1. We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

FM3 USB A Port

Discussion in 'FM3 Discussion' started by effulgent, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Smittefar

Smittefar
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

More importantly, it can charge my Shure GLX16D belt pack

2. HurdyGuigui

HurdyGuigui
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

As some already posted here, what would be amazing would be to be able to record/playback audio directly on/from a plugged USB stick, like the Firefaxe UFX from RME.
    Basically on the RME UFX, you plug your USB stick, you have a screen where you set the channels you want to record (IN1, IN2, IN3, OUT1, OUT 3 for exemple). Then you press a REC button, you play whatever, then STOP when you are done, or just power off the UFX. And hop ! You have a wave file on your USB stick with all the channels you selected for recording (it can be up to a 16 channels wave file) No computer needed.

So for example, with this option, we would be able to record any live show multichannel (dry signal, wet signal, whereever you put an OUT block on the grid signal...) on a USB stick without a computer.
    Or let's say you are at rehearsal and you find a killer riff but you don't have your laptop plugged in. Hop ! You just press your FC/FM3 button assigned to USB-RECORD and bingo, you have it for later on your USB stick.

@FractalAudio have you thought about this? Do you think it would be possible to implement?

juanpmoran and DLC86 like this.
  3. jon

jon
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

+1 on that playback feature!!!

4. crdark

crdark
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

I like the idea of using the Mission Engineering 529 USB with the FM3 on a board. That would be awesome if that works.

5. Smittefar

Smittefar
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

We do not know how much power the FM3 will put out, but I think the USB standard is only a minimum of 500 mA at 5V. That will not power many 9V pedals. In fact it will not be able to power two of the 9V 160 mA outputs on the Mission device. Drive pedals often use very little current, so you could run a few drive pedals on that thing, but all digital pedals require more power.

crdark likes this.
  6. jon

jon
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I don't think that will work though.

That mission powers 12VDC pedals, the FM3 is 120VAC (well 100-240VAC to be exact).

At 30W at 120V on the FM3, that's way above what the mission will supply,

The connectors are also different, so I honestly don't see it working. Better to get a normal power strip.

7. jon

jon
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

I completely misunderstood, I thought he meant powering the FM3 with the mission! My bad!

Yeah that will likely not not work either, that mission will need at LEAST 1.1 Amps and the USB on the FM3 will likely be 500mA

Also, that's 9V and the USB is usually 5VDC

Same solution though, use a power strip

8. crdark

crdark
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Yes, exactly. I was thinking of some Fuzz pedals.

9. jon

jon
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Why not use one of those onespot daisy chain adapters? Most guys I know use them cuz they are small, easy to manage and connect and can power quite a few pedals.

Keep the load off the FM3 USB jack, cuz it likely was not intended for that. The onespot or similar power supplies are like 10 dollars. The FM3 is 1000, I know which one I rather load up with current....

10. DLC86

DLC86
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

From the manual:

"The 529 can be powered from a USB port on a desktop or laptop computer. The power output will depend on the specific computer. These are commonly limited to 500mA. Check the specifications for your computer. If the USB port is limited to 500mA, this will be the maximum the 529 will be able to provide to the pedals. This is normally enough for 3 or 4 analog pedals."

11. jon

jon
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

Thanks for that. Most pedals really only use a little current, but I'd still not use the FM3 port for that personally. Any short, any electrical noise, any problem with the pedals......I'd prefer to keep them on their own supply

yeky83, crdark and DLC86 like this.
  12. crdark

crdark
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Ok, good points.

13. ChristThePhone

ChristThePhone
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Most USB power adapters generate a very dirty supply voltage (being based on the cheapest possible switching regulators). That's the worst thing to use with drive pedals, especially if you aim at high gain values. I wouldn't expect that FAS intended the FM3 to provide an extra clean USB supply voltage so that users can use it to drive their external pedals.

yeky83 likes this.
  14. Handyman

Handyman
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Absolutely. In general you don't want to power anything by USB unless it was explicitly designed to be power by USB.

Now using the USB port to power a Morningstar MC6 MIDI pedal could make sense, should someone want a really compact foot controller and really loves programming MIDI devices.

bo13bo and mikah912 like this.
  15. Poparad

Poparad
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

*raises hand* Me!

16. Handyman

Handyman
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Ha! My MC-6 should be getting delivered tomorrow. I'm at the very end of the FC-6 wait list and needed something to control my III. After doing some research on the MC6 I might just stick with it given how small and programmable it is.

17. Poparad

Poparad
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I've been using one with my Axe2 for several years now and I love it. Very versatile and very compact. I put up a how-to video a while back for programming it with the Aex2.

Handyman likes this.
  18. Handyman

Handyman
    Expand Collapse
    Regular

Thank you, your video is what sold me on the MC-6! It looks remarkably flexible.

The cabling situation for live use looks like the only downside. Have you come up with anything easier than running a dual MIDI cable + a power supply/usb cable?

At home I can plug the MC-6 and the Axe Fx into my PC and just route the USB over MIDI from the MC-6 into the Axe FX as my practice space is right next to my computer.

19. Poparad

Poparad
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Not really, unfortunately, which is why I'm really hoping for something a little simpler with the FM3. I have a dual MIDI cable and a power supply. For a while I was using a USB cord into a standard USB charger adapter. Recently I added an actual pedal to my board (J. Rockett Allan Holdsworth) so I'm using a 1Spot for both of them now.