FM3 sounds like an amp with a blanket on top of it

Kevdev01

I use a head rush 12 in cabinet.

im Trying to get good ac 30 sounds. But there are so many tweaking points I get lost.

my ac 30 only had a few nobs to use to dial in the tone.

is there a resource that explains the significance of all the tweaking points?

help!

Your can get a great sound without many tweaks , I just really stick with the basics gain ,bass treble etc , I do use the cut on that amp to get more treble , maybe reset amp block ,try different speaker. If you go one more page over on amp block there’s more adjustment

Last edited:
Don’t go into the deep editing parameters... it’s a trap.

JK... just use the basic knobs on the amp... set as you will on the real one if you have it. Then try the Ir’s... that’s where you can get lost but try to start with the usual suspects and tweak from there.

I can tell you that the unit isn’t at all dull sounding or muddy... maybe the opposite

Have you tried any of the free presets available from some of the talented folks here on the forum? If those sound like an amp with a blanket, there's something elsewhere in your rig that might be causing the problem.

Have you tried any of the free presets available from some of the talented folks here on the forum? If those sound like an amp with a blanket, there's something elsewhere in your rig that might be causing the problem.
This. Even the factory presets are wonderful. If it sounds like there’s a blanket over it, there’s something fundamentally wrong with how your rig is set up.

Check out different cabs. If everything still sounds like that you blew your tweeter in your headrush. I've done it before also. They are like 60 bucks to replace.

This. Even the factory presets are wonderful. If it sounds like there’s a blanket over it, there’s something fundamentally wrong with how your rig is set up.

Bird up. My guess is probably the Headrush12. I’ve had a few bruhjs use the HR with fractal units and their response was similar. The HR12 is an economical FRFR but it dolphinately lacks in the QUAL.

If you’re ever looking for a better FRFR, you’re spoiled for choice. A quick search of the forum will garner you mad info, but the CLIFF NOTES (HAHAHA GET IT?!?) version would be a Friedman ASM10 or ASM12, a Matrix amplification set up, Mission Gemini... However these are on the pricier side, so perhaps even try a random brand PA speaker, it’ll probably sound better than the HR12.

Hope this halps.

Not to send you into the long cycle of IR demos but pick your IR and THEN adjust your amp controls. You really have to spend some time to get to know the IRs and find ones that work for the sound you want. And remember you are getting a micd guitar sound, not an amp in the room sound.

This list is helpful but let your ears be your guide. https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

P.S. I bought some third party IRs when I was new and while they are great, I advise newbies to get to know the 2000 included ones. There's plenty of options no matter what you are going for.

This still holds true

"Sounds like you DI'd a Peavey Rage" That is a classic quote. Thanks for the laugh this morning Leon. Most of us semi-old-timers (especially in the States) probably started on some form of Peavey Combo. 🤘

I recommend using Blue Audio headphones with Fractal stuff, to me it sounds more clear than my studio monitors. My studio monitors (KRK) are kinda bassy and boomy and it colors the sound too much-makes it sound muffled.

I recommend using Blue Audio headphones with Fractal stuff, to me it sounds more clear than my studio monitors. My studio monitors (KRK) are kinda bassy and boomy and it colors the sound too much-makes it sound muffled.
KRK's are notoriously hyped in those frequencies

Back
Top Bottom