FM3 to FM9: Any Regrets?

TheloniusJ

Experienced
So I am getting very close to finally pulling the trigger on ordering an FM9 (I already have an invite) and relegating my my FM3 to backup and home practice status. I'm just wondering if anyone has made this jump and is now regretting it...or are stoked and haven't looked back.

My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are:
  1. More switches without external gear. I currently have a Mosky since I can't quite get what I need out of three switches. This is generally OK for me but since the Mosky eats up a pedal input, it robs me of an expression pedal. I've looked into getting something like a Morning Star interface, but if I'm going to do that I feel like I may as well just get the bigger unit.
  2. More CPU. My primary preset (and it's variations) are pushing that 80% limit and I sometimes would like a little more. I generally keep my verbs on economy which is OK, but it would be nice to be able to leverage the higher quality verbs.
  3. More expression pedals. This is related to #1 above where I only have one free pedal input with the Mosky in use. I would really like at least two expression pedals going at all times.

Anyway, I'd love to hear perspectives from anyone who has made the FM3 to FM9 switch.

Loved the FM3, but absolutely no regrets.

Current band mainly covers U2 and given the range of different effects in a single song I had to make compromises on some patches mainly due to footswitch limitiations but every once in a while do to lack of CPU. No compromises with the FM9. Easily layout as many scenes as needed and no issues loading a patch up with all the necessary effects.

Basically when I had the FM3 I would take it to practice but take the full Axe III to gigs. Now I take the FM9 and the AxeIII stays put.

ZERO regrets and would make the switch again! Other than the size, FM9 beats the FM3 all day long. I was using an FM3 & FC6 so I actually saved a tiny bit of width. If Fractal had unlimited supply I can’t even imagine how many FM9 they could sell.

So I am getting very close to finally pulling the trigger on ordering an FM9 (I already have an invite) and relegating my my FM3 to backup and home practice status. I'm just wondering if anyone has made this jump and is now regretting it...or are stoked and haven't looked back.

My main reasons for wanting to upgrade are:
  1. More switches without external gear. I currently have a Mosky since I can't quite get what I need out of three switches. This is generally OK for me but since the Mosky eats up a pedal input, it robs me of an expression pedal. I've looked into getting something like a Morning Star interface, but if I'm going to do that I feel like I may as well just get the bigger unit.
  2. More CPU. My primary preset (and it's variations) are pushing that 80% limit and I sometimes would like a little more. I generally keep my verbs on economy which is OK, but it would be nice to be able to leverage the higher quality verbs.
  3. More expression pedals. This is related to #1 above where I only have one free pedal input with the Mosky in use. I would really like at least two expression pedals going at all times.

Anyway, I'd love to hear perspectives from anyone who has made the FM3 to FM9 switch.
Absolutely no regrets. I bought my FM9 and sold my FM3 primarily for reasons 1 and 2 in your post. Now that I have it, I love having the extra footswitches and CPU headroom. I'm also enjoying the bias tremolo in the amp block, the diffuse delay models in the delay block, and second reverb block (a parallel signal path with a 100% wet tape delay into a 20% wet spring reverb, then merged back into a hall reverb sounds glorious). I used to be at 80% in almost every FM3 preset, and now my presets tend to be in the 65–70% range even though I added more blocks to each one.

No regrets at all. Very happy. There was a similar thread a while back you might check out. I talked about my experience there too but there is plenty of other discussion there too:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm3-to-fm9.182566/#post-2242344

The gist:

Ultimately I switched to the Fractal FM9 for seamless amp switching capabilities, 6 more buttons, and the prospect of onboard reverb/more power, which I am still exploring.
My Fractal FM9 experience and surprises:
  • The reverbs are on their own processing core so you can have both reverbs on ultra and the only affect on processing power is the connection lines, so ~1% each. literally. I have made presets to 80% power and then added two reverbs on ultra and got to 82%; it's amazing!
  • The amp switching is seamless now with two blocks.
  • The new virtual capo (in 2.0 beta) is so good I cannot tell I am on a preset that has it active. But even if this comes to Fractal FM3 the two points above are still enough for me to be very happy with my switch.

I had a FM3 when it was released and loved it, especially after the Cygnus update was released my fav amp the Brit800 was significantly upgraded at that point, though when the FM3 was announced I was a bit sad as I really wanted a full FX paddleboard not a split with a FC6 and less cpu, once the FM9 was released I was all in and was one of the very last to receive one of the first ship batches. I can honestly say this unit is nothing short of incredible and all in one floor unit (my preference) as i do not own any FX racks, if your considering upgrading my guess is you will not be disappointed.
Cheers,

+1 for all the reasons already stated

The only thing I really wish was a bit different is the size of the footswitch LCDs. I have to bend over a bit to read them. But the FM3 is the same, so... JUST DO IT. ;)

...or are stoked and haven't looked back.
This. My FM3 was great, but I probably wasn't going to gig it without some additional footswitches, and the opportunity to get more footswitches, I/Os, and processing power at the same time made it an easy decision.

The FM3 would have made more sense for me if there were times when I needed something only as big as it is.

Back
Top Bottom