FM3 via headphones and small/quiet ‘computer’ speakers

drnat

Inspired
Hi Guys,

I am still contemplating buying an FM3, but am trying to be certain that it is the correct purchase, despite G66’s generous 30 day return policy.

I will need to play very quietly & will be using headphones for the most part. I may get some iLoud micro monitors too…..but playing at very low volume will be important. Will the sonic qualities of the FM3 still be appreciable via these methods or not? I may be able to add proper studio monitors or an FRFR cab in the future, but not at present.

TIA & sorry that this overlaps with previous posts re headphones & travel speakers that I have read….but they haven’t fully answered my doubts or reassured me re this use case.

Thanks, Nick

FM3 sounds great with Headphones, but you have to dial in your presets new if you play loud with an FRFR Monitor. I tend to add more room/reverb when i play with headphones, because no natural room is surrounding you.
Never heard the IK iLouds.
If you play very silent, you will tend to add much bass and treble to your presets (fletcher-munson ear curve), which sounds not so good at high volumes!
For me, the FM3 is the best Guitar Gear i ever owned, and i had some!

Also playing via headphones or smal. 3.5" monitores partly and really silent.
and as stated above, I have separate presets adapted for it and main presets for FRFR or loud "trousers shaking" mode ;)

like Iaxu stated, go an invest on really good headphone that produce a sound that you like, I am using the BD 770 work great for my needs. Still I play a lot of time using a pair of afordable JBL 305, they work also well with low volumes..

Hi Guys,

I am still contemplating buying an FM3, but am trying to be certain that it is the correct purchase, despite G66’s generous 30 day return policy.

I will need to play very quietly & will be using headphones for the most part. I may get some iLoud micro monitors too…..but playing at very low volume will be important. Will the sonic qualities of the FM3 still be appreciable via these methods or not? I may be able to add proper studio monitors or an FRFR cab in the future, but not at present.

TIA & sorry that this overlaps with previous posts re headphones & travel speakers that I have read….but they haven’t fully answered my doubts or reassured me re this use case.

Thanks, Nick
The FM3 with headphones is like standing next to a cranked amp. I dont know the iloud speakers, but I hear they are very good for the size.

FWIW, I almost always/only play my FM3 through headphones or relatively quietly through studio monitors (Equator D5s). The only exception is at gigs where I have a single FRFR as my full-band stage monitor; so maybe 10-20 times per year? It's fantastic. I just use some Shure SRH440s. Not the best, but not terrible (well, they're not comfortable).

Thanks for the replies guys….really helpful

Will order the FM3 and can use my AKG K240’s to get an idea & if sounds good, will upgrade the headphones to likely sennheiser HD 600/650 or 660s. Can’t seem to get the HD6xx in the UK?

Can then think of other speakers if this is a good combo!

Really appreciate the support from this forum - a real bonus to the fractal universe!!

Do not know the AKG K240s I use the K271 MKII and I'm fine with them.
There are some projects online where you can find EQ correction values to adapt most common headphones with global EQ of the FM3.
Additionaly I use Sonarworks Reference with correction profile for my headphones on PC.
So there are many ways to get appropriate sounding headphones or speakers.

I live in a house where quiet is important. I use Sennheiser HD-650 and similar quality headphones with my various Fractal modelers and the entire line works great with headphones.

If you are going to use headphones exclusively for your monitoring then you need to investigate setting up an EQ curve to help flatten the sound of the headphones which will help if you eventually need to transfer to playing live. Search the forums and you will find where we’ve talked about setting those curves up.

The Fletcher-Munson Effect is important to be aware of, especially when playing quietly, because it can definitely affect the sound of your presets and any recordings.

All in all, the FM3 is a great device that is compact and very portable but still very powerful. At home just the unit itself is fine. If you decide to use it outside then I’d recommend adding the FC6 foot controller too, for added flexibility.

Last edited:
I recommend iloud micro monitors.. They re great not only for very low volume... Obviously if you play at night need headphones.. I own audio technica ath-m50x and they works very well if you need only playing rather than mixing

This is one of the big reasons I've been looking at it (that and all those tones!). I play mostly at home, where I need quiet and play mostly with headphones. I have a Tone Master Deluxe, which sounds amazing loud, but not as great at lower volumes, even with the attenuator engaged. And headphone jack is non-existent.

I've been debating selling it and grabbing an FM3 and an FRFR.

Back
Top Bottom