FM3 Snap Crackle Pop with USB

seanmmu

I have been using strictly USB audio with my FM3 and kept getting cracking noises.
I always checked the input and output to see if I was getting clipping or CPU overload.
Fractal Support suggested I check the FM3 headphone out to see if the noise went away...and it did!

So, the assumption was it might be related to the USB noise reported previously. Dutifully waited for Firmware 2.0 for the usb fix.
Firmware 2.0 sounds great but I was still getting crackling noises when using USB connections.

I tried different external routing to eliminate any issues and happened to swap my RME USB cable for the cable used on my Ableton Push controller.
The Ableton USB has a little barrel shaped thing on the cable.
This seems to have addressed the crackling issue!

Now, the question is why. What does the little barrel thing do? The image file attached shows the two USB cables I used. Note the barrel on the end of the cable on the right.

Also any suggestions on best performance over USB would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Fractal USB.jpg
    Fractal USB.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 16
Interesting. Thank you!

Any way to track down the source?
Does anyone else use this type of cable?
Tips for best USB performance are definitely appreciated.

Thanks all! As it turns out, the ferrite bead version did help...for a while.
It is certainly possible that the other USB cable was faulty but I've never had problems with it as the main usb cable connecting my RME interface.

Monitoring through the FM3 headphone jack is quiet. My next step is to try connecting to my RME interface with XLR cables. Frankly, I'm a little suspicious of the state of the USB audio implementation. I also think there may be some significant interference source that comes and goes.

Next time this happens, I will attempt to record the noise. I'm seeing more threads on noisy USB sound card so there may be more to be revealed.

Snap crackle pop noise has disappeared. Still using the USB cable with ferrite bead.
Perhaps my neighbor has stopped beaming sonic weapons in my directions.

Yek: even though ferrite bead seamed to improve the situation, system was totally quiet today. Very strange.
So I switched back to the original USB. Still silent.
...which is great.

Still the source of the original problem is a mystery so any tip on filtering interference or better cables is appreciated, just in case.

Many thanks!

Back
Top Bottom