• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

FM3 through real amp and cab

Deadpool_25

Experienced
So I’m only planning on using the FM3 with my real amp(s). Depending on the amp I would probably use 4CM but may just go straight into the FX loop. I’d think that could simplify tweaking a lot—no power section or cab block tweaks.

Anyone used their FM3 as a preamp and effects into a real amp and cab yet and care to share thoughts?

bdrepko

Power User
I don't have the FM3 yet, but I do have the AXE3 (which should sound identical). I have run into the effects loop of an EVH5150 III and then into an Egnater 412 cab with Celestion G12K-100 speakers. I don't run this setup very often, but it sounds glorious.

Maybe this reply should be it's own thread because I don't want to derail the OP's original intent, but I think my experience relates - it's just not a real FM3>"4CM" response...

I have used Mark Day's Recto preset into both the CLR/QSC via OUT1 while simultaneously running OUT2 into a MESA 2:90 with amp and cab modeling STILL ON (into a 4x12 with Creambacks and a 2x12 with V30s)... The results were interesting as I was running ONLY the CLR/QSC path FIRST to get acquainted with the FM3, and I thought that that option with the Mark Day Recto preset was pretty ballsy and hot UNTIL I quickly added an OUT2 (for fun) on the FM3's grid and turned on the 2:90 and then the whole house started to THUNDER and VIBRATE with an insane amount of massive "amp-in-the-room" sonic glory, but with no unwanted boominess. It was the "biggest" thing I've ever heard in my life (and I've gigged w/ a Splawn Nitro and a Marshall 410 running in stereo before) and I couldn't believe I was making all that "wall-of-sound" glorious 80's high gain kind of thing. It kinda made the CLR/QSC sound a little weak, where it had just sounded awesome a minute earlier... All volumes were equalized and everything was on the floor and the CLR&QSC were set to wedge/floor monitor mode. I tried to capture the audio differences, but it's an "in-the-room" difference and feel that can't really be picked up and translated over the internet. I assume this is where people recommend the XiTone over the CLR to bridge THIS gap of massiveness in the "feel" (pushing air/shaking your pant legs kinda thing) that the MESA 2:90 has FOR DAYS. One caveat: the CLR/QSC did have more articulation/definition that really made some of those nice FM3 frequencies and nuances pop through, but again, I didn't try to fix the OUT2 MESA 2:90 side, in fact, I left the amp and cab modelling ON because it sounded so awesome from go... Maybe I need a XiTone to get the best of both of those worlds??? (because I'm definitely NOT lugging a 2:90 and a 2x12 and a 4x12 around with me).

Deadpool_25

Experienced
I don't have the FM3 yet, but I do have the AXE3 (which should sound identical). I have run into the effects loop of an EVH5150 III and then into an Egnater 412 cab with Celestion G12K-100 speakers. I don't run this setup very often, but it sounds glorious.
Sounds awesome. Which 5150 III variant?

Top Bottom