Bug? FM3 randomly freezes (FW4.00 and 4.01)

Just reporting in that I got one of these 5 minutes ago. FM3 stopped responding to my input. I had my DAW open and it was in reamp mode. On FM3 edit the cab blocks were blank (as in the cab numbers were not showing at all). Restarted the unit and it cleared everything up. If it happens again I will provide more detail. Hopefully it won't. Firmware: 4.0.1, FM3Edit: 1.05.02

Thanks to Knut from G66, we found the culprits : 2 of my presets were corrupted & were freezing the FM3. I redid them from scratch with copying manually screen captures of every page. Now my FM3 never freezes again !

@rglr Hi - have you had a chance to check this out yet - I have rolled back to 3.02 and so far no problems - I have had to re-write patches though as they ar not backwards convertable as far as I can see....

@rglr Hi - have you had a chance to check this out yet - I have rolled back to 3.02 and so far no problems - I have had to re-write patches though as they ar not backwards convertable as far as I can see....
We are actively looking at issues such as these. Unfortunately they are difficult to reproduce.
You might try the following with your newly rewritten presets:
1. backup all presets with fractal-bot
2. upgrade to 4.00 or 4.01
3. do not perform the "upgrade presets" utility (to eliminate unnecessarily compounding the issue)
4. see how you go. if you are running fine like this then it could indicate your previous presets were corrupt.

I did not have much time to play lately, but since posting this it hasn't happened again.

I report back if it happens again, hopefully with some helpful information. But it really seems random ...
Ambient temperatures here are lower now, but I don't think this has something to do with it.

My FM3 has also been locking up recently. It seems to happen when I push the CPU over the limit. An example of this would be enabling a second voice in the synth block or adding a looper block to a preset close to the limit.

Is this normal? I imagine I could keep my FM3 under 80 percent without much trouble but I like to get the most of each preset.

I have rebuilt my preset. So far I have no problems with the FM3 freezing.
Seems to be probably due to the conversion of the preset to the current FW.

Went back to having frozen switches on my fm3. It seemed fixed but on the last two rehearsals it froze again. Never playing at home… must be something related to using the switches more between songs or navigating more on the presets. Bummer

Went back to having frozen switches on my fm3. It seemed fixed but on the last two rehearsals it froze again. Never playing at home… must be something related to using the switches more between songs or navigating more on the presets. Bummer
This one is weird. In the last 2 rehearsals I’ve brought the original fm3 power cable (I was using an spare one from an eleven rack that I have on the rehearsal room)… not a single freeze.

This week I will bring that cable home an see if the unit freezes here (never done it… only at rehearsal)

I have rebuilt my preset. So far I have no problems with the FM3 freezing.
Seems to be probably due to the conversion of the preset to the current FW.
I have having the foot switches on my FM3 freeze really often and I'm wondering what I can do about it. My CPU is well below 80% and this has been happening for well over a year through various updates. I saw what you wrote here and I'm thinking that it could possibly be corrupt presets. Thinking about doing a factory reset and reloading the latest firmware. Have you had any more issues since rebuilding your presets?

Thanks to Knut from G66, we found the culprits : 2 of my presets were corrupted & were freezing the FM3. I redid them from scratch with copying manually screen captures of every page. Now my FM3 never freezes again !
Are you still freeze free as well?

Are you still freeze free as well?
Yes! No freeze again. To find the guilty corrupted preset is a long way. Start from empty memory, or factory presets. Then load one user preset and wait or do whatever you thought was bringing the freeze. If no freeze load another one, etc until you found an obvious wrong one.

Yes! No freeze again. To find the guilty corrupted preset is a long way. Start from empty memory, or factory presets. Then load one user preset and wait or do whatever you thought was bringing the freeze. If no freeze load another one, etc until you found an obvious wrong one.
Thank you! I only have 3 presets I’m attached to and I built them all off of the same preset, just changing the amp type and re-saving as a new preset so I think I can lose the rest and just rebuild them from screen shots off of Axe Edit.

Last edited:
My unit locks up also. The footswitches show "---", no lights and totally unresponsive after trying to switch presets on random occasions.

I just loaded beta 5.0 to see if that rectified the issue. Nothing worse then playing a gig and having it lock up after switching to my lead channel.

Keep in mind, this happens at random after switching. I am using a 2 channel switch as well, but it happens when hitting a unit button. Is this a hardware issue?

My unit locks up also. The footswitches show "---", no lights and totally unresponsive after trying to switch presets on random occasions.

I just loaded beta 5.0 to see if that rectified the issue. Nothing worse then playing a gig and having it lock up after switching to my lead channel.

Keep in mind, this happens at random after switching. I am using a 2 channel switch as well, but it happens when hitting a unit button. Is this a hardware issue?
How random is it? Is it always the same preset? What’s the CPU on presets that freeze?

I had been making all my presets by saving as a new preset number from the very first one I made. I had read that it’s possible for a preset to be corrupted and that it can cause lock ups on the foot switches. I deleted all my presets and started over from taking a few screenshots of my settings and that has solved the issue for me for now.

I just noticed, that like a noob that I am, I had the View -1 set on the first scene control. I am not sure if this may have caused the system to freak out if I hit it or not. I just unassigned it and will test it to see if this causes the issue again. fingers crossed

Screenshot 2022-01-31 152841.jpg

That is for the HOLD function which allows you to press and hold a far left or right footswitch and it will go up or down preset banks. The unit defaults to that and is normal to be set that way.

Back
Top Bottom