FM3 Now Shipping

It looks like 1 month of waitlist has gotten invites in the last 11 days. Optimistic that I will get my invite for my Sept waitlist date by mid December, which is fine.

Are most people on the FM3 waitlist getting a Fractal unit for the 1st time or upgrading from AX8 or AXE-II/IIXL?
Hi @ShaqJamin, I'm a long term AF2 user that got on both waitlists and now have both the FM3 and AF3! I sold my AF2 MKII that was in mint condition to pay for the FM3. So, I only had to save for the AF3! I received both last week and have been configuring and organizing things in my home studio and rack while thinking about how to implement OMG9 and other layouts to take advantage of both units! But, I have been burning out my fingers and evenings just goofing around with things and these new units are simply AWESOME! :guitar: 🤘 :cool:

It looks like 1 month of waitlist has gotten invites in the last 11 days. Optimistic that I will get my invite for my Sept waitlist date by mid December, which is fine.

Are most people on the FM3 waitlist getting a Fractal unit for the 1st time or upgrading from AX8 or AXE-II/IIXL?
I’ve been on Helix for a long time now, just never been able to justify spending the extra money on an Axe FXIII. I decided to try out the FM3 to see if I like the Fractal stuff. If my experience with the FM3 goes well, I may end up swapping my Helix Floor for an Axe FXIII.

...... If you look a few pages back, someone posted a graph of the amount of days on waitlist. .......

Since the beginning of October, we seem to be following the slope of the trend line.
Current waitlist tenure is about 160 days - as gleaned from the information in this thread.
Of course, this is all fun and guesswork.
Last day of fall is December 20. If I recall correctly, FAS indicated they're prediction was to clear the waitlist this fall.

1604495519771.png

Here's the graph 'zoomed in' to the last month

1604495672940.png

The device UI? I would say >98% of the editing I have done on the AX8 is via AX8 Edit. Yes, the UI is not easy, but not prohibitive (IMO) if controlled via USB for editing.

The other guitarist in my band just purchased the Headrush because of ease of the UI. I just can't understand why someone wouldn't use their computer to design patches instead of the built-in UI...

Some people don't want to be tethered to a computer to edit things. Plugging in and out USB is an extra step, so it turning on your computer. That said the onboard UI isn't that bad to use, I find most peoples biggest barrier to using it is they don't spend any time getting familiar with where things are.

That said, I wish the buttons on the front panel were a little easier to use by feel. black on black and all feeling the same makes it really easy to use the page back/forward instead of the nav down, etc.

Last day of fall is December 20. If I recall correctly, FAS indicated they're prediction was to clear the waitlist this fall.

I thought it was "By the end of the summer"

The device UI? I would say >98% of the editing I have done on the AX8 is via AX8 Edit. Yes, the UI is not easy, but not prohibitive (IMO) if controlled via USB for editing.

The other guitarist in my band just purchased the Headrush because of ease of the UI. I just can't understand why someone wouldn't use their computer to design patches instead of the built-in UI...
I think the FM3 and Axe3 onboard interface is brilliant and easy! Personally, I couldn't get the nuance I love with just basic parameters on a GUI.

Trying to keep my motivation up as this list CREEPS along lately. This will be my first Fractal product and I have high expectations.

I keep checking out alternatives. YouTuber John Cordy confirms what I've suspected by trying to read between the lines of so many reviews (specifically of HX Stomp vs FM3). He says in this video that he feels the need to defend Helix products because of perceived snobbery. He also admits he is not yet adept at the Fractal UI.

I just find it interesting because I'm losing count of YouTube reviews that seem to ultimately be noncommittal (mustn't anger any companies or they might not send you free stuff to review in the future).

Sorry for the long post, just sort of venting/ranting.

