FM3 Owner Confused!

golfski

Hey All,

I've had my FM3 for a few months and have been playing with Headrush 112's and headphones. This is great for portability when I take my rig - but I have been wanting to build out a speaker cab setup for my home studio. I am a n00b when it comes to this stuff - so have some questions on what to get - I'll be honest, I know how to load presets and play my guitar, I never played in tube/combo amps that I've set up but want that amp in the room feeling.

With money being no issue and wanting a vintage 'Marshall' looking cabinet, what do I do? Can I just by a Marshall Speaker Cabinet and a Solid State Amp head and that's all I need? I've read a lot on the f12-200x celestian speakers - it looks like these are specifically FRFR speakers? Does anyone sell a 4x12 stereo cab with these speakers in it? Or can I just buy an older Marshall Cab and replace the speakers with these?

Honestly I am super confused on how to use the FM3 with a real cabinet/amp head (or just an amp and plug into FX return?). I want to be able to dial in tones and all that - but don't know enough about all this and worry I'd just be doubling things up, etc..

Assume I am an idiot with money to burn, so would love recommendations on what to buy (and what it means!).

No input?

I've been doing some research and think I understand what I need. I picked up 4 F12-200x speakers and a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700. Now I am searching for a cabinet. I have bene looking at the 1960A(V) and 1960B(X) cabinet enclosures. A question I have is around swapping the speakers - I assume I can put the F12's in the box and use the PS700 and that's all that I need? Do I need to upgrade anything in the cabinet itself if its going from a 100W -> 800W speaker configuration?

Also - any where I should look for just the cabinets without speakers? I really want the vintage Marshall look, but trying not to just buy a new one and swap the speakers. I assume I can resale the speakers? I found a 1960BX close to me with Greenbacks, but since I need FRFR F12's, I assume I could just sell the speakers to recoup some costs?

Also - 1960A vs B - tonally, will one be better than the other for the FM3 and modelers?

Pretty sure those Celestion speakers are tuned and voiced to work in a specific Celestion
spec'd cab. Could have amazing, mixed, or disastrous results putting 4 of them in a 4 x 12.

Pretty sure those Celestion speakers are tuned and voiced to work in a specific Celestion
spec'd cab. Could have amazing, mixed, or disastrous results putting 4 of them in a 4 x 12.

Thanks! I figured the1960 type cabinets would be good based on the demo in the Sweetwater video where they put these in a 1960A cabinet. It sounded like they did 2 f12 and 2 triple cone but I liked the f12 sound better so went with all 4.

Again, I am a total noob so just want to make sure I am not missing something...[/MEDIA]

I think @la noise is probably right:
I personally can't imagine that any speaker designed for something closer to full range would sound good in a standard 4x12, regardless of what someone trying to sell me the speakers said, but my first response will always be: "TRY IT AND SEE." Er. Hear.

Enclosures for speakers are designed around the speaker(s). More specifically, the low end response is VERY significantly altered by the box design. Now you may be lucky with your mounting the speakers in your guitar cab... or not. If the cab is closed back, not ported, you have a better chance of getting a good sound out of it. Where it may go weird is with the high end. I don't think the Celestion is design ed to work in a array. And a 4x12 is, as far as high end is a concerned, an array. Here again, you might be lucky. But more likely than not, you;re going to have phase issues and weird sounds as you move across the field of the speaker.

Enclosures for speakers are designed around the speaker(s). More specifically, the low end response is VERY significantly altered by the box design. Now you may be lucky with your mounting the speakers in your guitar cab... or not. If the cab is closed back, not ported, you have a better chance of getting a good sound out of it. Where it may go weird is with the high end. I don't think the Celestion is design ed to work in a array. And a 4x12 is, as far as high end is a concerned, an array. Here again, you might be lucky. But more likely than not, you;re going to have phase issues and weird sounds as you move across the field of the speaker.

Pretty sure Celestion's 1 x 12 spec'd cab for the F12-X200 is a ported design.

So I just got this all assembled and plugged in and WOW! I about blew my socks off! This thing sounds awesome at low volume and insanely awesome at half/full volume. I’d need to take it outside to even attempt to turn it up all the way.
I went through only a few presets that I normally play and they all sound so much better than my head rush FRFR and my HS5’s

Wow... nice 335!! 🤑
Thanks! That is a recent acquisition and one of the reasons I wanted to get a cab, playing some blues sitting in front of this thing is amazing, the single notes sparkle and feel 3D instead of 2D and flat on my FRFR/monitors.

I played one of these once in a Guitar Center and it looked so beautiful that I knew I had to have it, but when I went to buy it, the salesman showed me why it was still there - a giant crack! So, I have just always scoured Reverb waiting for a Blueberry burst or glacier blue (the one I got) and one finally popped up!

Congrats. She's a beaut! :)

I have some decent guitars, but my 70s Walnut 335 Custom Shop is my biggest guitar splurge ever.

Glad the cab situation worked out for you so well. :)

Back
Top Bottom