FM3 through power amp and real cab

jespinoza14

Hey yall,
I am new at this and have been searching for hours, any help or point me in the right direction would be appreciated.If you are ever through Austin, I'll buy you a beer!!

I hooked my FM3 to a Seymour Duncan 700 running to a Marshall 4 x12s and am getting nothing, no sound what so everPlease help...

Thanks. Joey

Hey, I'm literally moving to Austin next week! Just packed up my FM3 and board. With the New Cygnus firmware, it absolutely slays through my PS170 and 2x12 cab.

My money is on the output settings too. Can you add a screenshot of your preset in FM3 Edit?

Make sure cab sim is bypassed in global settings and set Output 2 to copy Output 1. That's really all there is to it. Set Out 2 to mono if you are only using a mono poweramp/cab.

Make sure cab sim is bypassed in global settings and set Output 2 to copy Output 1. That's really all there is to it. Set Out 2 to mono if you are only using a mono poweramp/cab.
Is bypassing cab sim in global settings necessary if you use a preset with no cab block?

Is bypassing cab sim in global settings necessary if you use a preset with no cab block?
No, but is necessary if he’s trying out factory presets, and since he’s new, it’s likely.

Speaker Impedance Curve on the Advanced Page of the amp block is another important parameter for the “feel” when using a real cab; you’ll want to match it to something as close to your cab as possible. But of course you’ll need to sort out your signal chain issue first…

Last edited:
I figured it out. My global
No, but is necessary if he’s trying out factory presets, and since he’s new, it’s likely.

Speaker Impedance Curve on the Advanced Page of the amp block is another important parameter for the “feel” when using a real cab; you’ll want to match it to something as close to your cab as possible. But of course you’ll need to sort out your signal chain issue first…

cab setting wasn’t off. Took awhile but it is cranking now!!
Appreciate your time!! Joey

Hey, I'm literally moving to Austin next week! Just packed up my FM3 and board. With the New Cygnus firmware, it absolutely slays through my PS170 and 2x12 cab.

My money is on the output settings too. Can you add a screenshot of your preset in FM3 Edit?
Output settings it was!!!
Thanks for your time!! Joey

Hi all, late answering to the topic,... but I will share my own experience of my preferred setup after several investigations in many Forums. Just sharing here in case usefull to somebody (free to use or fre to discard)

Using :
FM3 + PowerStage 170 + CABS Marshal 1936 & 1960
Les Paul & ESP Horizon II

SETTINGS & TODO’s:
  • INPUT sIgnal - Setup I/O INPUT 1 PAD (Close to 0 as possible)
  • On the Speaker page of the Amp block,
    • set Speak[1]er Drive, Speaker Compression to zero
    • Thump to zero or as desired
    • Set the LF Resonant Frequency to match the resonance of your connected cabinet
    • on the Advanced page of the amp block, set the Output Mode to “SS PWR AMP + CAB”.
  • GLOBAL SETTINGS: CONFIG PAGE: Speaker Impedance Curve (same as AMP Block above!)
  • Output 1 is ready to be connected to consumer line level inputs (-10 dbV no 4dB)
  • Output 2 has both LINE LEVEL and UNITY gain settings (recomm Unity , but then -> Output 2 Boost/Pad to review db Boost)
  • To set PEDAL1 Global Volume: SETUP: MIDI/Remote: Other. + select Output 2 + Select “PEDAL 1 (EXP/SW TIP)”
  • SETUP: Global: Config: Power Amp Modeling set to “ON”
  • SETUP: I/O: Audio and set Mode for the desired output to “COPY L->R”. (Decide)
  • the FM3 factory presets may be updated by Fractal Audio
  • SCENE REVERT OFF - MIDI/Remote menu under SETUP. 2. NAV to SCENE REVERT and set it “ON” or “OFF” as desired (OFF is desired)

REMINDER & Advices:
  • When placed in series, time-based effects like delay and reverb are usually best with their Bypass Mode set to “MUTE FX IN
  • Scenes cannot change block parameters, but Scene Controllers can. Four different knobs can be used with modifiers to change the value of desired parameters. See the tutorial on p. 70 for more on this
  • If you are using Drive in the Preamp section of the Cab, adjust that block instead of the amp. (Drive on CAB???)
  • When any compressor, gate, or ducking effect is positioned after the amp, it’s necessary to adjust the level of that particular block (or follows it) instead of the amp
  • While you can’t copy channels across blocks or presets on the FM3 itself, you can do this in FM3- Edit. You can also save the settings for any channel to the Block Library on your computer for instant recall whenever you need them

BEST PRACTICES to EVALUATE
  • A good practice for professional environments is to set any un-used scenes to whatever settings would cause the least trouble if they were recalled accidentally
  • The Scene Controller system provides a way for individual parameters or groups of parameters to have different values in different scenes.
  • CHANNELS & MODIFIERS any modifiers are shared across all Channels of a block. This is a great avoiding the need to apply the same modifier multiple times as you change channels.
  • Each scene has its own settings for four Scene Controllers
  • Scenes interact with special footswitch functions called Control Switches
  • The Setlists/Songs feature allows you to create structured lists of presets and scenes to load in a specific order when you play live ”Setlists & Songs” on p. 126
  • WAH: (I personally need to evaluate best setup (personally not a Wah experienced user, so I am wondering to automate)
    • ENVELOPE FOLLOWER
    • LFO setup?
    • Sequencer

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom