FM3 vs. Axe Fx II as a racked device.

Lohengrin

Inspired
I have received my new FM3 yesterday. I have a quite specific use case: I want a processor to be racked in my band’s rack for live use, so it should replace an AF2 XL. I understand the FM3 was not initially designed for this, but was attracted towards the FM3 because of the added portability, given that I can take advantage of the unit in additional scenarios beyond band gigs. I was curious to see if the unit could stand up a head-to-head comparison against the previous-gen flagship under these highly specific conditions. Preset and scene switching is done automatically, so I do not really care a lot about the switching part of the device.

Even if it is not the same specific context, I've seen a couple of topics in the past dealing with the transition from Axe Fx II towards FM3, so I thought I could share my first impressions.

DISCLAIMER: the following analysis is only valid for the very specific use case of the FM3 as a racked device!!! The unit was not designed for this, and as such it is not a "fair fight". For most other uses the “pro” list will be much much longer.

First thing I noticed is the FM3 is bigger than I thought… It will need a 3U space in the rack. And then…

Pros:
  • Portability / additional uses: I can easily unrack the FM3 for an all-in-one solution for rehearsals, smaller gigs, jams, etc. This was what attracted me in the first place.
  • AF3 integration: It should sound “exactly” like the AF3, so in a scenario with an AF3 based studio, presets can easily be shared among both platforms.
  • FM3-Edit control of global parameters. In the AF2 it is not possible to control global parameters (e.g.: global EQ) via USB (on stage I use a laptop since the band’s rack is not always reachable).
  • AF3 modelling and UI: all the advantages of the new generation of fractals.
Cons:
  • 3U vs. 2U
  • Instability: in my first couple of hours I had to reset the unit maybe 10-12 times. It’s true I was porting big presets from an AF3 and there is a specific disclaimer saying that the unit can get instable and erratic behaviour when hitting high CPU values… yet I wish it would fail more gracefully when problems happen instead of lag/crash. In some occasions I could just navigate out of the preset if I give the unit enough time, but in others I couldn’t find a way out.
  • USB audio routing: I was using output 2 into a mixer for headphone monitoring… and I couldn’t find a way to hear both the processed signal AND the USB audio from the computer in that output. (Copying output 1 does not copy USB audio, routing USB audio to output2 seems not compatible to routing processed signal). I’m aware this is a non-HP exclusive con.
  • Lack of MIDI over USB: I need a separate MIDI interface to send MIDI commands from my DAW.
  • CPU limit: I found I need to take reverb out of some of my presets. They are not overly complex presets, nor kitchen sink presets, although it is true they have a fair share of processing and I was actually expecting this. I’m sure I can find a workaround, at least for some presets, but this kind of defeats Pro#2, even if partially.
  • Switching gap: I still need to test this. In the AF2 I’m using multiple instances of blocks (amps, delays) for seamless switching. In the FM3 I’ll have to use channels. I guess switching is fast enough but I need to test this in a full band environment.
  • I/O: In the AF2 I’m using both balanced and unbalanced connections of output1 together with output2 for multiple uses. With the FM3, I’ll need an splitter to duplicate output1.
I’ll have to carefully ponder this issue to decide, and I might end keeping both devices indeed. The FM3 seems like a truly outstanding piece of gear, a no-brainer for many other use cases.

A for effort, but I believe Fractal may have another product for a rack based solution...
9MHmcMel.jpg

I left the rusty Eurpower above for Crate mockery irony :D

Back
Top Bottom