FM3 - USB plug fragile

I'm sure glad I read this thread. I've only plugged my USB cable in once and I noticed it's a bit loose. It's still functional but I now I'm afraid to ever remove it.

I posted my experience of this last year but G66 were brilliant to replace the unit, however it happened again but luckily I was able to fix it myself by butchering another usb interface to get the middle pin protector out and putting on my FM3. I ended up buying a Temple Audio Duo17 pedalboard and a USB type A to Type A panel mount interface and an angled USB lead and leave it permanently connected to the pedalboard. Extra expensive but its not gone wrong, sold and I can use a quality USB type A to A lead which is a lot more robust that a type B connector

I am hoping a firmware update will come out to utilise the Type A interface on the FM3 to be the USB audio interface (if that's even possible) maybe a Fractal Engineer can advise.

I really don’t see a need to extend the XLR’s......they are rock solid IMO , and durable.
They seem that way until some moron stomps on the XLR plug, which happened to me the first time I took my FM3 out. Luckily the plug pins bent instead of passing the pressure on to the chassis or board. I lost one FRFR for the evening but at least the FM3 survived.

My solution is to use right angle and flat plugs to replace them to reduce the chances of it happening again. I have some and now need to spend an afternoon replacing the ends that connect to the FM3.

Last edited:
I'm honestly a bit disappointed to see this, and particularly to not see any Fractal representation in this thread.

I received a reply from Sussi from g66. He said "I can assure you that the FM3 now has a high quality USB plug, I don't think it's possible to get a better plug, so I'm not sure what has happened to yours. We are really sorry about this."

My FM3 was b stock. Sussi had offered to get the unit repaired. But as I had only had the unit for less than twelve days I decided to go for a full refund. The only reasons that I went with the b stock was because the units were already in the UK . It was described as being in perfect condition and I was concerned that if I had waited for a new one the price may have increased due to the chip shortage.
This was my first Fractal unit and I'm quite sure that it will not be my last. But at the moment I'm just not convinced regarding the USB plug.

I looked at three other products I own that use a USB-B port and all of them are just a wiggly/loose as the FM3. Other products were two audio interfaces and a midi keyboard. I don't know if all the USB-B ports are from the same manufacturer, but it seems to me these ports are just made this way. Not a reflection on Fractal. Just my 2 cents.

From my own experience, every USB B port I’ve ever had on any device has been wobbly, from printers to midi keyboards to my Axe 8, FM3 and even Axe FX rack units. I’ve just given a few of my devices a prod to remind myself that‘s the case! I think it’s just the way these ports are. I’ve never had issue with connectivity (and if you’re having such issues, then obviously something is wrong), but I did once put an extender on my AX8 so I was no longer plugging in and out of the unit itself whenever I hooked it up to the computer.

The issue with USB ports in general is that they are soldered directly to the motherboard.
This mean they have no strain relief.
If mine goes when its out of warranty I’ll just open it up and resolder the connections.

All usb b type ports has the same issue, this is not fractal’s fault. My question would be, why not use usb c type and modernize the connection to the units.

New Fractal user here, just got my FM3 today. Was this issue ever acknowledged and fixed by Fractal?

I'm US based so no cable was provided.

Is there a specific manufacturer of these cables being recommended? How about using the right angle adapter and then a USB A to USB C? My Macbook only has USB C connectors anyways. Thanks!

Same cable as that one from NewEgg, but I bought it from Amazon.
Amazon product ASIN B00GURMTTC
No, I bought a Switchcraft jack from Amazon and installed it in the Temple punched plate panel. I could be wrong, but I think the Temple module is just for supplying USB power, not for data pass-thru.
Amazon product ASIN B00DJ4Q6FW

I know this is an older post, but could you specify how/where you fitted the witchcraft jack on your Templeboard? Looking to do this too and the proprietary plates that Temple sells sell crazy expensive...

Thx!
J

I just got my FM3 a couple weeks ago. I'm glad I saw this thread. I went to insert a USB cable and it was VERY difficult to push in, so I stopped and carefully backed it out. Tried a different USB cable and it went in more easily. I guess I'll treat it like it's easy to break and hope for the best. Seems a shame since it its described as rugged & road-worthy.

Back
Top Bottom