Bug? FM3 USB Audio Keep Disconnecting

kgreenman21

I've had my unit for a few months. I'm running the latest firmware and drivers. I typically practice/record at night with the FM3 and my laptop. This issue has happened with prior firmware and USB driver versions.

When I power on the unit and I can hear computer audio through the USB interface fine. After a random amount of time, the computer audio will disconnect. I have to reset the USB connection to restore the audio playback. This is frustrating when trying to record an audio track and the sound from the other instruments cuts out.

I know I'm not the first person to report this, but it would be nice if we can get a fix for this problem.

I've had my unit for a couple of days and I found this issue as well on FW 5.01 (I got it with this FW from factory) with Windows 10. Still no clue on what causes the playback to get cut off. It works great for a while and then fails. I'm really worried since I got this unit as an all-in-one solution to recording my guitar and I wouldn't like to depend on a Mac computer to be able to use it correctly :(

Last edited:
Update, I tested the unit on a different computer and it worked just fine so that leaves me thinking there is some kind of issue with the other laptop I'm using.

At the moment, I can not perform a complete OS reinstall to have a clean start but disabling USB power management options on Windows doesn't seem to have helped at all.

I'll try using a USB adapter I've got on a USB-C port and see if that fixes the problem.

I've had this issue as well with multiple computers, but it appears to me that the USB jack on the FM3 is not very tight and loses connection with several cables I've used with it. If I tie down that cable so it doesn't move, the issue stops. I dimly recall reading of others having this issue as well. And I've found some cables work better than others.

If you see new audio gear that has a USB type B jack like the FM3, some of them have the jack recessed in the device and use the case to hold the plug firmly in the jack. Native Instruments gear is like that, as is the Launchpad. If someone could make a thick (maybe 1/4" or so) plastic chunk sized to tightly fit the outside of a USB plug, put adhesive on one side, and place that on the FM3 case over the USB jack to hold the plug steady, that might help the situation. All you folks with 3D printers, have at it!!

Using first time headphone jack and I discovered also USB Audio connection loss.
My situation is:
  • DAW plays back through FM3 USB Audio
  • sometimes the connection gets lost and then reconnects without doing anything. Audio is played back for a couple of seconds through FM3 and then through laptop speaker and so forth.
  • I also recognized that switching scenes also can provoke USB Audio to disconnect and after a while to reconnect again
  • I am using the latest FW 5.03 Beta5

Is there a known problem with the new M1 Apple chip. Who I plugged my FM3 there is a message that says that I need to unplugged the energy consuming device to have USP working. I tried 2 adaptors and 3 wires with the same answers. Thanks for your help.

Also, in order to fix the same problem I mentioned in the post earlier, if I use an audio interface in witch my FM3 is plugged, will then my MacBook be able to communicate with the FM3 trough FM3 edit?

Back
Top Bottom