FM3 Noise

You may be experiencing a USB ground loop from your computer.

I've noticed that the inputs on the FM3 seem to pick up way more USB ground loop noise than my other devices.

The Input of my Kemper does not pick up any USB ground loop noise from my computer via the USB powered DI, as soon as I switch over to the FM3, boom! all that noise comes in.

This will eliminate almost all of USB ground loop noise. Works like a charm.
https://hifimediy.com/product/hifime-high-speed-usb-isolator/

IMG_1714(2).JPG

IMG_1715(2).JPG

IMG_1716(2).JPG

I've noticed that the inputs on the FM3 seem to pick up way more USB ground loop noise than my other devices.

The Input of my Kemper does not pick up any USB ground loop noise from my computer via the USB powered DI, as soon as I switch over to the FM3, boom! all that noise comes in.

View attachment 70835

View attachment 70836

View attachment 70837

Interesting device - I suppose it works with any type of sound cards, right?

View attachment 70835

View attachment 70836

View attachment 70837
This is very cool just ordered one, I'm always looking for devices that can help with reducing hum/noise, thanks for the tip!

I've used this power strip for the last 3-4 years and can't recommend it enough. Inexpensive surge protection with EMI/RFI attenuation, I have one at home and one in my gig bag. Reduced some of the computer/monitor generated noise at home as well as some lighting system generated noise in an auditorium.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SS6Block--furman-ss-6b-6-outlet-power-strip
Yup, agreed... I have two of them they are very good at filtering noise and they have a nice long cord too which I especially like.

Does anyone know if there is similar noise with the Axe-Fx III? I remember noise issues with my Axe-Fx II over a year ago, especially as notes decayed. I finally sold it waiting for the FM3. Bought a Helix Stomp to hold me over. Not nearly as fun as Axe-Fx and more difficult to get a decent sound...but, no similar noise issue.

I have a Fuhrman AC-215A that everything runs through in the home studio: computer and all audio. I use a Fuhrman SS-6B for with the laptop for remote recording and or the FM3. I have no problems when I use quality power conditioning. I have nothing but trouble without it. The FM3 is quiet USB or not, except for what guitar pickups contribute as antennas for EMI (which can be significant) and whatever snap, crackle and pop is part of the accurate modeling of a the gain staging in the amp.

@DaveO, did you get your USB isolation box? Any report? I am having the same issue. Thx.
Yes I did just the other day, thanks for the follow up 22frets... you should know its on my desk, thanks for reminding me! very good shipping btw... Kudos to you and your post too! as I'm always looking for anything that can reduse RF and or cycle hum....... I'll get it hooked up later this evening if time and wife permits and report back!
No brainier for a USB noise reduction solution since its the first one I have ever seen...
I'll do a FM3 recording with and without and post it.
Cheers and GB
DaveO

Yes I did just the other day, thanks for the follow up 22frets... you should know its on my desk, thanks for reminding me! very good shipping btw... Kudos to you and your post too! as I'm always looking for anything that can reduse RF and or cycle hum....... I'll get it hooked up later this evening if time and wife permits and report back!
No brainier for a USB noise reduction solution since its the first one I have ever seen...
I'll do a FM3 recording with and without and post it.
Cheers and GB
DaveO

As others have stated the cause of this noise is also related to the pickups in your computer picking up interference. To be sure you are not also experiencing this symptom, use a long 15'-20' instrument cable and move as far away as possible from your computer.

This was not the case with me but it's worth mentioning again.

The usb isolation box is good when you have to sit next to your computer for example when editing and managing presets with FM 3 edit. I will definetly try it out, too. Thank you 😊👍

I just put an order in yesterday for one, too. Looking forward to trying it out since I'm getting a lot of USB noise from my laptop, which is not at all surprising considering how poorly isolated the USB ports are on laptops in general.

One thing that’s helps with laptops is to unplug the charger and just run on battery. This breaks the ground loop, but limits run time to the charge in the battery. With my old laptop batteries, that is usually about an hour. 😪

There's an issue I have with FM3, right from the first firmware I had it with (1.06). Gate settings on FM3 need to be quite agressive in comparison to Axe Fx II (+15dB average !!), which impacts dynamics. Offset 0dB in both units.
Any possible major cause (offset ?); both units are used in the exactly same environment. I am playing close to the unit (say guitar at 1 meter approximately) at my place. Ground lift switch doesnt't change anything.
Any help would be welcome. It's a subject as for some patches it's not imaginable to let this go through FOH.

Edit : I have a Axe Fx II mark I so no special sauce input circuits or the like

There's an issue I have with FM3, right from the first firmware I had it with (1.06). Gate settings on FM3 need to be quite agressive in comparison to Axe Fx II (+15dB average !!), which impacts dynamics. Offset 0dB in both units.
Any possible major cause (offset ?); both units are used in the exactly same environment. I am playing close to the unit (say guitar at 1 meter approximately) at my place. Ground lift switch doesnt't change anything.
Any help would be welcome. It's a subject as for some patches it's not imaginable to let this go through FOH.

Edit : I have a Axe Fx II mark I so no special sauce input circuits or the like
I believe the threshold changed by 20dB from the Axe Fx II to the III.

I assume the FM3 is the same?

Edit: See here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/noise-gate-settings-between-ii-and-iii.139842/post-1658127

Back
Top Bottom