FM3 USB Connectivity Issues... Still

smj

Inspired
Since about early August, my FM3 has been hit and miss connecting to FM Edit on Windows 10. Went through all the protocols:

1) changed usb cables several times
2) changed usb ports
3) Uninstalled all drivers and reinstalled
4) Changed computers

Sometimes, the fm3 would come on with a blank screen and hang. Then after cycling the power, it would connect.

I sent it back to Fractal and they said they found no issues with it... connected fine every time. They kept it on the desk for a couple of days. I asked them to check the physical usb jack just to make sure it looked ok.

I got it back today, and of course... no connectivity at all. Two different computers... two different cables. Nothing. Windows wouldn't recognize the device on both machines.

Until...

It did the blank white screen again. I cycled the power, and it connected on my wife's computer. Then I took it downstairs and plugged it back into my machine... nothing.

So then I started fidgeting with the (brand new 6 foot and 3 foot) usb cable in the fm3. I found that if I hold it still for 5 seconds when I plug it in... it seems to connect more often. If I just push the cable in and leave it, it often won't connect.

This does speak to there being a problem with the usb jack of some kind.... unless this is normal behavior? It was never this sensitive when I first got it.

It's functional for now.... but I've spent almost $180 in UPS fees shipping back and forth... and a $40 labor charge for absolutely nothing.... and it's still acting up. Not sure what I will do, but I need to get some work done with it at the moment.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Last edited:
I feel your pain. My FM3 USB is 100% non functional (used to be hit or miss, like yours). I took it to a local computer tech who did some diagnosis and thinks the USB connection is fine, so it's most likely the on board chip. I'll need to send it back, but not certain they can actually fix it. Considering how many other people have USB problems, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about buying Fractal in the future.

I feel your pain. My FM3 USB is 100% non functional (used to be hit or miss, like yours). I took it to a local computer tech who did some diagnosis and thinks the USB connection is fine, so it's most likely the on board chip. I'll need to send it back, but not certain they can actually fix it. Considering how many other people have USB problems, I can't say I'm enthusiastic about buying Fractal in the future.
Initially there was a local service tech who was going to handle this. Long story short, they quoted me $350 US for a part… I’m guessing a new USB board. After shipping, taxes, and exchange it worked out to almost $500 CDN… and then labour on top of that. So I’d be looking at about $600. The other thing being that they hadn’t looked at the unit before making a diagnosis. For all I know they might have been right.

When the price to fix a depreciating asset is approaching 40%… it’s a tough choice to make if it’s worth it.

I was quite reticent to agree to it because It felt like a huge gamble as I would be on the hook for the part with no guarantee that would fix the issue. In hindsight maybe I should have. I ended up sending it to fractal.

I get it that they can’t fix what they can’t see or replicate. At the moment my unit is working. When it got home from fractal it flat out didn’t. And I spent a couple hours trying to get it to connect to USB. Then suddenly it just started working.

Seems like it’s similar to a cold solder joint on a pedal switch or a patch cable. I have no idea how USB works or how it’s connected exactly. Mine sees a bit of play as I unplug the USB if I’m gigging and plug it in when I get home.

Let me know if you get your issue resolved. I sent a follow up email to fractal as to next steps. I’d rather not hand UPS another $200 so hopefully I can source a local computer tech to have a look at it.

Let me know if you have success getting yours fixed.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Well I’m delighted to report that Fractal is going to send me a return shipping label and replace the USB chip for $50 as my unit was just in for service. Kevin replied to my follow up email this morning.

I didn’t expect them to do that… major thanks to Kevin and Mark at FAS!

Sean Meredith-Jones

Initially there was a local service tech who was going to handle this. Long story short, they quoted me $350 US for a part… I’m guessing a new USB board. After shipping, taxes, and exchange it worked out to almost $500 CDN… and then labour on top of that. So I’d be looking at about $600. The other thing being that they hadn’t looked at the unit before making a diagnosis. For all I know they might have been right.

When the price to fix a depreciating asset is approaching 40%… it’s a tough choice to make if it’s worth it.

I was quite reticent to agree to it because It felt like a huge gamble as I would be on the hook for the part with no guarantee that would fix the issue. In hindsight maybe I should have. I ended up sending it to fractal.

I get it that they can’t fix what they can’t see or replicate. At the moment my unit is working. When it got home from fractal it flat out didn’t. And I spent a couple hours trying to get it to connect to USB. Then suddenly it just started working.

Seems like it’s similar to a cold solder joint on a pedal switch or a patch cable. I have no idea how USB works or how it’s connected exactly. Mine sees a bit of play as I unplug the USB if I’m gigging and plug it in when I get home.

Let me know if you get your issue resolved. I sent a follow up email to fractal as to next steps. I’d rather not hand UPS another $200 so hopefully I can source a local computer tech to have a look at it.

Let me know if you have success getting yours fixed.

Sean Meredith-Jones
I took my unit to a local computer tech/electronics repair guy. Paid the bench fee, he couldn't fix it. He said the connection itself is fine, most likely the usb chip. In honesty, i get how the connection wears out over time. I don't get how the usb chip/board can fail, unless there is some electrical issue that shorts it out, but then wouldn't other components be affected as well?
Anyway, like you, I just sent it back to Fractal for RMA. Paid a bundle in shipping because I included insurance/signature like they requested. At the end of the day, like you say, it may well approach 40% of the cost of a new unit.

So some developments.

After one rep from Fractal said they would send shipping labels, a caveat came the next day.

If they can’t reproduce the problem, then I’m on the hook again for the shipping. Ok, fair enough.

They do have an office here in Ontario which I can ship it to. Wish I had known that before I sent it the first time across the border to Plaistow, NH incurring exorbitant shipping and brokerage fees.

So this time, I have done more experiments to reproduce the issue… and video recorded the occurrences.

I have tried 4 different computers (one of them Mac with a USB hub/adaptor for USB C) and several USB cables. I have reproduced a hanging white screen on the FM3 with all of them.

At other times I have connected it successfully to all of them.

The issue happens only if I power up the FM3 with the USB cable plugged in.

It seems to be mostly ok when I boot up the FM3 with the USB cable unplugged and plug it in after it has booted up.

No other USB device I own requires this. That would include wireless keyboard, midi controller, capture card, DJ controller, etc.

If it was an analog 1/4” jack, I wouldn’t care about the extra wear and tear on unplugging and plugging in. A USB port is not necessarily something that can be fixed too easily if something goes awry due to extra play on the port.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Well what should have been fairly simple case became a very complicated case man. A lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what have you’s.

At the end of the day, Fractal made it right. Their customer service was stellar even though they didn’t have to. Super impressed!

Sean Meredith-Jones

Yeah, I shipped it back to Fractal, and they identified and fixed the problem in less than a day. They said it was the USB controller chip that is fried, so they had to replace that. It's on the way back, and hopefully that will be the end of my USB issues. I am surprised they turned it around that quickly, so that's a definite upside to this whole experience.

Back
Top Bottom