FM3 sounding better through headphones than monitors

Alseus

Hello all, not really sure that this is an issue, but more of something that I would like to discuss. Currently I don't really enjoy the sound that I get from my JBL LSR308s as much as I do from my AKG K240s. Maybe it has something to do with the tweeter woofer combo vs open back headphones, but the headphones even being a relatively cheap pair are just a lot more enjoyable to my ears. I'm trying different stuff at the moment (tweaking the high cut for the harsh high end) but the monitors have a much harsher sound and the low end doesn't seem quite right. What's your experience? Anything you'd mention to a newbie?

I've always preferred modelers through headphones. A lot of guys don't. I also like listening to music through headphones. I've had the Axe 2 and Axe 3 and I absolutely love the engulfing experience of headphones when using them.

I've always preferred modelers through headphones. A lot of guys don't. I also like listening to music through headphones. I've had the Axe 2 and Axe 3 and I absolutely love the engulfing experience of headphones when using them.

The headphone experience with the FM3 is something else, really great and immersive. I didn't find the digital modeling that I've previously used to be even close to it.

I think a lot of monitors over-hype the high end. I have JBL LSR305's and I feel they kind of suck out the midrange and boost the highs a little too much. So I typically prefer to play though headphones as well.

When I briefly had a pair of little floor monitors, those felt/responded better IMO. Now those were super cheap and crappy, but I think it had something to do with the high end rolling off as they weren't on axis and also weren't right next to my ears.

I'm thinking of dumping the JBL monitors and getting a pair of those tiny little micro monitors for music, then getting a separate floor monitor for the Fractal. I think even the cheap little Headrush unit would be fine for low volume home use.

I ran my Axe Ultra through Monitors and preferred the sound that way. However the Axe 2, Kemper, and FM3 I prefer through headphones. Historically the DT 880 pro 250ohm have worked best, but I also enjoyed the Axe2 through Grado RS1i headphones too. I suspect it's just a case of ears adapting - I do like my headphones up loud enough to drown out the acoustic sound of the strings too.

My wife and kids prefer my FM3 through headphones too. So long as they are on my head, not theirs. :D

The thing with monitoring audio is everyone's ears are different, everyone setup is different etc. When I monitor through my JBL monitors, I expect to hear it a bit differently, so I have a set of outputs on my mixer specifically setup for them. When I use the headphones, I use yet another set of outputs and when I use my Turbosound IQ12 speaker, yet another set of outputs. Each one of these sets of outputs are eq'd specifically for the application.

Now I don't have an AxeFx or a FM3 yet but I do have a Fx8 that I have added amp/cab sim to.

Also maybe your room could benefit from some decent acoustic treatment. Make some bass traps, and steer away from that thin foam stuff.

As well as speaker positioning which is important.

I find when buying monitors it’s advisable to choose a pair that are suitable for your room size. Plus you have to like the sound of them - even though they are all trying to be flat, they all have a sound.

So many monitors claim to be flat response, yet they all have their own unique sound. "Flat" seems it has a pretty wide range of interpretations in the marketplace.

That said, strapping little speakers directly to your melon vs listening several feet away from big speakers in a room is going to be different experience no matter what you do. First and foremost, there's no room interaction with headphones. No reflections, no room modes, no ambience, no blending of channels, etc. Sometimes the room is the problem and not the monitors themselves, but starting with a reliably accurate source is definitely going to get you off on the right foot.

If the monitors sound good in the room with a band mix, the FM3 should really impress. When I first got it, it sounded great tested in a variety of different amplification scenarios, with various monitors (including the JBL308s). It is also excellent with cab block off and a SS power amp into cabinets with a Celestion G12-35XC or Eminence Lynch Super V12 for guitar, 2x10 cabinet for bass.

Don't know what to suggest: Check the gain staging? Guitar 0 or 6bd PAD on the input, +4db Output on the FM3 and the JBL308. Maybe -2bd treble trim adjustment on the JBL if its a small reflective room, or the Monitors are too close to the wall for the rear bass porting.

Last edited:
Hello all, not really sure that this is an issue, but more of something that I would like to discuss. Currently I don't really enjoy the sound that I get from my JBL LSR308s as much as I do from my AKG K240s. Maybe it has something to do with the tweeter woofer combo vs open back headphones, but the headphones even being a relatively cheap pair are just a lot more enjoyable to my ears. I'm trying different stuff at the moment (tweaking the high cut for the harsh high end) but the monitors have a much harsher sound and the low end doesn't seem quite right. What's your experience? Anything you'd mention to a newbie?
The K240s have a hyped / extended bass. You are probably enjoying that :)

Back
Top Bottom