FM3 ...pros and cons over axe iii

vejichan

Inspired
What are the pros and cons of fm3 over axe iii? If all u use is a noise gate, tubescreamer, amp head, cab Ir and delay or chorus

What are the pros and cons of fm3 over axe iii? If all u use is a noise gate, tubescreamer, amp head, cab Ir and delay or chorus

Based on your usage and beyond the obvious differences in form factor, the Axe-FX III will probably continue getting newer models and improved algorithms before the FM3. I think people would also argue that the Axe-FX III is a probably better option if you're also using it as your DAW interface.

I've got the III, but I'm also on the waitlist for the FM3. Most of my live presets are similarly simple, and the FM3 will be perfect for me.

Your eyes tell you most of what you need to know.
Do you work in a home studio mostly or play gigs?
They both do all that and more but one is a foot switchable box and one is a rack unit with tons more I/O.

With FW version 1.06...

Cons
  • FM3 does not support ultra res IRs.
  • FM3 does not support performance pages.
  • FM3 may never get the drive block update or pitch block updates due to increased CPU usage of those two blocks. FAS has not confirmed whether these updates will be ported, but we are hopeful.
  • FM3 amp modeling is a couple releases behind the AxeFX III
  • Preset and Scene switching on the FM3 is not as fast as the AxeFX III
  • The Diffusion parameter was removed from the delay block due to CPU limitations
  • FM3 does not support global blocks
Pros
  • FM3 is more portable
  • FM3 sounds great!
  • FM3 has enough processing power to easily run the blocks you listed
I'm sure there are other things I am missing... And FW version 1.07 is due soon which could change a few of these things if they are implemented.

Read the FW 1.06 thread. FM3 has had reports of USB/audio interface problems (by some users, not all) over the last 6 months that were supposedly fixed in the last two updates. Still having reports of problems from some users.

Considering price and footprint differences I would say there are no Cons for your usage. You will sound GREAT.

If you're not the programmer who has to develop stuff, it's easy to say something is "simple". It isn't.

I used to make a living developing software and algorithms. The economy mode is the current one. It's already developed. A better drive algorithm would need to be ported from the FX III. Primarily it's a matter of which subroutine to invoke. The issues could be memory limitation to store the different code, or synchronizing throughput due to differences in latency, etc.

Last edited:
I used to make a living developing software and algorithms. The economy mode is the current one. It's already developed. A better drive algorithm would need to be ported from the FX III. Primarily it's a matter of which subroutine to invoke. The issues could be memory limitation to store the different code, or synchronizing throughput due to differences in latency, etc.

The current algorithm in the FM3 (for some of the Drive types) is not the economy one, it's a totally different one when compared to the Axe-Fx III's. There are tonal differences between the two, output level differences, other parameters, and the controls operate differently ...
Because of this, an "Economy" switch in the Drive block (to switch between the two algos) would have unpredictable results, confusing for the user.

PS I really hope that FAS finds a way to transport the new drives and pitch to the FM3.

For me, being a long time Fractal guy, what comes to mind "( in my circumstance ") is "overkill". Once again, that is my assessment for myself.

Besides the missing ultra res IR's and delay diffusion (that can help to eliminate the reverb block for most patches and use less CPU capacity) FM3 does respond 200% to my needs. Normally these 2 subjects will be implemented as FAS said they're working on that, just a bit of patience.
Great sounds and the ideal size. AXIII would be way too much for me.
The only inconvenient for me is having the UI on the floor while tweaking at home l...but well...it's a floor unit so....
Yesterday I had a first rehearsal with the fm3 and it all worked out good for me.

Back
Top Bottom