FM3 USB not working, any other way to connect to PC?

Hi, my FM3 is not recognized by PC anymore, very likely the USB module failed.
I was using PC connection for two purposes:
1) Using FM3 Edit to edit presets.
2) Using FM3 as a sound card between my PC and studio monitors.

Is it possible I can still use FM3 Edit via MIDI or something?

I'm guessing case 2 is not possible without USB.

Update: FM3 Edit works with a good quality USB-MIDI cable like Roland UM-ONE.

Last edited:

USB is required.

Why are you assuming the FM3 failed? Your post has been repeated 100's of times since I have been here. Maybe do a search of the forum. USB connection issues.

Yeah I should've mentioned that I did search the issues and tried everything, tested in multiple machines. Pretty sure it has failed.
It shows "Device Descriptor Requet Failed" error in Device Manager.

Also I live in Turkey and Fractal does not have a service here. Will ask another service to repair it but it's possible it can't be fixed.

Someone said Axe Edit can work over MIDI in the topic titled "Any way to connect to axe edit without USB cable?" in this forum.
(Can't put the link because it says it's spam.)

Does it apply to FM3 Edit as well?

Someone said Axe Edit can work over MIDI in the topic titled "Any way to connect to axe edit without USB cable?" in this forum.
(Can't put the link because it says it's spam.)

Does it apply to FM3 Edit as well?
Have you tried the fractal support email? They will have the answers and also they reply pretty fast.

I have the same problem! I solved it simply: I use a midi-usb cable!
Wow good to hear that, thx for the info which I couldn't even get from Fractal support.

So you just put the MIDI side to FM3, USB to PC, and FM3 edit just works? Anything to look for? I.e. Choosing the correct type of MIDI or something. I'm really ignorant about MIDI.

A MIDI to USB cable has one end that would be a MIDI connection and another that is USB. You would use the MIDI connection on the FM3 and then connect the USB side to your PC. They are pretty universal cord types.

When I connect with the USB-MIDI cable FM3 Edit showing as connected but gives "query_sys_info" error. Does anyone know what this is about?
Attached screenshot.
fm3_midi.PNG

Tried that, also tried on another PC and got the same error.
Maybe whatever the issue that's failing the USB connection also causes this error I don't know.

As a side note, the "Refresh After New Firmware" option under the settings menu works, so there is some connection apparently but something is missing there.

Btw, the MIDI side of the cable has IN and OUT connectors. FM3 also has In and Out inputs. Which cable should be plugged into which input?
(I already tried both ways but still would be good to know.)

Last edited:
You say you've tested multiple machines - have you tested multiple cables? Eliminated all USB hubs etc?

Also - are you on Windows? Are you sure you've got the USB drivers correctly installed?

Yes I've tested with two PCs and a macbook air, multiple USB cables, and USB ports. Reinstalled drivers too. I'm sure the issue is on FM3.

I have only one USB to MIDI cable though, didn't try another one. Not willing to anyway now after Fractal Support told me it won't work reliably over MIDI.

Honestly -that sounds like a question for support, defective socket should/would be covered. Get it fixed, rather than 'hacks' to work around it

Good news, I bought a better USB-MIDI cable (Roland UM-ONE) and FM3-Edit works now. It's slower than USB but works.

Weird that when I mentioned the error I got with the cheap cable Fractal Support told me FM3-Edit won't work reliably over MIDI, but it does work.
So any Fractal guys reading here, please do not drop support for AxeEdit / FM3Edit over MIDI, it's a necessary fallback for USB failure cases which I think is not rare.

Back
Top Bottom