FM3: play connect your iOS, Android or PC or Mac?

csassakb

Inspired
All

I saw this from the FM3 FAQ page and wanted clarification. I am waiting to get the email so I can order one.

How do I play along with songs and backing tracks?
It’s easy! You can connect your iOS, Android, PC, or Mac via USB and play through the FM3 audio device. Note that you may want to go to SETUP:I/O : USB and turn down the level initially for USB 1/2.

Can someone elaborate on this? If we can play along with songs and backing tracks, how exactly would the setup be at home?

Best wishes to you all and be safe
Curt

It's literally spelled out there:

Connect your device with USB

Play audio thru the FM3 audio device (which will appear when connected)

Edit:

Apologies if my answer was a little terse. I'm a tech guy and sometimes I forget not everyone may be as computer savvy.

The post from @Jeremiah Pierson below made me realize I could have provided a better reply.

Last edited:
Hi Curt,

The FM3 is a USB audio interface. The easy way to explain this is your computer audio will come out of your FM3. A simple walk through of this would be connecting your computer to the FM3 USB port and change the output device on your computer to be the FM3. You attach speakers to the output of your FM3 and you can play music from your computer while playing your guitar. They mention that you might need to lower the USB volume on the FM3 because it will likely be louder than your guitar signal.

I personal don't do it this way because it means changing my audio output device every time I connect my AF3. I have a USB audio interface attached to my computer via USB with an S/PDIF input that I attach my AF3 to. I then have my monitors connected to my Audio Interface and I play audio from my computer and AF3 audio through that interface. For me it's easier because of disconnecting my AF3 every weekend for worship.

I'm sure there are other ways this can be accomplished but this has worked for me. I hope this helps.

Jer

Hey all. Maybe someone can help here. I am using the FM3 with blue amplified headphones out of output 2 using a y cable. It works great for silent playing. I doubled output 1 on output 2 in the global settings so every setting has output 2 as well. My issue is that when I connect my iPhone using the lighting to USB cable I can’t get any music from the phone to go out of output 2, all the music will play only out of output 1. I’m not sure if this is an early bug or if there is something i am missing here. I have the USB playback set to output 2 so it theoretically should go back into output 1 as well but it doesn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Hey all. Maybe someone can help here. I am using the FM3 with blue amplified headphones out of output 2 using a y cable. It works great for silent playing. I doubled output 1 on output 2 in the global settings so every setting has output 2 as well. My issue is that when I connect my iPhone using the lighting to USB cable I can’t get any music from the phone to go out of output 2, all the music will play only out of output 1. I’m not sure if this is an early bug or if there is something i am missing here. I have the USB playback set to output 2 so it theoretically should go back into output 1 as well but it doesn’t. Any thoughts would be appreciated
You have to use output 1 if you want music and guitar...thats the way it works.

I suppose you could modify your preset(s) to route that audio to output 2. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to connect your headphones to output 1.

P.S. The headphone workaround instructions I've seen show plugging into output 2. I guess that saves you from getting an XLR adapter, but the output you want to plug into is output 1, not output 2. Output 1 is the one that behaves the same as the missing headphone port, not output 2.

Last edited:
Yes. I guess the music won’t route to output 2 no matter what as it’s not part of the signal chain. I guess I will need an adapter for output 1. Thanks for the answers.

I suppose you could modify your preset(s) to route that audio to output 2. Otherwise, yeah, you'll have to connect your headphones to output 1.
I think this is currently impossible on the FM3. USB audio input goes directly to Output 1 and does not collect $200.

It's literally spelled out there:

Connect your device with USB

Play audio thru the FM3 audio device (which will appear when connected)

Edit:

Apologies if my answer was a little terse. I'm a tech guy and sometimes I forget not everyone may be as computer savvy.

The post from @Jeremiah Pierson below made me realize I could have provided a better reply.

I’m trying to hook up my iPhone to play audio backing tracks through my FM3
I plug-in my iPhone 10, using a lightning cable into the USB-A input on the back of the FM3
I play music on my iPhone, and I can hear through the speakers of my iPhone, but I see no input lights on the FM3, and no sound comes out of the two speakers that I have hooked up to output one of the FM3

i’ve gone to setup, I/O, USB tab, and confirmed that USB 1/2 is currently at about 1 o’clock, or 2 dB

whem I play guitar, I’ve got lots of volume.

help?

I’m trying to hook up my iPhone to play audio backing tracks through my FM3
I plug-in my iPhone 10, using a lightning cable into the USB-A input on the back of the FM3
I play music on my iPhone, and I can hear through the speakers of my iPhone, but I see no input lights on the FM3, and no sound comes out of the two speakers that I have hooked up to output one of the FM3

i’ve gone to setup, I/O, USB tab, and confirmed that USB 1/2 is currently at about 1 o’clock, or 2 dB

whem I play guitar, I’ve got lots of volume.

help?

You have to use the USB-B port. That unused USB-A port is gonna confuse a lot of people.

You have to use the USB-B port. That unused USB-A port is gonna confuse a lot of people.

Thank you, the manual is not very clear at all about that…

So I need a Male lightning to a male USB-b connector - nothing seems available like that...

Thank you, the manual is not very clear at all about that…

So I need a Male lightning to a male USB-b connector - nothing seems available like that...
I don't think a lightning to USB B is your best bet.

The one I bought functions on only 1 of my iOS devices.

You want the camera adapter.

I don't think a lightning to USB B is your best bet.

The one I bought functions on only 1 of my iOS devices.

You want the camera adapter.
Yeah, definitely go with the camera adapter. I have an aftermarket copy of one that repeatedly fails to connect. My real Apple one is rock solid.

Hi all, looking to try this out with my FM3 and IPhone. Can I just confirm before purchasing- it’s the Apple Lightening to USB3 Camera adapter I need?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom