FM3 sounds like an amp with a blanket on top of it

Among the worst monitors I've ever heard.

Yeah, sounds like garbage with the Axefx. What is odd is they actually sound good when running distortion pedals into them, but the Fractal stuff just doesn't jive with them. What kind would you recommend that doesn't break the bank? I keep hearing Yamahas are good.

Yeah, sounds like garbage with the Axefx. What is odd is they actually sound good when running distortion pedals into them, but the Fractal stuff just doesn't jive with them. What kind would you recommend that doesn't break the bank? I keep hearing Yamahas are good.

What is funny is pedals sound like trash into the Blue headphones, but the Fractal sounds glorious through them, go figure...

What is funny is pedals sound like trash into the Blue headphones, but the Fractal sounds glorious through them, go figure...
Are you talking about running pedals with no Amp?

In that case, you're missing a lot of tone shaping so no surprise that the Blue headphones sound bad.

Are you talking about running pedals with no Amp?

In that case, you're missing a lot of tone shaping so no surprise that the Blue headphones sound bad.

No. Running dist pedals in front of the Atomic Amplifire through headphones. Sounds good with the KRK but terrible through the Blue headphones. And its the opposite with the Fractal.

Wonder if the OP ever figured it out ?
I am standing by to see how this plays out......because I have felt the same way as the OP at times......but the issue in my case, I fear, may have something more to do with how I play the guitar, or how I hear my own guitar playing when I am in the context of a live band. I have perceived this effect with both amps and modelers, so it is certainly not specific to the FM3 in my own case.

I usually use my Beyerdynamic DT-880's to keep the family happy, but have been using Yamaha HSM-80's for years, and find them to be pretty neutral and translate well. The newer HS-80's aren't quite as fancy with the controls, but the basic monitor is the same.

I recommend the Adam A5x or A7x series for monitors. Sounds excellent in most use cases.

I'm really happy with the Kali LP-6 monitors. Sound great to me. Relatively inexpensive. But, I have very little (no?) experience with studio monitors. Bought them based on reviews (check out Fluff's review and comparison to $5k Neumanns).

I'm really happy with the Kali LP-6 monitors. Sound great to me. Relatively inexpensive. But, I have very little (no?) experience with studio monitors. Bought them based on reviews (check out Fluff's review and comparison to $5k Neumanns).
Forgot to mention I also have a pair of the Headrush 12inch FRFRs. I like them. Not muffled, but they are boomy to me. I tend to use the low cut a lot with them.

Full range: reproduces frequencies over a wide range (20-20K or so)
Flat response: amplifies all those frequencies in a similar fashion, gain wise. No bumps.

Of course, that’s all approximate.

Back
Top Bottom