FM3 recognition problem

So... I uninstalled V1.00 driver and installed the new one, then booted the Fm3 with the PC on. It worked! BUT, only that time. I turned the Fm3 off, then back on, and it was borked up just like before.

Regardless, I appreciate the help, Chris! At least I have a work-around. Hopefully the OP can benefit.

Thanks, but nope. Here's what I just did:

1) Turn on PC
2) Check the forum and read your post
3) Connect FM3 cabling and boot FM3
4) When FM3 got booted a Windows "device unknown" (or something like that) message came up in the lower right hand corner of the screen
5) Opened Fm3-Edit (no connection)
6) Opened Preferences. The FM3 was initially shown as selected in Ports, but when I clicked on it, it disappeared and the only choice is <<none>>

This is the same borking that happens every time I don't boot the FM3 first. After this happens, rebooting the PC with the FM3 already booted does not work. The only out I've found is deleting the USB Host controller and rebooting.

View attachment 74605
Thanks. It was important to try this. Most of the time, it fixes the problem. As you discovered, once in a while it doesn't.

Thanks. It was important to try this. Most of the time, it fixes the problem. As you discovered, once in a while it doesn't.
Yeah, I think I'm just "lucky" with my fairly new PC. I remember now I didn't reinstall the FM3 audio driver because Windows kept getting it confused with the built-in sound card which my monitor speakers are connected to. I even had to move the monitor connection from the rear of the PC to the front because the rear stopped working. Maybe it's a hardware problem. Who knows.

Yeah, I think I'm just "lucky" with my fairly new PC. I remember now I didn't reinstall the FM3 audio driver because Windows kept getting it confused with the built-in sound card which my monitor speakers are connected to. I even had to move the monitor connection from the rear of the PC to the front because the rear stopped working. Maybe it's a hardware problem. Who knows.
If you set Windows to use the FM3 as the default audio output device, and you then turn off the FM3, the sound will revert back to your built-in card. If you then switch your FM3 back on, it'll "steal" audio away from the built-in card.

I'm starting to suspect you might have a PC conflict somewhere.

Last edited:
If you set Windows to user the FM3 as the default audio output device, and you then turn off the FM3, the sound will revert back to your built-in card. If you then switch your FM3 back on, it'll "steal" audio away from the built-in card.

I'm starting to suspect you might have a PC conflict somewhere.
Oh, I definitely have a PC conflict, but thus far I've resisted physical violence. ;)

Reactions: Rex
Happens to mine too. It only works whenever it feels like working. I have 3 different PCs and a bunch of USB cables. All my other interfaces work just fine but the FM3 is a pain in the ass. It’s stubborn when it doesn’t want to work.

I use a Mac and tried everything as I stated above, the ONLY thing that works for me is turning on the FM3 Then connecting. It’s an inconvenience for sure but not the end if the world. Some of the legends around here need to realize as great as this thing is, it’s still buggy and needs work

I use a Mac and tried everything as I stated above, the ONLY thing that works for me is turning on the FM3 Then connecting. It’s an inconvenience for sure but not the end if the world. Some of the legends around here need to realize as great as this thing is, it’s still buggy and needs work
Good thing no one’s stopped working on it ;)

Well, I've tried three different cables and and three different laptops...guess I'm never updating or downloading! My problem is that it WAS working and then a few days later....

SO! If I've tried every "trick" to try and get my computer to Recognize my FM3 AND I've tried three different laptops and four different cables AND the FM3 USB AUDIO DEVICE CONTROL panel says nothing is connected then what???
If Windows keeps telling me that my "device isn't working" how to I test to see if for some reason it is not transmitting?? I'm about to throw it all the way back to Fractal....

SO! If I've tried every "trick" to try and get my computer to Recognize my FM3 AND I've tried three different laptops and four different cables AND the FM3 USB AUDIO DEVICE CONTROL panel says nothing is connected then what???
If Windows keeps telling me that my "device isn't working" how to I test to see if for some reason it is not transmitting?? I'm about to throw it all the way back to Fractal....
Maybe your FM3 does have a hardware problem.

I assume you installed both FM3 drivers?

Maybe your FM3 does have a hardware problem.

I assume you installed both FM3 drivers?
Yes and It took a while for me to finally get it working. When I did it was great then I disconnected from my laptop for a few days because of work...came back and it's not worked since. I've tried everything, held my mouth just right, tried it all and nothing. Please help!

Yes and It took a while for me to finally get it working. When I did it was great then I disconnected from my laptop for a few days because of work...came back and it's not worked since. I've tried everything, held my mouth just right, tried it all and nothing. Please help!
It would be different if everything else I plug into that USB port wouldn't work but it does...except the one thing I want to.

I've done everything on the computer side so it must be a problem from FM3...not sure how you would even check that. Funny that when I turn it on or off the computer makes the sound as if something is being connected it just does not recognize what. FM3 USB Audio Control Panel says nothing there. Even uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers from Fractal.

Back
Top Bottom