FM3 thru USB frustrations

Interesting. Good to hear a testimonial from a mac owner. You are running usb? Thanks!

Yes, I use USB to record. Can't comment on latency as I monitor via hardware going into the Scarlett. The only time I've experienced some artifacts or distorted audio was when setting the Agreggate device. On the AFX III I use S/PDIF for monitoring only so the Scarlett acts as the Master device sending clock back to the AFX. On the other side, when I was setting the FM3, I didn't used S/PDIF but went XLR out instead for monitoring. Couldn't figure where the artifacts came from, I set my buffer as high as possible in Logic, checked for the session samplerate to be set at 48 kHz. Everything was "as the manual says" and yet my audio still came heavily distorted, glitchy...

Then, I found that, even when you're not using S/PDIF, somehow the FM3 wasn't syncing properly and into MIDI/Audio settings for the Agreggate device I saw a checkbox named "Drift correction" (IIRC) that was enabled for the Scarlett so I switched that to the FM3 and that was it.

I dunno, somehow the FM3 always seems to want to be set as the Master device whenever you use digital audio...

I have issues with usb audio when listening to YouTube backings and lessons. If you move around the video timeline the 1st second of audio played is a loud unlocked noise, it then locks in and plays fine. Also, when adverts are played it’s makes the same unlocked audio glitch. The usb audio has improve, previous 2.0 firmware would require a FM3 re-boot to return the usb audio when it dropped out.

it’s not my usb cable, Mac laptops or OS versions.

Loving the V3.01 firmware, constant improvement.

See if there's any dust or dirt in the ports I believe. Maybe a can of compressed air? However not sure if that's the right hole to be going down.

You've verified that there are no artifacts going over XLR into an interface, correct?
Well I keep pointing to the fact that the Axe FX 2 XL+ has no issue on my system, and the only change is that I unplug the USB cable from the FM3 to the axe FX 2. So that indicates to me that its not the apogee interface.

My other test is to go analog out into the apogee, which works 100%. But that's not the way I want to use the FM3 in my setup. I'll post audio examples in a bit.

Here's two examples of artifacts, playing through FM3 3.01, USB to Logic. Patch is stock EL Clean, no clipping during any of this recording.

Here's another example: Same Logic project, same apogee unit, USB input coming from AXE FX 2 XL+, EJ Clean Patch. Only change was unplug USB cable from FM3 and plugged it in to AXE FX 2.

Here's another example: Same Logic project, same apogee unit, USB input coming from AXE FX 2 XL+, EJ Clean Patch. Only change was unplug USB cable from FM3 and plugged it in to AXE FX 2.

I hear glitches around :50 with the AxeFX II example, so I'm not sure how this demonstrates the problem is only with the FM3. In any case, your problem doesn't sound like dropouts to me, so I wouldn't expect changing the buffer size to make any difference. Based on that, I would guess Logic's cpu meter is not showing overloads, is that right?

It sounds like it might be clock drift. A simple way to test for that is to use the FM3 for both input and output (and don't use an aggregate device for the test). In other words, get the Apogee out of the equation.

I hear it at .08 and .39 , what's your input pad on in I/O I had that same problem and had to set input to 18 db, Great playing though

I hear glitches around :50 with the AxeFX II example, so I'm not sure how this demonstrates the problem is only with the FM3. In any case, your problem doesn't sound like dropouts to me, so I wouldn't expect changing the buffer size to make any difference. Based on that, I would guess Logic's cpu meter is not showing overloads, is that right?

It sounds like it might be clock drift. A simple way to test for that is to use the FM3 for both input and output (and don't use an aggregate device for the test). In other words, get the Apogee out of the equation.
I hear it at .08 and .39 , what's your input pad on in I/O I had that same problem and had to set input to 18 db, Great playing though
thanks, I’ll give 18db a try.

I've tried a few cables, but as I said, the current cable I'm using is the same high quality cable that works flawlessly on the FX 2, so I don't think thats the problem. (meaning the same exact cable)

Still, try another cable. Please do.

Try & use your FM3 thru a family member/friend's Mac into Logic(if they have it loaded) or GarageBand.

Do you get the same artifacts recording in GarageBand on your Mac using the FM3?

I must admit, as another double check, and frankly to have a morning of actually enjoying play guitar without worrying about glitchy noise, I fed the headphone out of the FM3 into the analog inputs of the apogee element, and played for 2+ hours. Sounds great, no noise, and more control over levels etc on Logic. Can someone remind me why we think USB digital is good? I hear all the re-amping reasons, etc, but is there anyone who thinks the "pure" digital signal gives you a better quality sound?

Of course the reason I bought the FM3 is to travel and record to laptop in hotel rooms, which is a great environment for the USB interface.

I guess I'm also still curious, as responses have been few: How many of you use USB for inputting sound? And how many of you are doing that on a Mac? And those that are using USB, what's your success rate of avoiding digital noise?

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions,
Luther

Most people recording with an AxeFX or FM3 are using USB, often with a Mac. It's simpler and provides better fidelity. As I mentioned above, your problem is probably clock drift.

P.S. Also, your "clean" example has audio glitches.

Ok - went 100% FM3, input and output, output 1 to speakers. Initially still had artifacts, but THEN disengaged input monitoring in Logic, and no artifacts!

Interesting - tried some other settings in logic having to do with "Audio sync mode" in "Project settings". default is MTC Continuous. I tried "external or free". There is another option that is "MTC trigger + autospeed detection" - I wonder if that's what I should be trying.

Anyway, seems like problem solved! Well not really for my purposes (but am glad to see some clarity on the artifacts). I use input monitoring, for I like to use plug-in effects on my guitar sound. When I run thru FM3, I lose the ability to control input monitoring, as well as set levels within Logic to balance the guitar tracks "pre-recording". I've always tried to avoid setting those levels on the fractal side. I suppose I can change my ways on the leveling of tracks, but how do I keep my plug in use? Sure I can add plug-ins after the fact but then I've no nuancing the guitar sound I want when recording. I'll do some web searching, but this issue is why I bough the Apogee Element - so I can monitor outside of the fractal world.

Back
Top Bottom