always go through the list, get to Reverb and take a 10 minute break before starting haha.
Yep, I did the same once I figured it out! :D
I just quickly checked later if there were significant deviations among those.

thanks for the work. i'll credit your forum name when i add those pages so they know who to blame if it's wrong ;) kidding!

ugh a few days ago i transferred my site from one host to another. it was loading SOOO SLOW. it always has when i moved it to inmotion hosting after my original was hacked to pieces. but since i was just starting to rebuild it, i didn't mind much. now that i'm actually sharing it again, i had to fix it. i tried a bunch of optimizations but even the backend was horrible so i knew it must just be the host. moved it to siteground and it was immediately faster even before the optimizations. man i don't remember wordpress ever being this complicated for speed before. i'm using all the same theme and basic plugins and it was fine on my original host... ugh internet.

well this was fast to do. Axe3 chart live now. adding the comparison in a bit.

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/axe-fx-iii/axe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates/

had to re-do some things on the site to make a new Cross-Device Topics page/category, so now this can exist:

https://www.axefxtutorials.com/cros...xe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates-compared/
Thanks for the credit, I did it just to give a little help to you and my small contribution to this community, from which I've learned a lot in this years. ;)

Thanks a lot! Now I know that a FM3 would already be on CPU limit with my prefered AXE FX III Turbo preset. Reverb is really an issue on FM3. The turbo version is a must or I just better wait for a FM4.
The thing about reverb is that the busier the sound environment, the less reverb quality is needed; When you're in a room with a full band playing the room's acoustics will add additional reverb.

I always use the economy setting on my FM* and FX3, and, many times when I first tested a preset I had to turn the reverb way down because, at stage volume, the reverb was way too heavy and I end up cutting it to 1/4…1/2 of what it was. That acoustic feedback loop of the guitar into the speaker and back really affects gain and reverb.

Yeah, but my use case for FM3 are vacation trips and the usage with a headphone.
That means I need e.g. reverb to get good results
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-a-touch-of-air-and-width.200840/post-2507625
and with that I would already get 53% with my FX III Turbo and more than 83% with a Std. FM3. No good basis. For FM3 turbo 10% less is also not good. All excel theory, but in reality my III turbo uses 45-50%. But I realize to use the list of tips for great headphone usage with FM3 could be an issue for the CPU.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom