FM3 recognition problem

stephenclark1

Experienced
Every time I unplug the USB, restart or just power down my Dell it will not recognize my FM3. FractalBot nor FM3 Edit will work. I've tried everything, then suddenly I try it later or something and there it is. No rhyme not reason. Anyone else??

When it doesn't recognize the FM3, have you tried going into Preferences and pointing it to the correct port?

Last edited:
The problem this time is I don't think it's even sending a signal through USB (and I've tried many) cable. It usually makes that "sound" when something is plugged in to the USB port but it's not even doing that. I can go to Device Manager and it's not even showing that one is there - and when it was sending the Do Not Recognize...message it at least saying an Unknown device was there.

Sorry just now getting back to this...I'm not sure where you want me to go to "Preferences". I plug other stuff into this USB and it works. The FM3 WAS working and I unplugged it and took my laptop somewhere. Came back, plugged it all back in and I've tried everything. Still getting Not Recognized message. Is there something in a menu in the FM3 I may have changed. Fractal Bot and Edit are useless if it can't be recognized.

turn on the FM3, then plug the usb cable into the computer.... I had the same issue, since I have been doing this it connects every time

turn on the FM3, then plug the usb cable into the computer.... I had the same issue, since I have been doing this it connects every time
Me too. I NEVER turn the PC on until the FM3 has almost finished booting, else the USB connection for FM3 Edit is screwed. When that happens I have to delete the USB controller in Device Manager, then reboot the PC with the power button (you lose the mouse and keyboard).

I’ve done every combination! I’ve looked for“preferences”...I must have different windows 10! I’ve watched video about this issue online and it just doesn’t work.

Me too. I NEVER turn the PC on until the FM3 has almost finished booting, else the USB connection for FM3 Edit is screwed. When that happens I have to delete the USB controller in Device Manager, then reboot the PC with the power button (you lose the mouse and keyboard).
Check Preferences in FM3-Edit. You'll often find that it's just looking at the wrong port.

Check Preferences in FM3-Edit. You'll often find that it's just looking at the wrong port.
Thanks, but nope. Here's what I just did:

1) Turn on PC
2) Check the forum and read your post
3) Connect FM3 cabling and boot FM3
4) When FM3 got booted a Windows "device unknown" (or something like that) message came up in the lower right hand corner of the screen
5) Opened Fm3-Edit (no connection)
6) Opened Preferences. The FM3 was initially shown as selected in Ports, but when I clicked on it, it disappeared and the only choice is <<none>>

This is the same borking that happens every time I don't boot the FM3 first. After this happens, rebooting the PC with the FM3 already booted does not work. The only out I've found is deleting the USB Host controller and rebooting.

1604274693537.png

This is a follow-up to my post above.

I uninstalled the USB Host Controller, then pressed the PC power button, which put the PC to sleep. So I pulled the power cord. During this time the FM3 was still powered up. When I rebooted I regained control of my mouse and keyboard, but the FM3 was still not recognized. So this time I deleted the USB Root Hub, pressed the power button, turned off the FM3, and pulled the PC power for 10 seconds. Then I booted the FM3, and when it was fully booted I booted the PC. Since I had screwed around with the Port setting in FM3-Edit I had to go back and reselect the Fm3, but I normally do not need to to this after this procedure.

Back
Top Bottom