FM3 or Line 6 HX Stomp as multi FX

bgrizzmayne

Inspired
Hey Fractal users!

I run a big pedalboard and suhr pt15 IR. A traditional setup with direct to FOH. Recently, my power supplies died on me at a gig. ive had so many tube amps die that I always bring a backup amp.

I was going to purchase an HX stomp for my board. It’d serve as a multiFX device and an emergency direct to FOH device so I’d be covered for backups.

is the FM3 better than an HX stomp for multi fx in light amp modeling situations? The FM3 is much larger and harder to get, plus more money. But do you think it’s worth it?

I realize this is a Fractal forum, but I'm going to say the HX Stomp is the better way to go for a number of reasons. While the Fractal models might be perceived as better, the HX modeling is still high quality, and the crowd will NEVER know the difference. Plus, its less expensive, easier to find (plus no wait), and considerably smaller, and being used as a BACKUP. Hell, I have an Atomic Ampli-Firebox as a backup, and its great. It gives me two quality models on the fly, with a solo boost and delay, impulse response loading so I can run it Direct via XLR out AND still run to my stage amp via 1/4, runs on normal stomp box power - for $300 that's hard to beat. But that's not a multi-fx like you said.

I kind of think the HX stomp would be a better multi FX unit on a board with the modeling serving as an added bonus / backup solution if my rig went down. (since the PT15 is already a direct rig) While i have no doubt the FM3 is a better sounding unit, I wonder if the effects for Fractal are that much better to justify the extra space on a pedalboard.

I don't do much recording, but i've tried to make my live rig also my at home / recording rig so I'm always familiar and using the same gear. previously, I had an axe II i didn't love but used as a recording / home practicing tool. Not practicing with my live rig proved difficult at times, so the PT15 is great for turning my pedalboard & amp into a usable home setup.

I also have a morningstar MC6 as a poormans FC6

I'm selling my Stomp now that I have the FM3. Honestly there's no comparison in terms of versatility and quality. The Stomp is quite usable. It's not nearly as good. IMHO.

True. I would expect for for the difference in price.
But for a backup tho? Something to just toss in a gig bag in case the stuff hits the fan?

I guess it just comes down to what you need from a backup. some people buy a whole second rig (ie backup their Axe FX3 with another Axe FX 3). Other just have something on hand to make usable guitar tone and call it good.

I'm looking to use the unit as a multi FX unit on my pedalboard, and as a direct to FOH backup solution with amp modeling. I'd make a different preset in the event that my amp blew a fuse, tube, or something.

My amp does channel switch via relay. I wish the HX Stomp did this (the HX effects does, but no amp modeling and is gigantic)

I should grab a used stomp at a low price and see if I can get by, and maybe consider an FM3 upgrade when they're more readily available.

I'm looking to use the unit as a multi FX unit on my pedalboard, and as a direct to FOH backup solution with amp modeling. I'd make a different preset in the event that my amp blew a fuse, tube, or something.

My amp does channel switch via relay. I wish the HX Stomp did this (the HX effects does, but no amp modeling and is gigantic)

I should grab a used stomp at a low price and see if I can get by, and maybe consider an FM3 upgrade when they're more readily available.

Be aware that the FM3 is the basically same size as the HX FX for your board.

the HX Stomp is very small. i wouldn't call it normal sized and the FM3 gigantic. the FM3 is small. the AX8 is normal sized. the Helix is large.

As a portable backup, the Stomp is hard to beat. Just make sure you use 3rd party IRs and you can get perfectly useable sounds for a fraction of the cost and wait time.

The HX Stomp to me is hands down the best pure value for a simple, inexpensive effects and amp modeler. The Fractal stuff pre-Ares was somewhat better but I’d agree that no crowd would know or care. But, it takes more work - youwant some IRs and spend more time tweaking as the presets aren’t much to write home about.

The headphone quality sucks, there are CPU limitations that hold you to say 4-5 effects + amp + IR. You may find yourself adding pedals with it and so on.

But hey they’re like $650 maybe less than $500 used and there are presets everywhere.

You are right about the presets; I had a quick listen and then deleted them all to avoid distraction:) Horrible and a bad selling point if people still go to music shops.

I did see that the next update is slated to include 8 blocks in the chain instead of 6.

I've got a Stomp, a Helix floor, a Kemper and an Axe II XL. Waiting for the headphone version of the FM3. All are good in their own way but lately I've been using the Stomp quite a bit as an interface for recording. Super portable. Plus it has Revv models which are amazing. Once I get the FM3, we'll see how it compares but I'll keep both regardless. I may unload the Axe II. So, that's my answer. Both.

Back
Top Bottom