FM3 Slow?

Hi guys,

I've been using an AXE-FX3 for a few years at home plugged into the pc/monitors and live with an FC12.

I decided to get an FM3 for practice and small gigs, just got it today, firmware is 5.03.

I immediately noticed how slow it is changing scenes and presets, compared to my AXE-FX3!
It's both slow on the buttons and on the footswitches. I actually don't think I can use it live because the patch changes are sooo laggy!

Is this normal?

Thanks all

Hi guys,

I've been using an AXE-FX3 for a few years at home plugged into the pc/monitors and live with an FC12.

I decided to get an FM3 for practice and small gigs, just got it today, firmware is 5.03.

I immediately noticed how slow it is changing scenes and presets, compared to my AXE-FX3!
It's both slow on the buttons and on the footswitches. I actually don't think I can use it live because the patch changes are sooo laggy!

Is this normal?

Thanks all
Hello Paulo, I can't compare to the III because I've only ever used the FM3. However, I would not describe mine as slow at all. I have and do use it for live performance.

I would suspect the III to be faster because of having more power, but again I've never had issues with the FM3.

I'm sure others will chime in here with advice, but I'm thinking maybe you could try to reinstall the FW.

You might try explaining in greater detail what exactly you are experiencing because it's sort of vague as stated.

I'm sure others will chime in here with advice, but I'm thinking maybe you could try to reinstall the FW.

You might try explaining in greater detail what exactly you are experiencing because it's sort of vague as stated.
I'll try to reinstall the firmware, thanks.

As @hubula mentions, it feels sluggish .. I press a footswitch and the sound doesn't change instantly like the AXE3 does. The buttons and menus have the same slow feeling compared to the AXE3, kinda like when you have a slow pc or something.

I switched from AF3 to FM3. It was noticeably slower when using the editor. Live I don't notice the difference, but I don't often need to change presets in the middle of a song.

Hi guys,

Is this normal?

Thanks all
We don’t know enough about what you are trying to do, and what you are doing when comparing the two.

What preset is it?

Presets that push the CPU % to 80+ cause the system’s threads to starve and can affect the responsiveness.

I have both units, and, on my systems there is little difference in switching speed, and the FM3 is definitely fast enough for stage use by a pro.

It is slower than the III and the FM9, but plenty of folks have been and still are using FM3 live. I don't see\experience the lag the way you state it.
I also do not load up my presets to the max. Just as easy to switch imho.

We don’t know enough about what you are trying to do, and what you are doing when comparing the two.

What preset is it?

Presets that push the CPU % to 80+ cause the system’s threads to starve and can affect the responsiveness.

Yes, I also noticed that, heavy presets makes it even slower.

I have both units, and, on my systems there is little difference in switching speed, and the FM3 is definitely fast enough for stage use by a pro.

I believe that, that's why I got it.

I was ok with the unit not being able to reproduce very heavy presets, but I wasn't aware of the performance difference on the switching and menu's, it is noticeably slower and I didn't knew that.

I guess I've been spoiled with the AX3 and got used to some extravaganzas, like switching presets mid song, because it was just so responsive.

I will have to adapt to using only scene changes for the most.

press a footswitch and the sound doesn't change instantly like the AXE3 does
Also remember that on the FM3, most changes happen when you release the switch, rather than when you press it. See "The Rules of Switch Timing" in the owner's manual for more on this. You can get used to this by anticipating the musical moment. An artist I support put it like this:
"So instead of '1, 2,3, DOWN!' It's '1,2,3 Down-UP'"

Also remember that on the FM3, most changes happen when you release the switch, rather than when you press it. See "The Rules of Switch Timing" in the owner's manual for more on this. You can get used to this by anticipating the musical moment. An artist I support put it like this:
"So instead of '1, 2,3, DOWN!' It's '1,2,3 Down-UP'"
Matt, that is the default only on the three internal switches, right? For the FC units they honor what we set them to in FC Edit?

Hi guys,

Is this normal?

Thanks all
Yeah I noticed the difference when I first used the Axe-FX III... there are things you can do to compensate. I like @ZenRigs Man 's method for gapless. I also like his album for how I should get better at guitar! 🙂 (funny but not so funny also)

IME the FM3 is slower changing Scenes than my Axe II, and my show is automated so it's changing via MIDI CC's (no button pushes etc).

For snappier Scene changes CPU should be kept to a max of 75% or so.

That said, it's certainly usable at 75% - 80% CPU, just slightly sluggish.

Back
Top Bottom