Bug? FM3 randomly freezes (FW4.00 and 4.01)

crdark

Experienced
I have a problem with my new FM3 (I got it nearly one month now): it randomly freezes. It happened four times now. Two times on firmware 4.00 and already two times on firmware 4.01.
I also deleted all factory presets before the last time it froze. I have no third party IRs loaded.

The tempo light is still blinking, but everything else doesn't react (meaning buttons, encoders, footswitches). No audio is coming through. The input LED also freeze with the last signal shown.
It also happened with and without connection to a PC/FM3 edit.

I will attach a complete backup of the unit in few minutes. And maybe a video.

Thank you for starting the thread. The backup is the primary thing we would be looking for. Couple questions:
  1. Have you only been working with unedited factory presets?
  2. Do you have any other external devices connected to the unit?
  3. Have you noticed that this seems to happen more often on a particular preset/scene?

1.: No, I created a couple of presets and only play those.
2.: I have connected a Boss FS5U to 'Pedal 1', and a Hotone dual momentary switch to 'Pedal 2'
3.: No, not really. I also forgot to say here, that it also happened while I performed the new 'preset update' feature.

I uploaded all files from the latest backup below. Last time it happened on preset 006 'Deliverance'. Also I don't use a Cab Block, because I go into a power amp and real cab.

edit: I couldn't upload the user cabs, because the file is too big. But as I said, I haven't added any third party IRs.

edit2:

Attachments

• FM3-210810-235246-bank-A.syx
    3 MB · Views: 7
  • FM3-210810-235246-bank-B.syx
    3 MB · Views: 5
  • FM3-210810-235246-bank-C.syx
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • FM3-210810-235246-bank-D.syx
    3 MB · Views: 4
  • FM3-210810-235246-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
FWIW, yes, my FM3 exhibits the same behavior since firmware 4.0
(i started with 4.0, can't speak for before that) when left on for long periods of time. long periods of time = overnight in my case. When I go to use it the next day it is 'frozen' and requires power off-on to remedy. I have just dealt with it by recycling power. No further details, but would troubleshoot further if requested.

FWIW, yes, my FM3 exhibits the same behavior since firmware 4.0
(i started with 4.0, can't speak for before that) when left on for long periods of time. long periods of time = overnight in my case. When I go to use it the next day it is 'frozen' and requires power off-on to remedy. I have just dealt with it by recycling power. No further details, but would troubleshoot further if requested.
If you know the of a preset that will cause it to lock up if left on overnight, that could be quite helpful!

If you happen to have your tap tempo and tuner on the same footswitch, then this "may" be related to what I encountered.

I had that problem as well and it seemed to be related to have a layout where a single switch was configured as both a tap tempo and tuner (where the tuner function was activated by holding down the tap tempo).

It got noticeably better as later firmware versions came out but never quite went away for me.

I ended up putting the Tap Tempo and Tuner on separate switches and made sure that the tap tempo switch was ONLY a tap tempo and had no secondary or "hold" function.

Since making that change it has not happened even once!

Note that using the tap tempo or tuner didn't appear to be what triggered it. There were no repo steps I could point to as it froze almost randomly. It seemed like simply having tap tempo and tuner configured on the same switch would over time cause it to freeze.

Wasn’t exactly sure where to post this but I have been experiencing the same issues in the post since updating to 4.0 then 4.1. When hooked up to FM3 edit (current version) the unit crashes and the amp block switch’s off and I have a clean sound with no amp block while the unit is in a frozen state. After restarting the FM3 it’s fine but this doesn’t happen often but experienced it a few times.
Cheers

Wasn’t exactly sure where to post this but I have been experiencing the same issues in the post since updating to 4.0 then 4.1. When hooked up to FM3 edit (current version) the unit crashes and the amp block switch’s off and I have a clean sound with no amp block while the unit is in a frozen state. After restarting the FM3 it’s fine but this doesn’t happen often but experienced it a few times.
Cheers
Do you know if this was on a specific preset(s)? If so, that preset and your "System + FC" backup from Fractal-Bot would be appreciated.

Same experience, even worse. My FM3 was freezing from time to time, especially after a program change (whatever program change sent). Since FW 4 & 4.01 it's worse, it's freezing every 2mn, sometimes by itself, when I'm doing nothing. I'm currently on tour & the FM3 kept on freezing during the soundcheck. Only solution is restart, but then you're silenced during 30sec in front of 2000 people, not fun at all. Will try the tuner/tap tempo trick. Only things plugged in are a Sofstep sending program changes (but the FM3 can freeze by itself) & some switches & expression controllers.

My FM3 was freezing from time to time, especially after a program change (whatever program change sent). Since FW 4 & 4.01 it's worse, it's freezing every 2mn, sometimes by itself, when I'm doing nothing.
When you have a chance, please upload a preset or two and your System + FC backup from Fractal-Bot and we can take a look.

My fm3 have froze like 5 times since I got it. I just turn it off and when I turn it back work without issues. One of the times the screen gliched and it had random lines.

My FM3 also frequently crashes - including mid gig which is obviously not an option...
I have recently added an X Sonic Airstep, and Android Musicsheets to my live setup - this was to achieve the ultimate goal of a footswitch to move to the next song -> loading the new song on Musicsheets sends a midi patch change. I have tried allsorts of configurations including and excluding the Airstep in the midi path, and using both wired midi controller and Yamaha BT01 but the FM3 still keeps freezing requiring a hard reset.
I am hoping this can be fixed with a software update as I am pretty invested in this setup now - in the meantime I am running it without midi connection which seems to improve things - but will continue to see if that does indeed stop the crashing.

Update, running the fm3 with only 2xexpression pedals, guitar input and output xlrs (no midi, no USB) still keeps freezing, so possibly not related to directly to midi after all. The crash can be brought about by changing scenes/ patches rapidly, which could be replicating midi instructions which do the same, particularly when 'flicking through setlists' with patch changes set up.
Also my main patch is reletavely complex and the freezing seems to happen more when using it - I will attempt to simplify to see if that makes a difference. I have attached a patch that causes the issue - the switch layout is set to toggle scenes 1/4 2/5 3/6 - keep pressing and it eventuall y freezes...
I may also try a re-install of the firmware.
How do I log this as a potential bug (assuming mine is not a faulty unit)?

Attachments

• JH Band 1.4.syx
    24.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Update, running the fm3 with only 2xexpression pedals, guitar input and output xlrs (no midi, no USB) still keeps freezing, so possibly not related to directly to midi after all. The crash can be brought about by changing scenes/ patches rapidly, which could be replicating midi instructions which do the same, particularly when 'flicking through setlists' with patch changes set up.
Also my main patch is reletavely complex and the freezing seems to happen more when using it - I will attempt to simplify to see if that makes a difference. I have attached a patch that causes the issue - the switch layout is set to toggle scenes 1/4 2/5 3/6 - keep pressing and it eventuall y freezes...
I may also try a re-install of the firmware.
How do I log this as a potential bug (assuming mine is not a faulty unit)?
Please upload your system+fc settings

Back
Top Bottom