FM3 Tone Challenge #1: Adam Jones

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I believe Adam’s signal chain is basically MXR micro amp, volume, DD-3, Boss Flanger, EQ, wah, amp(s). He runs everything into the front. Nothing in the loops.

Adam Jones uses up to three amps at once, a VH4 and a Super Bass are omnipresent. The third amp is typically another VH4 or a Dual Rec. I think his basic tone in a single amp would be the VH4 though.

I’d love to see what you guys could come up with to approximate his setup on the FM3–preferably using the simplest tweaks/parameters as possible. It’s probably pretty simple? Anyone want to post a clip along with the preset?

I believe Adam’s signal chain is basically MXR micro amp, volume, DD-3, Boss Flanger, EQ, wah, amp(s). He runs everything into the front. Nothing in the loops.

For the current tour, all of Adam's effects are in a loop of a Boss PSM5 pedal and in the following order.....

MXR Micro Amp- Volume- Wah (535Q with the Variable Q rolled all the way forward)- Boss DD3- a second Boss DD3- Boss BF2 Flanger- Boss GE7 (used to boost the level and high end for solos). There was a Boss CE-2W Chorus and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay added for certain songs. Lastly, there was a Providence Chrono Delay and an MXR Flanger off stage used just for Pneuma.

Scotty A.

Last edited:
For the current tour, all of Adam's effects are in a loop of a Boss PSM5 pedal and in the following order.....

Volume- Wah (535Q with the Variable Q rolled all the way forward)- Boss DD3- a second Boss DD3- Boss BF2 Flanger- Boss GE7 (used to boost the level and high end for solos). There was a Boss CE-2W Chorus and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay added for certain songs. Lastly, there was a Providence Chrono Delay and an MXR Flanger off stage used just for Pneuma.

Scotty A.
Hey Scott! THE Scott? ;)
Great to see you here!

Volume- Wah (535Q with the Variable Q rolled all the way forward)- Boss DD3- a second Boss DD3- Boss BF2 Flanger- Boss GE7 (used to boost the level and high end for solos). There was a Boss CE-2W Chorus and an MXR Carbon Copy Delay added for certain songs. Lastly, there was a Providence Chrono Delay and an MXR Flanger off stage used just for Pneuma.

Scotty A.

Thank you so much. Excellent info.

Hey Deadpool, just got my FM3 this morning and threw together a quick AJ patch. Not 100% but I will update it as I get time.

I did neglect to include one pedal in Adam's "rig rundown" yesterday, there is an MXR Micro Amp before the volume pedal. My apologies. I have edited my original post to reflect that.

Scotty A.

Last edited:
Hey Deadpool, just got my FM3 this morning and threw together a quick AJ patch. Not 100% but I will update it as I get time.

I did neglect to include one pedal in Adam's "rig rundown" yesterday, there is an MXR Micro Amp before the volume pedal. My apologies. I have edited my original post to reflect that.

Scotty A.
Looking forward to hearing that👍 The stock FM3 patch isn’t that great. Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom