FM3 setup with UAD Apollo Twin X

Costa

I just got the FM3 and I am experimenting with different setups. I currently have the MOTU UltraLite mk3 and I connected the FM3 with XLRs to the MOTU and the sound was OK. My speakers are the Yamahas HS8.
Then I used the USB from the FM3 to connect it directly to the computer bypassing the MOTU, and I think the sound was better, I am still testing it.
So I have a question:

If I was to purchase the Universal Audio Apollo Twin x and connected the FM3 with spdif / toslink would that sound better than using the FM3 as the audio interface?

Also has anyone tried to use the FM3 with a MOTU interface using spdif? Would the sound quality be the same as with using the XLRs or about the same?

Thanks,
Costa

If you are going into the MOTU units with XLR, you are using MOTUs mic preamp. It should sound better if you use the 1/4 cables, which bypasses the preamp. Or spdif.

If you are going into the MOTU units with XLR, you are using MOTUs mic preamp. It should sound better if you use the 1/4 cables, which bypasses the preamp. Or spdif.
Thank you for your answer, ok I’ll try that. So go from XLR on the FM3 to 1/4 cable on the MOTU. Or is there a dedicated 1/4 out of the FM3? I can’t remember now..

OUT2 on the FM3 is 1/4, but you would have to add the FX send block to your patches. Give the spdif a try, it should sound like using the FM3 as a USB interface.

Also I checked the mk3 manual and it suggests using the rear 1/4 inputs instead of the combo for line level

Attachments

• motu.png
    motu.png
    10.4 KB · Views: 20
Thank you, and I did try it, but somehow I was not happy with the MOTU UltraLite mk3's D/A converters. When I used the FM3 as the digital audio converter through USB, the sound was so much better it was warmer, more like a real amp, and since I am bypassing the mic preamp on the MOTU, then the difference it must be on the D/A converters of the MOTU vs the FM3's converters.
So now I am thinking I should try the Universal Audio Apollo twin X, to see if their digital to analog converters are better. They must be..

When I used the FM3 as the digital audio converter through USB, the sound was so much better it was warmer, more like a real amp...

Fractal gear is excellent for conversion.

If it matters the converters in the Axe-Fx III are exceptionally high quality. What most people don't understand is that the converters themselves are only part of the story. The analog electronics interfacing to the converters are at least as important if not more so. Many consumer grade products (our competitors included) use single-ended circuitry. To get the best performance from an A/D or D/A converter requires using balanced circuitry but that costs twice as much. Also the choice of components will affect the performance. We use balanced circuitry on all our inputs and outputs all the way to and from the converters. We also use premium op-amps and poly film capacitors in crucial locations. Most consumer gear uses single-ended circuitry and low-cost TL07x op-amps (or NE5532). The conversion in the Axe-Fx III is reference grade.

Yes I used spdif to go to the MOTU, and it wasn't as good as using the FM3 as the main unit. I do believe now that the Fractal gear are very good for D/A conversion. I tested it myself and there is a huge difference.
I don't know how that would compare using the Universal audio's converters, but the MOTU's converters are not as good as the FM3's.

I did purchase the Universal Audio Apollo X and the sound of the FM3 got even better. UA has great D/A converters, and the FM3's converters are great as well, but the UA's are even better. My setup is from the spdif out of the FM3 to a little converter box ( spdif to Toslink ) converter and then to the optical input of the UA. The sound was really nice, warm, bright, and I could feel the depth of the effects so much more, I felt like this was a great setup for home use.

I have done the same spdif toslink connection with my axe 3 mkii into Apollo twin x,
It sounds fine
But am I bypassing the Apollo pres this way?
I hope that I am but I’m not sure they can be bypassed

I have done the same spdif toslink connection with my axe 3 mkii into Apollo twin x,
It sounds fine
But am I bypassing the Apollo pres this way?
I hope that I am but I’m not sure they can be bypassed
You’re going into the digital input this way. You can insert Uad plugins if you want, but you are bypassing mic pres and the whole unison thing. I just got little converter box for spdif/toslink and it works great. Gotta run sessions at 48k, but that’s fine by me.

I did purchase the Universal Audio Apollo X and the sound of the FM3 got even better. UA has great D/A converters, and the FM3's converters are great as well, but the UA's are even better. My setup is from the spdif out of the FM3 to a little converter box ( spdif to Toslink ) converter and then to the optical input of the UA. The sound was really nice, warm, bright, and I could feel the depth of the effects so much more, I felt like this was a great setup for home use.

This doesn’t make sense to me. Technically, no conversion should have ever taken place beyond the initial guitar signal, since you maintained a digital signal all the way through from the Axe to the Apollo to the PC. It really shouldn’t sound any different. 🤔

This doesn’t make sense to me. Technically, no conversion should have ever taken place beyond the initial guitar signal, since you maintained a digital signal all the way through from the Axe to the Apollo to the PC. It really shouldn’t sound any different. 🤔
he's referring to d/a conversion not a/d conversion - as in the analog outputs of the Uad are better than the fm3

Pardon the naive inquiry, but if OP wasn't happy with the sound of the FM3's "output/outs" isn't that just a matter of adjusting the EQ out? It just seems like an extra step to get that last 2% of whatever it is sound you're hearing in your head.. And this is just so you can have a better experience monitoring/hearing what you're digitally recording? OR, are you feeding the FM3's digital signal into the Apollo and then the Apollo and it's plugins are what you're recording in your DAW?? Like the Apollo is the "final treatment?" Again, pardon the naivety.

he's referring to d/a conversion not a/d conversion - as in the analog outputs of the Uad are better than the fm3

Ah, that makes sense. I wouldn’t expect that to make a very noticeable difference. Now I’m gonna have to try it.

Ah, that makes sense. I wouldn’t expect that to make a very noticeable difference. Now I’m gonna have to try it.
You would be surprised - I have a mastering grade d/a which is superior to fm3- can make all the difference to frequency response and stereo representation.

There was a video on YouTube which was comparing axefx 3 with Cygnus and Fm3 with Ares. Most comments were saying there was panning difference. This is not necessarily down to Cygnus but they were using the xlr out. As I understand it the axefx3 has superior d/a converters (Burl I think)

Back
Top Bottom