I just got on the wait list 10 days ago so I am in the same situation of patiently waiting. I also saw the video you posted above. The way I see it is everyone has a different purpose on how they will use a modelling device. The technology has come a long way and most of them will get you sounds you will like with some sonic differences. The one commonality I personally find out of all the reviews is the FM3 seems to have a more fuller sound. Granted you have to take YouTube reviews with a grain of salt as who knows what adjustments have been made to the sound but the FM3 just sounds better. In his video he talks about what he does and does not like about both units which is great to understand some of the differences. What he prefers probably does not apply to me as my intentions are different so I am OK with him not voicing his opinion on which is better. I will be using it strictly for home use so, for example, the limitation of 3 foot switches is not a issue. I may add an expression pedal down the road. People should buy what sounds good to them and that is has the feature function you need. If the interface is not as easy as others that is fine, invest the time time to learn how to use. While I wait I did buy the HX Stomp a couple of days ago to familiarize myself with a modeling box. This will help to pass the time.

I just got on the wait list 10 days ago so I am in the same situation of patiently waiting. I also saw the video you posted above. The way I see it is everyone has a different purpose on how they will use a modelling device. The technology has come a long way and most of them will get you sounds you will like with some sonic differences. The one commonality I personally find out of all the reviews is the FM3 seems to have a more fuller sound. ...

I agree with you, but I'm talking about reviewers not being completely forthcoming in the analysis. The most honest review I've found was done by some worship YouTubers. I'm not going to post it, but the reviewer noted the price difference between the FM3 and the HX and just said "it was priced appropriately". I thought that was telling. I'm not trying to dis the Stomp, but I just want the better option. Plenty of people seem happy with an HX and that's fine. As a first time Fractal purchaser, I just want the comfort that I won't be disappointed in the end.

I thought Cordy's video was honest. He mentioned the FM3 is his first Fractal product and he has not used it a lot yet so his comfort level is higher with the other modelers. Only you can make the decision if a product will fit your needs. My suggestion would be to look at what the FM3 offers and whether the feature/function applies to how you will use it. If you do not see any limitations with the FM3 I highly doubt you will regret buying one. It has a powerful processor, great sounding effects and lots of options.

I thought Cordy's video was honest. He mentioned the FM3 is his first Fractal product ...

I think you're still missing my point a bit. If you state in your video you feel the need to defend a certain brand, then that should arouse some suspicion. The fact that he is not comfortable yet with the Fractal UI should suggest that maybe he can't provide a fully informed comparison.

I think you're still missing my point a bit. If you state in your video you feel the need to defend a certain brand, then that should arouse some suspicion. The fact that he is not comfortable yet with the Fractal UI should suggest that maybe he can't provide a fully informed comparison.
I don’t know if there is anything suspicious about it? I think he just has a more tempered approach to gear. I find it refreshing that when JC does use click bait titles for his videos, it’s clear in 20 seconds he’s trolling.

I like the fact he leaves room to change his opinion. There are no definitive answers when it comes to tone. I don’t think you have to be 100% Fractal or 100% Line6 or whatever. It’s like the rest of life.

I thought Cordy's video was honest. He mentioned the FM3 is his first Fractal product and he has not used it a lot yet so his comfort level is higher with the other modelers. Only you can make the decision if a product will fit your needs. My suggestion would be to look at what the FM3 offers and whether the feature/function applies to how you will use it. If you do not see any limitations with the FM3 I highly doubt you will regret buying one. It has a powerful processor, great sounding effects and lots of options.
Agreed.

FM3 to Stomp is not a fair comparison: they’re not playing in the same sandbox. I prefer the algos and sounds in FM3 as of November 6, 2020, but Stomp might be my favourite piece of gear ever: who knows? Haha

I think FM3 would better be compared to full Helix insofar as processing power but I don’t know the exact specs? Feels/sounds that way.

I don't want to take this thread further off track but everything you just said is correct. You can't provide a proper comparison if you are not comfortable with all the products in the review. He said he likes all the products he discussed for different reasons. The FM3 is more money but it offers more flexibility and processing power. He also stated you can get great sounds out of Stomp and the FM3. People really like both products so it comes down to what you need and satisfying those needs. I also think because the FM3 has more functionality and more tweeking available there is a longer learning curve to use it. You have to be will to invest the time but both products will offer great sounds.

Back
Top Bottom