FM3 Scene Switching Lag

You can make them whatever you want them to be. You'll need to figure out how you would like to navigate. Do a backup and experiment away. If you get too far out there you can always load your backup and start over

Is this an issue serious enough to be worth going III instead of FM3 for?
The 3 actually is faster but not 100% seamless if you are switching
delays and reverb channels
its faster and there are more ways around it like using 2 amps 1 per block on the same channel
but its definitely faster YMMV

Hate to be the devils advocate, but "the audience doesn't care" argument is a fallacy. In this day and age, I'm in the audience as is a great number of other musicians and I care. If I'm seeing a band and the guitar dial in is not great, I'm not enjoying it period. If you miss changes timing, gear or otherwise, I'm not enjoying it.

So if the guitar solo scene is 100 milliseconds late you can't enjoy the show?
That's just silly! You take yourself way too seriously and probably haven't toured or even played out a lot.
If you can't work around even the slightest problem then live performance may not be for you LOL!
Shit happens on a regular basis and often the audience only knows something's wrong because an unprofessional musician can't keep his composure.

Yes, there is an audio drop out (in lieu of a 'pop') but If you can't figure out how to change scenes or presets to accommodate a few millisecond pause within the context of a song, it's not the gear at fault. If you absolutely have to be seamless, there are tools like Control Switches that will work. If you don't want to use the tools available to give you what you want, again, it's not the gear at fault.

If you've used physical amps and pedals, you had to figure out when to make changes to amp channel(s) and effects pedals for different song parts. Same applies to the FM3. The big difference is that you can set up the FM3 to need only one footswitch for multiple changes rather than two or more on a traditional board, which BTW takes much longer than the 'gap' in the FM3.

Hello. I am getting some pretty disturbing lag when switching scenes. No hold function assigned. Also, it happens when the FM3 edit is paused or if the USB is disconnected. Are there specific blocks causing this delay? It is pretty bad.
If you want a real answer based on the reality of your preset you'll need to append it to your OP so we can all look at it and determine the problem. Without that you're getting guesses and shooting in the dark because we have absolutely no idea how it's set up.

I just got an FM3 last week and switching Scenes or even amps (by using Channels A-D) has quite a gap in audio IMO. Has this firmware update from FXIII been ported over to the FM3 yet? Maybe I am doing something wrong in my setup? To be fair I spent most of time with the factory presets switching using Scenes and it seems quite obvious to me.

Long story short, I don't know what the actual measurements are, but changing scenes within a preset (where you have 4 different amps in channels A, B, C, D) has an audible gap. Yes if your scene change is to keep the same amp model and just turning effects on/off then there's nothing but even going up in gain from clean to mid to high to lead in a preset has audio cutout.

I was looking into this and found a post from Cliff last fall where he said they hadn't ported out some of the AX FXIII software that reduces this even further. I am not sure if that has made it into 3.01 yet or not.
As said before, yes, there can be a very short drop then rise in volume as algorithms settle during a scene or channel change, otherwise there'd be a burst of noise which is very unpleasant.

See Switching scenes can cause an audio gap and Switching channels can cause an audio gap in the Wiki.

So if the guitar solo scene is 100 milliseconds late you can't enjoy the show?
That's just silly! You take yourself way too seriously and probably haven't toured or even played out a lot.
If you can't work around even the slightest problem then live performance may not be for you LOL!
Shit happens on a regular basis and often the audience only knows something's wrong because an unprofessional musician can't keep his composure.
The point was simply the argument that the audience are basically sheep doesn't fly anymore.

And that's right, if I paid money to see a performance, and you're a hack and can't switch in time, it's gonna show, the gear isn't going to save you, and it's not enjoyable.

I'm not talking about the local covers bands playing pubs --》I happen to be doing one of those currently for fun, but I'm sure you can pass judgment on someones entire life based on what they are doing now after 33 years lol....

Anyways kids,

There is no such thing as 100% seamless when using a minimalist solution such as the FM3 no matter how you program it, you're going to need to learn to perform with it.

I love Fractal but my FM-3 had the lag, and it happened fairly often. As the singer I rely heavily on scenes. Example would be going from a pretty dry Friedman BE100 rhythm sound for a verse, to a Matchless Chieftain with delay, reverb for the chorus. The lag was about 1/2 second but it drove me nuts. I sold the FM-3 to go back to tubes, but will likely be back to the III at some point

I love Fractal but my FM-3 had the lag, and it happened fairly often. As the singer I rely heavily on scenes. Example would be going from a pretty dry Friedman BE100 rhythm sound for a verse, to a Matchless Chieftain with delay, reverb for the chorus. The lag was about 1/2 second but it drove me nuts. I sold the FM-3 to go back to tubes, but will likely be back to the III at some point
That's an audio gap, not a lag...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm new to the FM3.
I noticed an audio gap when switching scenes and started looking into it. I had two identical scenes yet there was still an audio gap when I switched. I eventually discovered if I had a bypassed Drive block right next to an Amp block then the audio gap was present. If I created a space between the Drive and the Amp then there was no noticeable audio dropout. The space between the Drive and Amp could be a shunt or any other bypassed effect.

There's still a dropout when switching the Amp channel or if the Drive is enabled.

what's the best way to reduce the lag? my current settings is getting a very annoying lag from clean amp to dirty amp

is the Axe FX 3 faster at switching than the Fm3? I tried using 1 delay and 1 reverb for both amps and it was not as much lag as my previous preset ( I think) but still enough to be annoying
Would it be faster to just change channels on the amp? is that a thing?

A few tips to remove lags/drop-outs/whatsoever

• remove hold functions! it definitely increases the response time
  • change multiple blocks (bypass states) instead of channels
  • get rid of multiple blocks and channels: use scene controllers instead

I removed all hold functions and channel switches, I stay with one amp and change everything via scene controllers.
No lag, no dropouts - instant changes and perfect spillover.
I even change scene levels via scene controllers and everything run 100% smooth.

A few tips to remove lags/drop-outs/whatsoever

• remove hold functions! it definitely increases the response time
  • change multiple blocks (bypass states) instead of channels
  • get rid of multiple blocks and channels: use scene controllers instead

I removed all hold functions and channel switches, I stay with one amp and change everything via scene controllers.
No lag, no dropouts - instant changes and perfect spillover.
I even change scene levels via scene controllers and everything run 100% smooth.
The Hold function "delay" doesn't require removing the Hold function.

You merely need to press/release quicker.

When there is a Hold function the Tap function fires on switch release not press.

Of course, removing the Hold makes that problem go away.

Back
Top Bottom