FM3 to FM9: Any Regrets?

Like I said, I'm actually OK with just having the Mosky for the extra switches, but that eats up a pedal input which leaves me with only one expression pedal. I'd REALLY like at least two.
What you can do is use a wah pedal in front of the FM3 and an expression pedal one of the inputs. You'll then have the other input free for an external 2-button switch.

So I am getting very close to finally pulling the trigger on ordering an FM9 (I already have an invite) and relegating my my FM3 to backup and home practice status.

Can you even get one? Having an old invitation is useless when there’s no inventory for the foreseeable future.

That's a totally different question, but something I'm concerned about also. I think I'll just put the order in and get it when I get it. Right now just trying to nudge myself to that decision...which I think I did.
I don't believe there's any stock left and I think you won't actually be able to place the order until there is.

As a data point from a different perspective, I have an Axe Fx III, FC-12 and an FM9. I've been able to comfortably transition to the FM9 and been trying to use it as much as possible. No regrets on that front!

What you can do is use a wah pedal in front of the FM3 and an expression pedal one of the inputs. You'll then have the other input free for an external 2-button switch.

I do that. I run a couple of different Wahs in front of the FM3. I found I liked
the feel and range of a dedicated Wah pedal versus an Exp pedal. The bonus
is it frees up a little CPU, too, if that is a concern.

I've definitely considered this since 80% of what I do with my one expression is a wah pedal. I have a Bad Horsie sitting around collection dust so could easily go that route. The set up I like (I've done this with my ElevenRack and actually with my Katana) is have two expression pedals with one as a dedicated volume pedal (between the amp and delay/reverb) and the other one assignable. Mostly it is wah, but I might use it as a Whammy, delay mix, chorus mix, rotary mix, etc.

Right now I have a passive volume pedal in front of the rig which kind of gets me there except it is at the start of the chain. I prefer to have it after the amp. I know I can do this with send/receive, but that just gets me into another IO issue since I tend to use both of the outputs on the FM3 already.

Another option I do have is the to use the FCB 1010 I have with the FM3. This is what I used with my ElevenRack and is fine, but of course the switches on that are not even 5% as cool as Fractal switches.

I've definitely considered this since 80% of what I do with my one expression is a wah pedal. I have a Bad Horsie sitting around collection dust so could easily go that route. The set up I like (I've done this with my ElevenRack and actually with my Katana) is have two expression pedals with one as a dedicated volume pedal (between the amp and delay/reverb) and the other one assignable. Mostly it is wah, but I might use it as a Whammy, delay mix, chorus mix, rotary mix, etc.

Right now I have a passive volume pedal in front of the rig which kind of gets me there except it is at the start of the chain. I prefer to have it after the amp. I know I can do this with send/receive, but that just gets me into another IO issue since I tend to use both of the outputs on the FM3 already.

Another option I do have is the to use the FCB 1010 I have with the FM3. This is what I used with my ElevenRack and is fine, but of course the switches on that are not even 5% as cool as Fractal switches.
Love the Bad Horsie - it's the wah I use with my amp. Works well in front of the FM3 too. :)

Went from FX3 to FM3 then I've switched to FM9 , the only regret is that they dont update firmware & presets as often as the FX3 & FM3...

Last edited:
No regrets. My FM3 was great, but I love the additional footswitches. I could see picking up another FM3 to have as a spare, or if I need something even more portable.

I haven't switched to fm9, so this isn't about regret per se. But I'm pretty sure I prefer the fm3 form factor by a meaningful margin for most tasks. The extra power of fm9 means little to me assuming the amp tones are similar -- but my chains are very simple by the standards of many here. I used ax8 quite a bit before and was glad to have the fm3 form factor.

If I needed more foot switches, at some point, and valued that more than portability of fm3, that would likely change things for me -- and fm9 would be it.

I have both the FM3 and the FM9, along with an FC6. And, I spend a lot of time working with both systems and thinking of their pluses and minuses, so maybe these thoughts will help.

I think it’s important to look at the use of the MC6 or the FC6 first. In the past I had the MC6, and while it’s good, it’s not as well integrated with the FM3 as is the FC6. That will probably never change; it’s not because Fractal is deliberately trying to keep that from happening, it’s just how the two different systems are built and the philosophy of how Fractal views MIDI vs. their own controllers, and it affects our view of the FM* units.

