FM3 phantom powering RJM GT controller

jmjohnson

Hello all! I’m looking at controlling my FM3 with an RJM GT/22 soon. My question is this - can it be phantom powered via the FM3? I know the FM3 will power the FC6 and FC12, but was curious if it would do the same for the GT/22. If so, would it also control the FM3 via this connection or would I need to connect a MIDI cable between the two?

It does not send power over midi. The 6-pin of the MMGT/22 is unique to RJM and not an XLR cable.

The FAS Link outputs 12 volt power but that GT/22 has a pretty big power draw (1,500mA) so probably not an option for you. I am using that output to power my MIDI expression pedal using an adapter. It looks like the FR12 draws 1,000mA. Does anybody know what amperage the FASLink can provide?

We can only speculate that since the FC family of controllers require a 1000mA supply. The FM3 should theoretically also provide 1000mA

You'll need the RJM phantom power midi box to power over 7-pin midi. Works great. Used one for years with a MMGT/16.

You'll need the RJM phantom power midi box to power over 7-pin midi. Works great. Used one for years with a MMGT/16.
From the "Power and Daisy Chaining" Section of the wiki:

"Only the first FC controller gets its power from the Axe-Fx III, FM9 or FM3 through FASLINK. Additional FC controllers have to be powered separately through their power ports. Use a 9-12V power supply, 1000 ma, negative center, 2.5mm barrel."

It's pretty safe to assume that FASLINK roughly equates to a standard guitar pedal adapter (i.e, a 1-Spot), and will accomplish similar tasks.

Most pedals don't come close to drawing 1000mA, but I would definitely be sure to check the specific requirements of anything you plan to power off of FASLINK, and reiterate my caution about attempting to draw too much current from your FM3!

Is there a one spot type adaptor that anyone makes, which can be plugged into the FAS link port instead of a wall ? And the other end is the usual 9V lead to power a couple of pedals.

There are many ways you can can convert the 12V FASLINK power to 9V. I preferred to use a buck converter and place it inside an XLR housing.

Works like a charm and you can easily build a few of them for under $20.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 25
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 25
There are many ways you can can convert the 12V FASLINK power to 9V. I preferred to use a buck converter and place it inside an XLR housing.

Works like a charm and you can easily build a few of them for under $20.
Yep, something like this is what I was hoping to buy. Neat.

Is there a one spot type adaptor that anyone makes, which can be plugged into the FAS link port instead of a wall ? And the other end is the usual 9V lead to power a couple of pedals.

If you don't want to solder: Engl Powertap Portable.
It's a VERY small and cheap box but with similar content, it's a converter to get 9V.
But - limited to around 800mA, so you need to check that first.

The MMGT GT/22 requires a 2A power supply, and may cause damage and/or unreliable operation with a lower powered supply. You can power it over 7 pin midi or directly with the supplied computer-type power supply. I doubt the FM3 is designed to carry that kind of load as a daisy chained connection.

The MMGT GT/22 requires a 2A power supply, and may cause damage and/or unreliable operation with a lower powered supply. You can power it over 7 pin midi or directly with the supplied computer-type power supply. I doubt the FM3 is designed to carry that kind of load as a daisy chained connection.
Oh yeah, this is really important.

The FC units only require 1000mA and the FM3 is not designed to power anything that requires more current. You could easily fry something in your FM3 by attempting to power the GT/22 with it.

Back
Top Bottom