FM3 Now Shipping

China is notorious for stealing IP and making/selling counterfeits.

This is ridiculous in regard to the FM3.
Think about it. Yes, people steal IP. Happens all over, especially in China.
People steal to make a lot of money hoping to capitalize fast before news spreads.
How much money is there in a few weeks of counterfeit modelers?
Sure, you steal a file but now to have to copy all of the hardware.
That's pretty expensive for just a couple hundred fake units.

People steal to make a lot of money hoping to capitalize fast before news spreads.
I think it's not just a few hundred fake units they would be worried about. It's the man power and money they spent creating this glorious firmware and how quick it would go to the highest bidder. Fractal, I think we can all agree, is the top multi-fx and amp sim builders in the world and to lose it all to move units a week faster just doesn't seem worth it.
(My opinion)

One other thing to consider, the AxeIII has been out for a while now. If someone had wanted to steal
Fractal's secret recipes they could have done it from the III - which still is the flagship product today.
It's probably already happened but no-one's invested in copying the hardware required - and again,
how soon before word would get out that units are fake? Fractal has a very strong word-wide base
that would make things extremely difficult for any pirates to profit from theft.

Fractal makes most of the tricky firmware available to the general public via updates anyway.

It is unlikely Fractal will give the Chinese manufacturers access to the firmware, as China is notorious for stealing IP and making/selling counterfeits.

Why wouldn't an IP thief just download firmware from Fractal's site, rather than infiltrating a supply chain to acquire the same firmware? Or even just buy an FM3 or AXE III? I imagine that it has more to do with Fractal doing the QC, but that's just a guess. Maybe other logistical reasons, or tariffs? IDK.

A more likely approach would be to disassemble the firmware and reverse engineer the algorithms. That would have broader applicability and value than trying to create illegal clones. Still unlikely though. I imagine Fractal are encrypting their code at rest and in memory, and have probably taken measures to prevent that from being circumvented. Those measures could be part of the process of loading the firmware onto the devices for the first time, which is why FAS does it and is protective of it. I'm just guessing. I have no idea.

Why wouldn't an IP thief just download firmware from Fractal's site

Yup.

I imagine Fractal are encrypting their code at rest and in memory, and have probably taken measures to prevent that from being circumvented. Those measures could be part of the process of loading the firmware onto the devices for the first time, which is why FAS does it and is protective of it. I'm just guessing. I have no idea.

It's probably a spot on guess and it's certainly one way to do it when you're introducing new tech to the world.
But none of this is new tech from a software/firmware aspect so I can't see why you'd keep doing it that way.
The cost associated with it is probably pretty rough.

Others would do well to repeat the wise words spoken above.

Is it against a rule to discuss Fractal stuff?
Are there guidelines in regard to which topics can or can't be discussed?

1. First and foremost, be civil and courteous. Attacks, insults or harassment of others will not be tolerated.
  2. No excessively foul language, trolling, hate speech, or adult content. Also, don't SHOUT.
  3. None of this stuff like "I can hear something and if you can't hear it you're an idiot." Tone is subjective and personal. If others don't agree with your opinion that's life. Take the "stereophile" nonsense elsewhere.
  4. Respect the moderators and the founders of the forum. The moderators do their job without pay and graciously dedicate their time.
  5. No politics, no religion. There are plenty of other places on the Internet where you can discuss your political leanings and religious beliefs.
  6. It costs money to host this forum. As such it's not a democracy. The guy who pays the bill (me) has the ultimate say.
  7. If you have any affiliation with any other company in the MI industry, you must mention this in your "signature" on this forum. This goes for all employees, representatives, beta testers, affiliates, marketers, endorsers/endorsees, or others associated with any such company in any way. Affiliations must be clearly displayed in an unaltered font (i.e not extremely tiny and very light gray). See this thread for discussion: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/affiliations.102186/
  8. To post any commercial content on this forum, you must apply to become an APPROVED VENDOR. Vendors have their own rules which must be followed. See this thread for discussion:
    https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/vendor-program-and-rules.156235/

Is it against a rule to discuss Fractal stuff?
Are there guidelines in regard to which topics can or can't be discussed?
he didn't say anything about not discussing things.

he said to repeat the words the other guy said implying that people don't know the details about that topic. you can discuss all you want, but if someone doesn't know what he is talking about, is it adding anything to the conversation?

You can discuss all you want, but if someone doesn't know what he is talking about, is it adding anything to the conversation?

This is contradictory.
The very nature of a discussion is talk about stuff, and not necessary things you are well versed on.
If there is no official information then discussions ensue.

There's been a million discussions on Patriot forums about where Tom Brady will play next year.
I don't have a clue about the Kraft business, or Brady and Belichick's thoughts on the subject.
I can still discuss where he might play, and the reasons why, based on my opinions and experience
following the NFL for 40 years.

There's been a million discussions on Patriot forums about where Tom Brady will play next year.
I don't have a clue about the Kraft business, or Brady and Belichick's thoughts on the subject.
I can still discuss where he might play, and the reasons why, based on my opinions and experience
following the NFL for 40 years.
where brady will play isn't determined. everything is a guess. that's discussion about something unknown. this sort of topic welcomes guesses because it's something not known.

how Fractal handles its code privacy is determined. there is a correct answer, and everything else is a guess. that's discussion about something that most don't know the correct answer, but insinuate that they do. this sort of topic makes guesses seem silly since there is a determined answer.

very different situations.

how Fractal handles its code privacy is determined. there is a correct answer, and everything else is a guess. that's discussion about something that most don't know the correct answer, but insinuate that they do.

Please provide an example if the bolded part is directed at me in any way.

If you are asking me not to discuss anything except the product itself, please make that clear.
Thank you.

Years back we had a couple hundred units in the warehouse that needed to be updated.
My company paid my teenage son and two of his friends to come in and do nothing but flash for 2 days straight!!! :oops:

UN-PACK -
trenchcoat-flasher-2.jpg
- RE-PACK.

Last edited:
where brady will play isn't determined. everything is a guess. that's discussion about something unknown. this sort of topic welcomes guesses because it's something not known.

how Fractal handles its code privacy is determined. there is a correct answer, and everything else is a guess. that's discussion about something that most don't know the correct answer, but insinuate that they do. this sort of topic makes guesses seem silly since there is a determined answer.

very different situations.

Huh? It could very well be "known" internally. Similar principle to people guessing about Fractal business, code, etc. FAS knows and everyone else guesses.

Back
Top Bottom