Fractal seems to view the modelers as the host, i.e., the mainframe, and the FC units as terminals; we basically type commands on the controller which tells the FM* to do something, it does it and sends a response back which updates the displays and LEDs on the controller. The MC6, being MIDI, only knows how to send commands and ask for status, it acts more like it’s always in control, and that difference affects the integration of the two systems, and it affects our view of how the systems are supposed to work together. It took me a little while to figure that difference out when I first switched to Fractal’s gear. That doesn’t mean that using MIDI is bad, it just means it’s not the native interface and will involve more work to integrate it, which Morningstar has, and will probably continue to pick up and do. But it still affects the way the two systems work.
My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are:
  1. More switches without external gear. I currently have a Mosky since I can't quite get what I need out of three switches. This is generally OK for me but since the Mosky eats up a pedal input, it robs me of an expression pedal. I've looked into getting something like a Morning Star interface, but if I'm going to do that I feel like I may as well just get the bigger unit.
I bought the FM3+FC6 for travel because it’s modular. I can easily use it as just the FM or add the FC for more switches and easier switching. I’m the one who worked with Studio Slips to design their FM3+FC6 bag so I can easily travel with both. The FM9 weighs the same, approximately, as the FM3+FC6, but won’t fit in as small a space. So, if you compare those two systems, the FM3+FC6 or the FM9, you have an equal number of switches plus the FM3 has more flexibility as far as form factor.
  1. More CPU. My primary preset (and it's variations) are pushing that 80% limit and I sometimes would like a little more. I generally keep my verbs on economy which is OK, but it would be nice to be able to leverage the higher quality verbs.
Yes, the added CPU/DSP of the FM9 is nice, but in my experience it doesn’t improve the sound quality that much, especially for live use. In the middle of a song I can’t tell that there’s improved reverb or there are two amps, because the rest of the band is filling the air with what they’re doing. The difference between economy and the highest quality reverb is really hard to hear in a band context; when recording solo guitar it’s much easier, but at that point we generally have reverb in a DAW or we can reamp and add the highest quality reverb. I keep my reverb at economy on both as a result.

I once put together a dual amp preset that sounded like something I would play with regularly, but it was so huge-sounding it would only have worked in a power-trio. The improvements to the modeling on the FM3 make it sound great in a band context so, again, dual amps don’t really improve my life.

The smaller CPU in the FM3 means I make smaller presets but I have only felt stifled once because of CPU constraint. My attitude is that it’s easy to switch presets so I can have a similar preset with the “missing” block next to the other one and in less than a second switch between them.
  1. More expression pedals. This is related to #1 above where I only have one free pedal input with the Mosky in use. I would really like at least two expression pedals going at all times.
Well, the FM3+FC6 will beat the FM9 for inputs. I use two EV-2 or Dunlop (X) Mini, because they are small and easily packed in a bag.

In general I can do with the FM3+FC6 combination what I can with the FM9, so why do I have both? It’s the form factor on stage. My FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24 pedal board and is wired into their modules so the guitar and pedals connect on the right side, and the power and XLR output is on the left, and the plugs into the back of the FM9 are all low-profile to lessen the chance of damage. It’s ease of set-up and, hopefully, even more robust. Prior to getting the FM9 I had the FM3+FC6 combination mounted there but that limited the sizing flexibility. 🤷‍♂️ And with the FM9 set up that way the FM3 combination is available if I want to travel light or use it on a tight stage; it’s nice to have that option.

You said you have an invitation for an FM9, but I don’t think they have any to sell right now, and they haven’t announced any improvements in availability. I suggest that you consider getting the FC6 and see how you like it. It’ll partially solve the problems you see and when they begin shipping FM9 units you can sell the FM3+FC6, or keep it and connect it to the FM9. I’ve played with that combination and it’s easy to set up a very nice layout with 15 switches.

Those are my thoughts.

Last edited:
I came from a AX3, so the FM9 took a little reimagining of things, patch wise, to fit it all in. Much easier than the FM3, which I have and use at home and possibly for a rehearsal or backup live. Again, I have to alter my approach from the FM9 to the FM3 to fit all in....but I can. Not same same, but killer all the same. ONLY regret(more like annoyance) is the FM9 is the red head of the bunch with updates. I know what it is due to as there are not as many users(make us all beta tester for you????). The FM9 is more and Yngwie says yes, please......

I have both the FM3 and the FM9, along with a FC6. And, I spend a lot of time working with both systems and thinking of their pluses and minuses, so maybe these thoughts will help.
I think it’s important to look at the use of the MC6 or the FC6 first. In the past I had the MC6, and while it’s good, it’s not as well integrated with the FM3 as is the FC6. That will probably never change; it’s not because Fractal is deliberately trying to keep that from happening, it’s just how the two different systems are built and the philosophy of how Fractal views MIDI vs. their own controllers, and it affects our view of the FM* units.

Fractal seems to view the modelers as the host, i.e., the mainframe, and the FC units as terminals; we basically type commands on the controller which tells the FM* to do something, it does it and sends a response back which updates the displays and LEDs on the controller. The MC6, being MIDI, only knows how to send commands and ask for status, it acts more like it’s always in control, and that difference affects the integration of the two systems, and it affects our view of how the systems are supposed to work together. It took me a little while to figure that difference out when I first switched to Fractal’s gear. That doesn’t mean that using MIDI is bad, it just means it’s not the native interface and will involve more work to integrate it, which Morningstar has, and will probably continue to pick up and do. But it still affects the way the two systems work.

I bought the FM3+FC6 for travel because it’s modular. I can easily use it as just the FM or add the FC for more switches and easier switching. I’m the one who worked with Studio Slips to design their FM3+FC6 bag so I can easily travel with both. The FM9 weighs the same, approximately, as the FM3+FC6, but won’t fit in as small a space. So, if you compare those two systems, the FM3+FC6 or the FM9, you have an equal number of switches plus the FM3 has more flexibility as far as form factor.

Yes, the added CPU/DSP of the FM9 is nice, but in my experience it doesn’t improve the sound quality that much, especially for live use. In the middle of a song I can’t tell that there’s improved reverb or there are two amps, because the rest of the band is filling the air with what they’re doing. The difference between economy and the highest quality reverb is really hard to hear in a band context; when recording solo guitar it’s much easier, but at that point we generally have reverb in a DAW or we can reamp and add the highest quality reverb. I keep my reverb at economy on both as a result.

I once put together a dual amp preset that sounded like something I would play with regularly, but it was so huge-sounding it would only have worked in a power-trio. The improvements to the modeling on the FM3 make it sound great in a band context so, again, dual amps don’t really improve my life.

The smaller CPU in the FM3 means I make smaller presets but I have only felt stifled once because of CPU constraint. My attitude is that it’s easy to switch presets so I can have a similar preset with the “missing” block next to the other one and in less than a second switch between them.

Well, the FM3+FC6 will beat the FM9 for inputs. I use two EV-2 or Dunlop (X) Mini, because they are small and easily packed in a bag.

In general I can do with the FM3+FC6 combination what I can with the FM9, so why do I have both? It’s the form factor on stage. My FM9 is mounted on a Temple Audio Duo 24 pedal board and is wired into their modules so the guitar and pedals connect on the right side, and the power and XLR output is on the left, and the plugs into the back of the FM9 are all low-profile to lessen the chance of damage. It’s ease of set-up and, hopefully, even more robust. Prior to getting the FM9 I had the FM3+FC6 combination mounted there but that limited the sizing flexibility. 🤷‍♂️ And with the FM9 set up that way the FM3 combination is available if I want to travel light or use it on a tight stage; it’s nice to have that option.

You said you have an invitation for an FM9, but I don’t think they have any to sell right now, and they haven’t announced any improvements in availability. I suggest that you consider getting the FC6 and see how you like it. It’ll partially solve the problems you see and when they begin shipping FM9 units you can sell the FM3+FC6, or keep it and connect it to the FM9. I’ve played with that combination and it’s easy to set up a very nice layout with 15 switches.

Those are my thoughts.
This is good advice. Love the one you are with and expand. Cooking with less ingredients, is always better anyways!

Had an FM3, the limitations really kept me from using it much. I thought that it would be the lack of foot switches that might frustrate me, but the foot switch implementation was pretty ingenious and useable, considering it had only 3 switches. It was constantly running into the CPU wall that ultimately made me ditch the unit. The FM9, while not as powerful as the Axe 3, for me, has enough CPU power to build functional presets.

I had an FM3 and FC-6. When my name came up for the FM9, I sold them both.

I really miss the small size of the FM3. It fit perfectly on the corner of my desk at home and I didn't have to bend over to adjust things. It was right there ready to go when I had a few spare minutes to play during the day and I could use it with or without the FC-6 depending on the situation.

For me, the perfect setup would be an FM3 that has the power of the FM9 Turbo and larger displays paired with an FC-6 MK ll Foot Controller!

I had an FM3 and FC-6. When my name came up for the FM9, I sold them both.

I really miss the small size of the FM3. It fit perfectly on the corner of my desk and I didn't have to bend over to adjust things. It was right there ready to go when I had a few spare minutes to play during the day and I could use it with or without the FC-6 depending on the situation.

For me, the perfect setup would be an FM3 that has the power of the FM9 Turbo and larger displays paired with an FC-6 MK ll Foot Controller!
More horsepower under the hood would have kept me onboard w/FM3-FC6 but that is not possible so FM9 it is. Just supper lucky I was able to get one before they ran out. Now just waiting all over again for a Turbo!

Back
Top Bottom