Not a Bug FM3 Stereo Phasing Issues?

Hi All,

New Fractal user...just got the FM3 for studio purpose and loving the sounds! However, I'm noticing some phasing issues...specifically I just tried tracking the 59 Bassguy on the Jumped scene and notice a phasey sound, especially when I play palm muted. I have it connected via the stereo xlr outs to two Neve 1073's and then running into my stereo ELOP+ compressor, then stereo into my Apollo (no mono for the entire chain). Any idea what may be causing this issue?

Also, while I'm at it, wondering if it's better to record the stereo signals in my DAW to two separate mono tracks panned wide, or sum both channels into one stereo track? (I am noticing the phasing issue either way btw)

And finally, if anyone has any info or links to good recording practices with the FM3, would love to read them.

Cheers!

Russell

Without a preset or at least a screenshot or two we can only guess...

Do you hear this problem without the DAW in the signal path? Do you hear it only when you are recording or also on playback from the DAW?

Do you have monitoring disabled in the DAW for your guitar tracks? If not, there will be a doubled signal with some latency added, which you might interpret as phase issues.

Thanks for the response! I can hear it without having my DAW open, just playing through the speakers...so I hear it when just playing and on playback after recorded. I do have input monitoring disabled. The preset is the '59 Bassguy' on the 'Jumped' scene that comes standard with the FM3. It's apparent when playing palm muted for some reason...open strum sounds fine. Cheers!

Thanks for the response! I can hear it without having my DAW open, just playing through the speakers...so I hear it when just playing and on playback after recorded. I do have input monitoring disabled. The preset is the '59 Bassguy' on the 'Jumped' scene that comes standard with the FM3. It's apparent when playing palm muted for some reason...open strum sounds fine. Cheers!
How are you monitoring?

Which Output are you using and what mode is set for that Output (Stereo, Sum, Copy)?

Is it possible your monitors are not in phase?

Can you hear it in headphones?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to think of possible causes.

You can always change the phase in the I/O setup menu. From p. 95 of the manual:

Output 1 Phase Output 2 Phase Output 3 Phase
NORMAL, INVERT
These parameters determine whether signal at the corresponding outputs will be normal or phase-inverted. This lets you compensate for unwanted inversions elsewhere in the signal chain.

You can always change the phase in the I/O setup menu. From p. 95 of the manual:

Output 1 Phase Output 2 Phase Output 3 Phase
NORMAL, INVERT
These parameters determine whether signal at the corresponding outputs will be normal or phase-inverted. This lets you compensate for unwanted inversions elsewhere in the signal chain.
That's not going to help with phase issues from a single stereo output, though...

No worries, I appreciate the help! One thing I wanted mention is that setting the mic spacing on the cab to 0% has helped a bit but it's still there. To clarify, I'm running both XLR outs (L and R) into two separate preamps, etc...so I'm not sure if that's considered a single stereo output or not. Since I can't figure out how to insert a photo without uploading, here's what my output config reads...

Output 1 - Stereo - +4dBu - Normal
Output 2 - Stereo Unity Gain - 0db - Normal

I'll give the phase switching a try and let you know. Thx again!

Forgot to say, it is the same in headphones...it literally sounds like there's a phaser on the preset but it isn't active. Inverting the phase didn't seem to do change it. Anyway, I've tried some other presets and don't have the issue so perhaps it's just something with that one.

No worries, I appreciate the help! One thing I wanted mention is that setting the mic spacing on the cab to 0% has helped a bit but it's still there. To clarify, I'm running both XLR outs (L and R) into two separate preamps, etc...so I'm not sure if that's considered a single stereo output or not. Since I can't figure out how to insert a photo without uploading, here's what my output config reads...

Output 1 - Stereo - +4dBu - Normal
Output 2 - Stereo Unity Gain - 0db - Normal

I'll give the phase switching a try and let you know. Thx again!
Using 2 separate preamps may be the cause. Maybe they have different latencies or phase?

What if you bypassed them and just use USB from the FM3?

Forgot to say, it is the same in headphones...it literally sounds like there's a phaser on the preset but it isn't active. Inverting the phase didn't seem to do change it. Anyway, I've tried some other presets and don't have the issue so perhaps it's just something with that one.
Using headphones plugged into the FM3 or elsewhere?

If it's only 1 preset then possible there's something with that preset...

It’s actually the same preamp just two channels, but yes I may give that a try. Oh man, I was listening in headphones through the Apollo, my bad!…will try direct to the FM3 tomorrow. Cheers!

Tried the headphones direct and no change so must just be the preset. Anyway, just wanted to say thanks again for taking the time to help...happy holidays!

Back
Top Bottom