FM3 Simulating a Classical Guitar sound (Nylon Strings) possible?

For a long time now I've been trying to find a way to use my electric guitar to simulate a classical guitar sound (Nylon strings).
I haven't been able to find any pedals to do that and I want to avoid having to put a midi pickup on my guitar.
As the FM3 is so powerful, has anyone been able to simulate a nylon string guitar with the FM3 or have any idea on how to do this?
Any ideas?

I’ve heard acoustic guitar simulations that were useful, but I’ve never heard one that was convincing. To simulate the unique attack, voice and decay of a classical guitar would be even more difficult. I don’t see how it’s possible without going the MIDI/synth route.

If you have an IR of a nylon string it can be simulated, but whether you find it convincing or not is another story.
That would get you closer to the sound, but the problem is that magnetic pickups don't have a smooth response. They act as comb filters, and you can't EQ that out. And you still haven't addressed the attack and decay of a classical guitar. Those are a big part of the unique classical sound.

Agreed. That's why I said it may not be convincing. Personally, I hate acoustic sims using electric guitars. All of them sound terrible, IMO. The were some nylon string IRs floating around at one time. Playing an acoustic using a Nylon IR gets you closer.

The guitar looks great..it'll probably cost a lot..I just need it for a couple of tracks I need to record so I don't want to spend too much :eek:/
It was $700, so not too much (compared to getting a roland and the midi pickup and so forth). Plus, I use it more than I though. The thick neck is great to practice on.

The guitar looks great..it'll probably cost a lot..I just need it for a couple of tracks I need to record so I don't want to spend too much :eek:/
Just a thought but depending where you live couldn’t you rent one for as long as you need. I imagine a lot of models come with on-board pickups in which case you could use an IR of a classical guitar to shape the sound if it was quacky.

I hear you, I enjoy exploring different sounds on my electric guitar. Specifically, I like a convincing acoustic sound and a nylon sound (classical background). Recently I was going to go with a Godin, but was inadvertently steered away from them to Kiesel due to a certain model's availability and also they are building almost exclusively Richlite fingerboards now (I don't want to mount a midi p/u either); I've got a Kiesel SH575 on the way. Anyway, I also picked up a Roland GR-20 since I'm just testing the synth access waters and figure I can always upgrade if I like it.

Another problem with trying to simulate a nylon string with an electric is sustain. Nylons have almost zero sustain (compared to steel).

Yes, A strat with Nylon strings with a Ghost System Piezo Pickups... Similar to this: Nylon Strings Strat I'll record a video of it when I get time so you can hear it with my FM3. Sounds Great! :)
Cool, but I guess it sort of defeats your original quest to find a way to make an electric sound like a nylon string. Can I ask why you wouldn't just use a regular nylon string guitar?

Back
Top Bottom