FM3 Setup & Monitoring Help Needed

In the price range of the headrush I really suggest to give the Harley Benton FRFR-112A a try.
I really get good sounding FM3 out of it and the advantage is that it has an internal DSP with several EQ options.
So you can EQ the FRFR instead to change EQ settings on FM3.
Thats an advantage too using FM3 with different speakers.
I do use it at home and use other stuff on rehearsal so I can optimze the FM3 for rehearsal and adapt the EQ on the FRFR to get nearly the same sound at home.
I think I would be not afraid to use it on small pub gigs too.

yo, so fadetoblack joined my live stream and we went through several things:

first we verified that Power Amp Modeling and Cab Sims were on. so that was good to go.

we then plugged the guitar straight into the headrush speaker and it sounded as expected - so the guitar, cable, and speaker were working properly.

then we setup a preset on the FM3 with just Input to Output to the headrush, and it sounded clean and as expected - this means the FM3 was working properly, and the XLR from FM3 to headrush worked as well.

from there i setup some basic amp and cab sounds and he copied what i did and got a relatively similar sound, which was better than what it sounded before.

we then checked the Input level. it was set at 12dB for the Pad this whole time, but the Input lights were still clipping constantly, so we changed that to 18dB and the Input Clipping stopped.

from here, cleans were cleaner, and things sounded better than they did before. that's where we stopped for today, but next time the FM3 is used, it should have a better starting point.

i think we at least confirmed that all gear is working as intended, and from this point, it's finding the right amps and cabs and creating tones with all the gear that works together.
Awesome triage Chris!

In the price range of the headrush I really suggest to give the Harley Benton FRFR-112A a try.
I really get good sounding FM3 out of it and the advantage is that it has an internal DSP with several EQ options.
So you can EQ the FRFR instead to change EQ settings on FM3.
Thats an advantage too using FM3 with different speakers.
I do use it at home and use other stuff on rehearsal so I can optimze the FM3 for rehearsal and adapt the EQ on the FRFR to get nearly the same sound at home.
I think I would be not afraid to use it on small pub gigs too.
That looks like a really full featured FRFR for $235!

That looks like a really full featured FRFR for $235!
Europe 269€ actually - was 249€ before
Yes - well built and sounds good, with little onboard EQ-ing and mandatory low cut on FM3 presets or global EQ working fine.
Got 2 of them and also use them for my Mesh Drumkit with Superior Drummer - Kickdrum sounds awesome too for this price.
Sure - compared to ones 2 or 3 times the price it will sure miss something but if not it would be strange.

I purchased a headrush 108(brand new) for my FM3. I am using an esp ltd kh602 with active emgs 81-85s. And it sounds like shit. Ive seen videos on youtube of people using factory presets and they sound amazing. When I try them, they sound like a shitty amp with a blown speaker. What am I doing wrong? Ive even tried making my owen preset with delay and reverb and it still sounds like shit......help

Have you tried using headphones? Perhaps it's the Headrush.

EDIT: sorry I just now read Chris sorted some of the issues out with the OP

Keeping my eye out on frfr speakers with this thread. Seems like there's still lots of room for further innovationon this front. When I need one, I rent something according to the gig. If Fractal made one that integrates well with their units.... I'd give that a hard look.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Have you tried using headphones? Perhaps it's the Headrush.

EDIT: sorry I just now read Chris sorted some of the issues out with the OP
Hi thanks for answering. Yes ive tried it with studio beats. And it sounded horrible. And Chris did help me make it sound a bit bettee than it did before. Amazing help he is

Tell me about it, you would think for the price studio beats costs that they would sound decent.
Don't get me wrong, I like my beats...for their purpose -- listening to Spotify or streaming stuff on my iPad. But for studio-quality reproduction, no way.

Take a look at GC or MF for daily sales. Today they actually have a nice looking pair of Marantz studio cans for $30 that I'm debating. I have a set, but they're my first studio set, so I'm not sure I couldn't get better quality.

That said, I also find fatigue comes on a lot faster with headphones, especially when I'm playing with dirt. Like, heavy fuzz it happens fastest for me, OD a but slower, breakup a bit slower. But all way faster than when I played through any of my amps.

I'm actually looking at reasonable amplification options now. Weighing FRFRs vs some PAs, or just studio monitors since I don't have a band these days and really only ever play in my home office.

I also find fatigue comes on a lot faster with headphones,
High quality headphones are not cheap but they are worth every penny.

My cheapest are some Audio-Technica ATH-M40x, that are ok for practice but not critical listening or mastering or editing presets.

I use Sennheiser HD650, beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm, or Blue Mix-Fi headphones for hours and hours with no problem. With any it’s important to create a compensating GEQ or PEQ block to help flatten their sound, using it only when adjusting the EQ of the amp or preset.

I'm actually looking at reasonable amplification options now. Weighing FRFRs vs some PAs, or just studio monitors since I don't have a band these days and really only ever play in my home office.
I’d recommend good studio monitors in a treated room if you don’t play out.

Don't get me wrong, I like my beats...for their purpose -- listening to Spotify or streaming stuff on my iPad. But for studio-quality reproduction, no way.

Take a look at GC or MF for daily sales. Today they actually have a nice looking pair of Marantz studio cans for $30 that I'm debating. I have a set, but they're my first studio set, so I'm not sure I couldn't get better quality.

That said, I also find fatigue comes on a lot faster with headphones, especially when I'm playing with dirt. Like, heavy fuzz it happens fastest for me, OD a but slower, breakup a bit slower. But all way faster than when I played through any of my amps.

I totally get you. I am in no way a pro or even an accomplisged guitar player. I bought my fm3 on a whim. Didnt even really need it. I also got the headrush. But I feel the fm3 "sucks" since i cant get it to sound anywhere near as good as my Boss GT1. sadly. Even with the headrush it doesnt sound as good

I totally get you. I am in no way a pro or even an accomplisged guitar player. I bought my fm3 on a whim. Didnt even really need it. I also got the headrush. But I feel the fm3 "sucks" since i cant get it to sound anywhere near as good as my Boss GT1. sadly. Even with the headrush it doesnt sound as good
It’s not the FM3. I was using mine live last Wednesday into two EV PXM-12 cabs and got several compliments on the sound. I use pretty much the default settings on both the FM3 and the EVs.

It’s not the FM3. I was using mine live last Wednesday into two EV PXM-12 cabs and got several compliments on the sound. I use pretty much the default settings on both the FM3 and the EVs.
Agreed. There are too many folks getting great tones easily out of this thing. When I received mine (almost 2 yrs ago?) I simply plugged in and played. I immediately started jamming with the factory presets no problem. There's some unknown variable(s) at work here.

Back
Top Bottom