FM3 use at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis use question

Jim DeSchamp

Inspired
Got a question on how to use the FM3 in this senario.

Output 1 going to the FOH then output 2 going into the front of the amp. Each venue will have amps but there is no way to tell what amps will be there but in the past they have all been Fender amps. Deluxe, Bassman, Super Reverb and so on. So how can I use the FM3? The amp on stage will be my monitor and running through a wedge from the FOH is not an option. You have a short time to get setup and play between acts and just need to plugin and play.

Cheers,
Jim

That’s pretty lame that you’ll have no idea what your stage and FOH setup will be until you step on stage… I’d say make a couple identical presets for any possible scenario and label them for easy access.

Sounds like a nightmare scenario and I can only imagine the looks and "behind the back" smack talking the other "purists" will be spouting when they see you pull out the FM3. I'd hate to see/let some technical issue prevent you from doing your thing and being judged solely on your talents, but unless it's obvious after you've plugged in with the FM3 that your levels and tone is to your familiarity in a live setting - I'd have a back up plan aka traditional pedalboard setup for a clean amp platform with your core tones...

That’s one of those situations where I would use the FM3 like a small pedalboard in front of the amp, without any amp or cab block in the grid. See p. 34 in the FM3 manual.

Set the amp itself at the edge of breakup and loud, probably between 6-8 on the volume, with bass=2, mid=3, treble=6. See “Magic Six”.

A friend of mine who I play with regularly took second place last year and he told me about that policy. It is what it is, so experiment with some various Fender amps ahead of time and dial in your sound and FM3 so you can walk in and feel comfortable with your ability to get your sound.

That’s one of those situations where I would use the FM3 like a small pedalboard in front of the amp, without any amp or cab block in the grid. See p. 34 in the FM3 manual.

Set the amp itself at the edge of breakup and loud, probably between 6-8 on the volume, with bass=2, mid=3, treble=6. See “Magic Six”.

A friend of mine who I play with regularly took second place last year and he told me about that policy. It is what it is, so experiment with some various Fender amps ahead of time and dial in your sound and FM3 so you can walk in and feel comfortable with your ability to get your sound.
This is my third time and was hoping there was a way to get the full amp and cab sound to the FOH. The only Fender amp I do not have at home is the Super Reverb. The last two times I had an overdrive pedal and used my volume control which I do the same with my AxeIII and the FM3 anyway. I've got 10 days off to mess around with it.

Blues doesn't require a lot guitar amp-wise, so, one preset, split before amp/cab block, one out to front of amp sans the amp/cab, the other with amp/cab to FOH (FX in front of amp etc).

You'll likely want use either the mic'd amp or the FOH feed in FOH, not both due to possible phase issues.

If one of the stage amps has a FX Loop, you could use the FM3 into the FX Return without a cab on that feed, power amp sim on or off depending on what you want.

Or, bring a small pedalboard with a drive, delay for slap, and possibly a compressor etc, not much more needed for Blues.

I've done tours like this with rented backline for decades, and all of the above will get it done.

Most important thing, have fun!

I always have one layout somewhere in a preset to disable the amp and cab entirely and use the FM3 as a pedalboard. Alternately, you can always split the signal before you hit the cab and amp blocks, and send the modeled signal to output 1 (XLR) and always have a 'pedalboard only' without the amp / cab going to the 1/4" output 2. Easy to remember and nothing to have to turn on or off. Take a 1/4 and plug it into an amp, you have a pedalboard. Take the XLR and plug it wherever, and you have a complete rig.

Blues doesn't require a lot guitar amp-wise, so, one preset, split before amp/cab block, one out to front of amp sans the amp/cab, the other with amp/cab to FOH (FX in front of amp etc).

You'll likely want use either the mic'd amp or the FOH feed in FOH, not both due to possible phase issues.

If one of the stage amps has a FX Loop, you could use the FM3 into the FX Return without a cab on that feed, power amp sim on or off depending on what you want.

Or, bring a small pedalboard with a drive, delay for slap, and possibly a compressor etc, not much more needed for Blues.

I've done tours like this with rented backline for decades, and all of the above will get it done.

Most important thing, have fun!
I like the first idea. Gives me the option to use the FOH feed when it is available. I’ve already setup a small pedalboa that I used last time.

Thanks, this is the third time and third band, this one has the players with a 3pc horn section.

I'd just use the FM3 as a pedalboard with no amp or cab block at all. Run that to the Fender amp on stage and let the sound person mic that for their FOH, which is probably how they'll want to do it anyway because then they can just leave it set up once for the whole show and not have to dial in a new rig for every person.

Three clubs have B3s and a keyboard of some kind then some rooms just have one keyboard. You can also bring your own. You have 5 min to setup and 5 to tear down and get off the stage.
I guess if you didn’t have Keys in the band you could just plug into the keys rig, then.

-Aaron

I'd just use the FM3 as a pedalboard with no amp or cab block at all. Run that to the Fender amp on stage and let the sound person mic that for their FOH, which is probably how they'll want to do it anyway because then they can just leave it set up once for the whole show and not have to dial in a new rig for every person.
I tried that and didn’t like it. What I did like was using the amp with no power amp modeling. I’m going to just used a double boost Love Pedal I have. Less to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom