FM3 - running through ?

ASD

I’m still old school with an AXE FX II and a FX8 and looking to migrate to the next generation. I’ve listened to various clips that sound great but I’ve rarely found users that discuss their entire rig. For live and rehearsal sounds, what are you using to amplify the FM3?

here’s one user pulling decent sounds but not sure if he’s running through powered monitors or what he plans to use live (?).

A lot of folks use a a full range flat response (FRFR) solution like the Atomic CLR, Friedman ASC, etc. Others just run straight to front of house.

I like to use my FM3 through my real tube amps’ FX loops so that’s also an option.

Edit: oh and some people just use theirs for recording and don’t play live.

I've owned the Ultra, AFX2, AX8, and have an FM3 on the way... Through a variety of FRFR speakers such as JBL PRX612, Verve, Behringer Keyboard Amp, Equator Audio D5 studio monitors, etc..... but the absolute best quality sound I found was simply running the AFX directly into the FX Loop of a tube amp and into a cab (so turn off your CAB block).

Currently I'm running through FX Loop of my 5153 LBX2 amp into a 1x12 Creamback loaded in a Tech21 Power engine open back cab that I modified to bypass the Tech21 PE's amp so that the unit basically just acts as a passive cab. It sounds awesome - better than any FRFR/IR combination (this is just my anecdotal experience and opinion).

Before I tried this, I was convinced I was going to start using my AX8 in 4CM with the 5153. But then I tried going direct to FX loop using a 5153 100W amp emulation in the AX8 and I was blown away... I didn't want the AX8 to sound/feel better, but it did. Of course, part of this could be the 15W real amp vs. 100W emulation. But since I know the 100W is not an option for me, it proved that the emulation + FX loop combination was better than using the 5153 in 4CM. Plus it opens up the possibility of using the hundreds of other amps in the AFX.

Our world is full of confirmation bias, so since the results defied my bias, I'm convinced this was the way to go moving forward for me.

For recording, my FM3 just runs through my JBL studio monitors like everything else. For playing out, I am going to use front of house and for stage monitoring a Bogner 1x12 cube and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage. The FM3 sounds great, in my opinion through the PowerStage and Bogner.

Reactions: ASD
I run mine through power station and greenback quad. I love the sound so much and have never really liked the sound of going direct. We play smaller gigs so I get a sound that I like at the venue at a decent volume, mic up the cab with an e906, and push the fader up a bit to fill out the sound a bit more. Sounds awesome.

At home I play stereo through two Yamaha DXR10 speakers. I have small JBL studio monitors but don't run the FM3 through them. I did once and one of the speakers seemed to develop an issue (had to replace internal amp). I'm not sure if the FM3 caused the issue but I don't chance it. And I like the sound of the DXR10s.

Live I use just one of the DXR10s since I don't run stereo. I run it standing up as a sort-of back line. For a bit place, I could run two. I usually also run some into the FOH to get to the back seats a bit better though we played pretty small places that the backline can usually cover. We keep it simple.

Reactions: ASD
I've owned the Ultra, AFX2, AX8, and have an FM3 on the way... Through a variety of FRFR speakers such as JBL PRX612, Verve, Behringer Keyboard Amp, Equator Audio D5 studio monitors, etc..... but the absolute best quality sound I found was simply running the AFX directly into the FX Loop of a tube amp and into a cab (so turn off your CAB block).

Currently I'm running through FX Loop of my 5153 LBX2 amp into a 1x12 Creamback loaded in a Tech21 Power engine open back cab that I modified to bypass the Tech21 PE's amp so that the unit basically just acts as a passive cab. It sounds awesome - better than any FRFR/IR combination (this is just my anecdotal experience and opinion).

Before I tried this, I was convinced I was going to start using my AX8 in 4CM with the 5153. But then I tried going direct to FX loop using a 5153 100W amp emulation in the AX8 and I was blown away... I didn't want the AX8 to sound/feel better, but it did. Of course, part of this could be the 15W real amp vs. 100W emulation. But since I know the 100W is not an option for me, it proved that the emulation + FX loop combination was better than using the 5153 in 4CM. Plus it opens up the possibility of using the hundreds of other amps in the AFX.

Our world is full of confirmation bias, so since the results defied my bias, I'm convinced this was the way to go moving forward for me.
It is somewhat my hesitancy to jump into the FM3 realm as my favourite digital rig set up for live playing was the FX8 in a 4CM config. w/ a tube amp. I do love how my AXE FX II sounds through my Mackie powered monitors in my studio but live, except for the Kemper, I have not had the same success. That was a few years ago so I am revisiting the digital rig and will do more homework. thx for the replies.

... but the absolute best quality sound I found was simply running the AFX directly into the FX Loop of a tube amp and into a cab.
I concur. Assuming the amp’s FX loop is good, it’s very hard to beat this setup. Of course this also assumes its practical for you, but regardless I’ve also found this to be the best sounding method for me.

After running my axeII through matrix amp and 2 Xitone wedges, then through Fayette power station with NL12 cab and also one FR10 matrix for portability
The best tone I was able to achieve was in upgrading my NL12 with an F12X200 celestion powered by SD power stage 170
for me it is the right compromise between FRFR and tube amp+cab
all presets made on monitors translate well on this setup and can keep cab sim on
it is also very light

Two Atomic CLR powered wedges in front of me as monitors on stage or home. I like the two for stereo, but one is great by itself.

I’m running my FM3 through the fx return of my blues cube artist. Sounds great to me. Feels a bit more traditional too. I know that’s just a personal thing but I’ve got the best of both worlds. At least I do in my head.

I have had great results running my FM3 straight into the FX return of my Marshal DSL 50, disabling power amp emulation in the FM3 and effectively using the FM3 as preamp and FX only.

Output 1:

Matrix FR10. Lightweight, clean, Class AB power, loud, and the tuned enclosure gives me a little of the amp-in-the-room feel.

https://usa.matrixamplification.com/speakers/fr10.html

Output 2: IEM, PA, or FOH
+1 to this. I have a FR12 and like it. I have read quite a lot of forum posts with people extolling the virtues of going with 10" speakers instead. It does seem that the 10" speakers are far less prone to woofy low end that needs to be EQ'd out at higher volumes. If I could justify it, I would try one out.

I have had good experiences using matrix products. For big areas I have a gt800fx with 2 NL212 cabs (cab sims off). For smaller places and practice I have an FR12.

Back
Top Bottom