FM3 or Line 6 HX Stomp as multi FX

I owned the Helix for a few years and was always tweaking trying to get the amp tones to sound satisfying. I got them to sound pretty good and was somewhat happy but was forever trying to improve. When I first unpacked my Axe FX3 I was more satisfied with the sounds straight out of the box before I even turned a single knob. I just got it in January and I can’t imagine using anything else. I have my main tones dialled in. I still tweak but that’s just for some variation or if I want to go on an adventure with an amp model I haven’t played with yet. The only risk in choosing fractal is that you might be tempted to sell off the rest of your rig at which point you may wish you had gone with axe FX 3. No more amp heads dying and carrying back ups, complex cabling that can fail etc. I also think between the Stomp and the FM3 you need to consider the rate and quality of updates. Once every 18 to 24 months for a few new features vs meaningul updates almost weekly. You think the modelling is as good as it can get and then an update comes out that improves it even more, and as I said that’s almost weekly. Although that’s from the Axe FX 3 perspective I’m only guessing that FM3 updates happen as frequently but for sure they’ll be far more frequent than the stomp.

You’re wasting your FM3 if you have it as backup. I’d use a stomp because it will get you by in case of emergency.

You said you had issues with tube amps dying.... Maybe consider a III or an FM3 to replace your tube amp. They are easily good enough to be a replacement while the stomp is good enough for backup.

Lots of good answers. I've owned both. IMO:
Amps: FM3 is better
Cabs: Equal
FX: Hlx has more variety, FM3 sounds better
U/I: think the Hlx is easier (I've owned multiple: L6, Boss, Atomic, etc)
$: Hlx

Pros and cons. All that said.... The Reverbs on the FM3 sound AMAZING and clean amps on the FM3 are awesome. And if part of your sound = clean guitar with reverb, FM3 is the clear winner.

Assuming I'll be dialed in shortly with my FM3 I plan to use as my primary device when gigging resumes in 2021. My backup, unless huge money gigs start pouring in, not, lol, will be a miniboard what I already own and use today: Korg Tuner > Barber LTD > Shift Line Twin Reverb II > Keeley Caverns. That little Twin box has an IR loader and bypass. Great clean Twin electric sounds, and with the IR bypassed, works nicely for acoustic too !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom