FM3 - USB plug fragile

vincent78470

Hello everyone,

The first time (I really mean first) I unplugged and plugged again the usb cable, thinking the deceptive assymetrical plug will prevent me from doing mistake, I did it as usual with all USB devices : blindfoldy, without looking it specifically, and clearly without straining at all.

Result : the usb cable has been not plugged the right angle => broken FM3 plug, I need to send it back for repair...

Beware of pluging/unplugging those little pins..... and don't trust the USB B plug......

EDIT : as already happened in the past, G66 / EU distributor is taking care of his customer... I have a FM3 for remplacement. Being a Fractal customer since the FX2 in 2013, this is a top company ! !

Last edited:
Is there a way to “extend” this fragile connector ??
A while ago I picked up a USB - B to USB A extension adapter for my kemper, so I could plug in a usb drive without turning the kemper around or digging in around the back. Perhaps the same thing would work here.

I'm probably just being paranoid, but this is what I did after seeing a few reports of broken USB ports. I found a cable with a low profile right angle USB B plug to hook to the FM3, zip tied it to my board to reduce the chances of it snagging on something and putting pressure on the FM3's port, and ran that to a USB - A to USB - B adapter on the side of my board.

IMG_6458.jpeg

IMG_6459.jpeg

I'm probably just being paranoid, but this is what I did after seeing a few reports of broken USB ports. I found a cable with a low profile right angle USB B plug to hook to the FM3, zip tied it to my board to reduce the chances of it snagging on something and putting pressure on the FM3's port, and ran that to a USB - A to USB - B adapter on the side of my board.

View attachment 70618

View attachment 70619
Where did you find the cable?

Thats the Temple USB side port correct ?
Do they only have the one style ?
I want to replicate this exactly on my Templeboard.
Cheers ?

My USB connector is broken too. Not completly yet, ist's still functional, but the inner part of the connector is loose. I will try to use an USB extension (that I will then never unplug again) to solve that issue for my device... But I think there really might be an issue with the USB connector, at least for some of the units (but it is still one of the most awseome pieces of gear I ever bought in my life!).

Where did you find the cable?
Same cable as that one from NewEgg, but I bought it from Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B00GURMTTC
Thats the Temple USB side port correct ?
Do they only have the one style ?
I want to replicate this exactly on my Templeboard.
Cheers ?
No, I bought a Switchcraft jack from Amazon and installed it in the Temple punched plate panel. I could be wrong, but I think the Temple module is just for supplying USB power, not for data pass-thru.
Amazon product ASIN B00DJ4Q6FW

Hi,
okay, Temple has 2 kinds I see now, USB PWR, and just USB.
assuming the second one is for data only.
cheers.

This issue happened to me a week ago. G66.EU have since replaced my device with a new one. This issue is NOT the FM3 but the silver cable G66.EU supply with the device in the box. These cables should not be used at all. Always use a trusted USB cable you already own or buy a quality USB lead. G66.EU supplied me a new cable which was a high quality gold contact USB 2.0 cable from Amazon and it's absolutely fine and plugged it in several times now with no issues. The silver cable is not cut correctly and is too fitting when plugged in. When I unplugged the cable for the first time, it removed the pin protector which got stuck in the cable. Unknown to me that this happened, I plugged it back in, bending all the pins in the process. Everytime I unplug now, even with a new quality cable, I do it carefully (paranoia for you!).

Mine is a bit loose also....was like that when I got it, but is a bit worse now. Definitely not normal. I've have owned several devices with USB B and never seen any of them loose. Guess I will live with it...

That is worrying.
I've seen quite a few posts about a fragile USB port. Looks like a low quality part was used?

Those who received replacements, do you feel the new USB ports are more rigid?

That is worrying.
I've seen quite a few posts about a fragile USB port. Looks like a low quality part was used?

Those who received replacements, do you feel the new USB ports are more rigid?

Yep, in my case the USB B port seems sturdy and all good on my replacement FM3 but tbh with the original unit I had, the USB B port was absolutely fine. The mistake I made was using the fancy silver USB lead supplied which was defective imo. I think those temple audio boards where you can add modular ports makes sense. Sticking two XLR outs, USB out, power out would save wear and tear on the unit but I think FM3's are built very well.

Yep, in my case the USB B port seems sturdy and all good on my replacement FM3 but tbh with the original unit I had, the USB B port was absolutely fine. The mistake I made was using the fancy silver USB lead supplied which was defective imo. I think those temple audio boards where you can add modular ports makes sense. Sticking two XLR outs, USB out, power out would save wear and tear on the unit but I think FM3's are built very well.

I see, interesting. Thank you for mentioning the cable topic.

Broken USB port here too. Broke the first time I unplugged it. FM3 went back for repairs.
Do you think it was because of the USB cable that was a tight fit or the USB socket on FM felt fragile from the start?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom